Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NeilRenegade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently Ive been having problems pumping gas into my EXPRESS 2018 1500 RAM tank. The pump handle keeps clicking off as if the tank is full when its empty or half full. My Mechanic said there's a Vent Solenoid which allows air into the tank which he thinks is blocked ....but he can't find it. Can anyone PLEASE tell me where the blocked Vent Solenoid could be or what they think is causing this issue !?? Thanks in advance !

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This has been an ongoing issue, the remedy most have found is to not insert the nozzle too far into the filler tube, need to find the sweet spot that allows free flow of fuel so it does not click off.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently Ive been having problems pumping gas into my EXPRESS 2018 1500 RAM tank. The pump handle keeps clicking off as if the tank is full when its empty or half full. My Mechanic said there's a Vent Solenoid which allows air into the tank which he thinks is blocked ....but he can't find it. Can anyone PLEASE tell me where the blocked Vent Solenoid could be or what they think is causing this issue !?? Thanks in advance !
It’s not repairable. Lots of info on this site about fuel filling issues. On the pic below the red circle is the location of the “rollover” valve. It’s nothing more than a ball bearing held into a seat with a pressure spring. Removing the steel ball will not fix the problem. I know because I tried and it only made to issue worse. The area of the pic circled in blue is some type of vent but it’s molded into the plastic tank. The second pic is of the inside of the tank showing the vent area circled in blue from the inside and associated hose that runs to the fuel pump.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0467.jpeg
    IMG_0467.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 33

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pic below shows the top of the fuel tank. The white circle in the center is the fuel pump. On the left side is a blue vent that connects to the fuel pump from the outside of tank. I have no idea how it all works but I can tell you that everything is molded into the tank except for the fuel pump. Nothing is replaceable on the tank except the fuel pump. If your mechanic figures out a fix without replacing the tank it would be a great service if you could post it here.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
N

NeilRenegade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gladly will let you guys know what we decide and/ or what fix we figure out . Thanks for the help

OP
OP
N

NeilRenegade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As previously discussed, my Mechanic went ahead and cleaned the Charcoal filter, it was already very clean and made little difference to the problem being discussed here.. It is cold here so we decided that we would wait until the weather got a bit warmer and install a new tank . The Gas neck seems unblocked and basically apart from dropping the Tank there are no definitive answers as of yet. I pumped gas into it today after I picked it up ...I had to only insert about a half inch of the gas pump into the opening of my gas tank neck and squeeze until I filled the tank. It took twice as long but it got done. Instead of plunging all the way into the Tank I just held back a bit and pumped so I could see when the fuel was almost bubbling out then I laid off and went again. Thus far I will have to deal with it until a new Tank can be installed in Spring. Good luck !

LONGHORNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
As previously discussed, my Mechanic went ahead and cleaned the Charcoal filter, it was already very clean and made little difference to the problem being discussed here.. It is cold here so we decided that we would wait until the weather got a bit warmer and install a new tank . The Gas neck seems unblocked and basically apart from dropping the Tank there are no definitive answers as of yet. I pumped gas into it today after I picked it up ...I had to only insert about a half inch of the gas pump into the opening of my gas tank neck and squeeze until I filled the tank. It took twice as long but it got done. Instead of plunging all the way into the Tank I just held back a bit and pumped so I could see when the fuel was almost bubbling out then I laid off and went again. Thus far I will have to deal with it until a new Tank can be installed in Spring. Good luck !
Ironically, I just started experiencing this same issue about a couple weeks ago. Thought it was the pump but my station had many pumps and experienced the same thing at all of them. I did have to use a 5 gallon tube fed gas can a couple days ago and everything went down quite well.

Good to know that I don't have to replace the entire engine just to solve this issue.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not repairable. Lots of info on this site about fuel filling issues. On the pic below the red circle is the location of the “rollover” valve. It’s nothing more than a ball bearing held into a seat with a pressure spring. Removing the steel ball will not fix the problem. I know because I tried and it only made to issue worse. The area of the pic circled in blue is some type of vent but it’s molded into the plastic tank. The second pic is of the inside of the tank showing the vent area circled in blue from the inside and associated hose that runs to the fuel pump.
That's the fuel fill limiter/vent valve. It allows a tank to vent to the carbon canister until a certain point the valve shuts. It's definitely an issue on these and some GM products for some reason.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's the fuel fill limiter/vent valve. It allows a tank to vent to the carbon canister until a certain point the valve shuts. It's definitely an issue on these and some GM products for some reason.
Thank you for that information. I’ll assume that little gem is the five dollar reason we have fuel fill issues. It stinks that it’s not replaceable.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Yes as a previous poster said,pull the nozzle out a little and try again. ive experienced this myself too. That always fixes a touchy shutoff for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517