Casting Sand: 6.4 Hemi HD Coolant Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So. I’m not the only one with crap in my coolant after flushing. I’m so happy to hear. As the gentleman before said. These so called experts that have been in the field for so long don’t know what we are talking about. Ok. How about this. The root cause is casting sand releasing from the block. My truck started about 130-140 k I’ve put 4 heater cores in it. A Radiator and water pump. ROOT cause need some way to seal the inside of block with some sort of liquid. Something similar to the way AMSOIL and Royal Purple does to the inside of the oil passages. It forms a coating of sorts and allows less friction???????? Any ideas ?? External filter won’t work because of flow and pressures. Not enough. ……..Thinking outside the box here. So ….. how about a another tank similar to the overflow tank that can have some screen in it that can be taken out and cleaned then replaces. It would almost have to be on return hose out of engine to radiator ????????! Maybe ??? Anyone else ??? NEED HELP. I have a 3/4 Ton paperweight that I can’t use in winter
This thread is literally proof that you can use a coolant filter, what is making you think you can’t.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Most if not all casting sand rarities would be in the engine block skirts and not water passages if you let jiffy job or loopy lube or anyone unsupervised refill your coolant reservoir with anything but distilled water or coolant there is the source of contamination.
I’m pretty sure the bottom of a radiator would become a sediment catch can for the majority if not already removed by manufacturing process.

Although one of Chrysler’s corporate partners was guilty of this in both iron and aluminum foundries the process has become refined in both the raw materials and digital innovations.

Last edited:

Dren2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
MRACK. Thank you for asking. The filter setup they are talking about is for the Cummings motor. Total different animal. Pressure and flow rates are not even close. Water pumps are totally different. Water pumps shafts on Hemi 6.4 HD. are about the size of a #2 pencil I’ve already had one shear the shaft due to sediment in system. I’m hoping that somebody in this forum would prove me wrong. Also the water pumps have a phenolic vane that very flexible. Until it gets buildup in it and then the shaft shears Now. I agree the new processes that are suppose to be In place andUsed now are better…… but the fact remains it is still done in Mexico and who really knows how quality control works down there. If it is as they say it is then why are all of the people on this forum having the same issue with what appears to be casting sand in the system. Now. I have taken some of the crap I removed from the system and sent it off to a lab I have used in past for oil analysis and am hoping to get it back within 2-3 weeks. I just did it last Wednesday. I don’t know what else to think. I REALLY DO LOVE MY TRUCK It has worked hard for me and now I really want it to last. Sidebar……..MY LAST TRUCK WAS A 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. When I sold it, it had 396K miles on it. All original motor trans , transfer case and rear end. All #s matched. I take care of my stuff. It’s to expensive not to nowadays