Cargo Camera Extension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farragut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
About to install shell on my 2018 2500 Crew cab. The A.R.E. MX shell is going to block my cargo camera. I have pulled the cargo camera out of the 3rd brake light but I need a 6 pin wiring harness to extend the camera into the shell or a longer wiring harness to make it a bird's eye camera. I can not find the part number for just the wiring harness for the "CARGO" camera. I have tried all the usual sources online with no luck. I was going to simply cut the wires and splice wire in, but I have heard that there is a special video wire for the camera. Can anyone help a lady out? Thanks!
View media item 27175View media item 27176View media item 27178View media item 27177

OP
OP
Farragut

Farragut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I have tried to start a conversation with Mpgrimm2, but have had no reply as of yet.
I will wait and give it some more time.
Thank you for responding with advice.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have tried to start a conversation with Mpgrimm2, but have had no reply as of yet.
I will wait and give it some more time.
Thank you for responding with advice.
I know he’s been really busy lately.... might try @DeereGuy

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have only had 2 requests for something like this in 3 years and it would need to be researched for individual connector parts, pre purchased and custom built... Time permitting outside of the our regular orders & would likely have a long lead time (I'm about to head out of town for a bit on Monday).

I'll send you a message/conversation shortly with contact info if youd like to discuss this further.

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Another thing to consider... Are we talking about relocating the 3rd brake light signals as well as the camera or just the camera?
ie leave the chmsl in place to keep it sealed up?

M² Mods.

OP
OP
Farragut

Farragut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I am going to buy a cheap replacement chmsl, and drill a hole in the center of it to pass the camera cable through into the shell. I am concerned that the camera cable will not be long enough to get the camera into the shell. I was looking to find an extension for the camera cable only.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Gotcha.
I'm not sure if there is a matching 'male' cable mount 6 pin connector to make the extension. Have to do some digging. I have 1 or 2 is the female ones in a drawer... 1/2 way there.

M² Mods.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did anyone ever find a solution for this?

PatrickLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did something similar today. I have a 31' trailer being towed by my 2500 and wanted to have an in dash backup and observation cam for the trailer. I also have a camper shell so the cargo cam is useless to me. I pulled it out, cut the wires and soldered in my own with a 50' extension at first for proof of concept. It works like a champ.

I used materials I had and here's what I came up with. If I were to test it again I may have used Cat5 cable for the whole run but I wanted to preserve/shield the video signal as much as I could so i used a 4 conductor cable and a coax cable to carry the video signal. Over the 50' extension there is a little degradation of the signal quality but it's still a good picture for backing up.

I also had a chmsl leaking into the cab so I wanted to pull the back seat out and fold the carpet up to dry. This gave me easy access to the floor plugs to run the cables through. The cables run under the headliner to the passenger side, down the column, through and angled hole in one of the plugs, then through and over frame pieces until it comes out at the back bumper for me. There are plugs in the bed you could go through but if I were wiring it for a camper shell I'd probably run it down the driver's side because I think that's where the other wires run in and you can piggy back on their route.

Hope that helps

ligonw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I did something similar today. I have a 31' trailer being towed by my 2500 and wanted to have an in dash backup and observation cam for the trailer. I also have a camper shell so the cargo cam is useless to me. I pulled it out, cut the wires and soldered in my own with a 50' extension at first for proof of concept. It works like a champ.

I used materials I had and here's what I came up with. If I were to test it again I may have used Cat5 cable for the whole run but I wanted to preserve/shield the video signal as much as I could so i used a 4 conductor cable and a coax cable to carry the video signal. Over the 50' extension there is a little degradation of the signal quality but it's still a good picture for backing up.

I also had a chmsl leaking into the cab so I wanted to pull the back seat out and fold the carpet up to dry. This gave me easy access to the floor plugs to run the cables through. The cables run under the headliner to the passenger side, down the column, through and angled hole in one of the plugs, then through and over frame pieces until it comes out at the back bumper for me. There are plugs in the bed you could go through but if I were wiring it for a camper shell I'd probably run it down the driver's side because I think that's where the other wires run in and you can piggy back on their route.

Hope that helps

Got any pics of what your connection at the cab side wiring looks like? I have a friend whose dad is getting older and really needs a brake like camera for hooking up gooseneck trailers but he has a flatbed that would block the OEM location so we want to mount it on the headache rack of the flatbed.

What size wiring was used?

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have only had 2 requests for something like this in 3 years and it would need to be researched for individual connector parts, pre purchased and custom built... Time permitting outside of the our regular orders & would likely have a long lead time (I'm about to head out of town for a bit on Monday).

I'll send you a message/conversation shortly with contact info if youd like to discuss this further.

M² Mods.
I also have a similar question. I ordered the harness from you and my camera has a different connector than the harness. The camera is one pin while the harness is 6. Can you help with this?

Attachments

• 40DCACF4-2E45-4845-B6D1-0CB13A4A3062.jpeg
    40DCACF4-2E45-4845-B6D1-0CB13A4A3062.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 9

LPMASON27612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Here’s the wiring harness connection.

Attachments

• 147D6B66-1D8D-4C7D-88C4-FDA3070AE7B0.jpeg
    147D6B66-1D8D-4C7D-88C4-FDA3070AE7B0.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Here’s the wiring harness connection.
I also have a similar question. I ordered the harness from you and my camera has a different connector than the harness. The camera is one pin while the harness is 6. Can you help with this?

Just an FYI, you did not order a harness from me... Maybe you got it from @DeereGuy or somewhere else.

That said, if your truck is a 2018 4th gen per your signature, then you have the wrong 3rd brake light camera. It won't work.
The camera you show is from a 2019+ 5th gen truck with digital coax/cvpm camera system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500