Cannot decide on ordering a new 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SW79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay. My wife has fell in love with my 2019 2500 crew cab Tradesman. She loves how high it sits and the ride even! However, she wants a Laramie edition (she likes leather and heated/vented seats) 2500 and I cannot find anything on a dealer lot. I have spoke to my local dealer and it's a four to six month wait to get an ordered truck! So the conundrum is I'm trading my truck and her 2017 XLE Toyota Highlander. I do not trust a dealer to hold to a trade-in-price for that amount of time. I'm not going on any long trips to cheat them on mileage and such, but man anything can happen to my truck or her car in that span of time. Dents, deep scratches, or even and accident. I really don't want to be out a $1000.00 down payment if something happens to my trades that would be out of my control. What experiences have you guys had ordering trucks? Good and the bad.

So am I just being a baby about this? (prolly) So, should I suck it up and order the truck or be content with whatever I can find on the lot this spring?
Here are a couple of screen shots of the truck I would like to order. My wife and I love the color. We like chrome! No Night Edition for us.

Steve

ram 2022-2.jpg

ram 2022.jpg

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Perhaps your wife should be making the decisions?.. Just order the truck you want and wait it out. My 2cents

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you don't need
360 View
Heads up Display
Digital Rear Mirror
Optional Camera System
Fancy Sunroof

chances are your Factory Order will take 4 1/2 to 6 months,
It will take longer if you just have to have those items that require extra Microchips, ( there is a shortage of Microchips )

Place your Order before the 10th, the earlier in the month that you place your order, it can decide whether your order goes through in February or is on hold until March.

The larger the dealership, the better chances are for them to have Allotment to place orders.

OP
OP
SW79

SW79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you don't need
360 View
Heads up Display
Digital Rear Mirror
Optional Camera System
Fancy Sunroof

chances are your Factory Order will take 4 1/2 to 6 months,
It will take longer if you just have to have those items that require extra Microchips, ( there is a shortage of Microchips )

Place your Order before the 10th, the earlier in the month that you place your order, it can decide whether your order goes through in February or is on hold until March.

The larger the dealership, the better chances are for them to have Allotment to place orders.
My wife wanted the sunroof. Maybe I should delete that? None of the other options you listed I added. Thank you for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Steve

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Maybe when you sit down with a salesman that actually owns a Ram, if there is such a salesman.

Ask them just what restrictions are currently on Ram orders.
That way, you would know what is available.

Good Luck on getting exactly what you want:)

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just went through this same scenario at a BMW dealer this past week with my wife. She explained what she wanted, and they showed her everything except what she wanted. I believe my last words were "Get it exactly how you want it - don't settle!" So now we wait for the order.
Waiting is temporary. You'll be reminded that you settled for less, and regret your decision, every time you get in the vehicle :rolleyes:. Life's too short!

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m in the same boat.. just spent the last week shopping Rams.. needless to say i am dizzy.. the dealers here have some inventory but they are charging more 5-10k over msrp for the vehicles they have inventory for.. so ordering one is actually the better and less expensive option (from what I’ve seen)

However, i was told @3-4months wait.. not sure if i could wait much longer.. honestly.. I almost pulled the trigger and left a deposit today.. but the trade scenario has me a little skeptical. The market is inflated, my appraised value today, probably won’t be what it is in 3-4mo..

There is a local truck at another dealer optioned very close to what i have in mind.. I’m going there tomorrow to see if they will give it to me for MSRP (I highly doubt it).. otherwise I’ll just order one and.. wait.. in the meantime, I’ve listed my truck privately to see what it brings..

Good luck

OP
OP
SW79

SW79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, I have not heard of dealers inflating MSRP anywhere near me. I have heard that dealers are doing this in other states which is not a good business practice with the consumer.
I guess I need to order what we want and wait. I plan on owning the truck for at least ten years. Thanks to all for the great advice. God bless.

Steve

Chris76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, I have not heard of dealers inflating MSRP anywhere near me. I have heard that dealers are doing this in other states which is not a good business practice with the consumer.
I guess I need to order what we want and wait. I plan on owning the truck for at least ten years. Thanks to all for the great advice. God bless.

Steve
Where are you? I’m in south FL.. if this other dealer will sell it to me for sticker without a bunch of stupid add ons like VIN etching, clear coat protectant, and scotch guard for 1.5k$ lol I’ll grab it..

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was lucky when i placed my Order
I had a Senior Salesman that knew his Rams
He also was salaried not on commission
He worked for the Fleet/Internet Sales Dept.

Bigger Dealerships have 3 Sales Departments

Show Room Sales .. these sales persons do not have access to the DealerConnect website, they have to go ask the Sales or Assistant Sales Mangers, who do have access.

VIP Sales/Jeep Sales

Fleet/Internet Sales
You don't have to go to the dealership, most larger Dodge Dealerships have a Internet Sales Dept
You do everything by internet or by phone

OP
OP
SW79

SW79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where are you? I’m in south FL.. if this other dealer will sell it to me for sticker without a bunch of stupid add ons like VIN etching, clear coat protectant, and scotch guard for 1.5k$ lol I’ll grab it..
I'm in Vermont.

Steve

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

Steve
Ten years is a long time to drive around wishing you had ordered the truck you wanted. If it were me, I'd order.

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie doesn’t have much leather in it. Dash, seats, door trim all manufactured , if you want leather get a limited, about 4k more. It will have leather and a pretty grill and projection lights :)

MMiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I vote order it exactly the way you and your wife want it!

We went through the factory order experience in 2021; you can find my full rundown of the process, time, costs, etc... on the post I made called Factory Order - My Full Experience & Timeline

In terms of trade in, we did trade in my old SUV upon delivery of the new truck. The dealer evaluated it and gave me a trade-in value when we ordered the truck. Even though a few months had passed, they just gave it a quick once over and honored that original price when we took delivery of the truck. Our budget wasn't entirely dependent on that trade in. It factored in, but was more like gravy than it was a make it or break it part of the deal. Something could happen in the meantime. If your budget is totally broken if something happens to one of those trade-in vehicles, maybe you should reevaluate your budget or order a less expensive truck. But all-in-all, we went for it, we traded-in, and we couldn't be happier with our new beast!

ps. My wife wanted a sunroof too. I think we could definitly do without it, but gotta keep the wife happy.

Chas0218

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Steve
Several dealers around here are and if they are on the lot expect to pay $3k-$5k over msrp. Heck they are charging over msrp on 3 year old trucks.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Laramie doesn’t have much leather in it. Dash, seats, door trim all manufactured , if you want leather get a limited, about 4k more. It will have leather and a pretty grill and projection lights :)
What helped me decide between the two was awhile back I saw a 2020 Limited Night Edition, leveled and all blacked out switching lanes with those beautiful headlights on. That was enough for me.

bsheen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I ordered mine on 11/6/21 and picked it up this past friday 2/11/2022. Basic Laramie. The dealer here in Adams, NY just put a written stipulation on the mileage for the trade. I was at 80,000 when they looked at it and I couldn't go over 86,000.

LousRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2018
Engine
6.4-3.6
Shame I just traded my 2016 Gas 2500 Laramie Delmonico Red with 12500 miles and it was a garage queen for a new 2022 2500. It looks like the one in the picture.