Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing brake fluid?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Jendsley06, Jan 14, 2020.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. Jendsley06

Jendsley06 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    So I took my 18 ram to the dealer today for a complimentary oil change as usual, and before they got done I was informed that I needed my coolant and brake fluid both changed. 48k miles service items I believe. This may technically be the recommendation, but since when does the brake fluid ever need changed if it isn't ever opened? I'm not sure about the coolant, but the brake fluid just blew my mind. And when I asked the service advisor about ZF and their recommendation of a 100k service on the transmission, they say they have never done one. Doesn't need it. Even under heavy use...
    And last oil change, they let me know that I was due for an air filter, and this time, it didn't get brought up. Maybe it cleaned itself. LOL

2. crazykid1994

crazykid1994 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Brake fluid should be changed due to heat degradation. I usually do 50,000 miles. Comes out brown and usually feels more responsive after changing. Dot 4 is synthetic and I think is rated to 10 years before you’re supposed to change it. Had a 97 bought at around 90,000 miles that never had brake fluid changed. Changed it at 150,000 and it was jet black. Put in dot 4 and the brakes felt less spongy.
    Edit: I also believe the coolant to be a 10 year 100,000 mile type as well. Not 100 on that though

3. stevenP

stevenP Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 3500 DRW
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    Thats funny, on my 14 the brake fluid looks slightly darker that I thought it should. The service manager at the local RAM dealer told me they never usually swap out brake fluid. He said they could if I wanted the brakes bled, but they usually never do anything like just swap out the fluid, as routine maintenance.

4. RVGuy

RVGuy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I've never done brake fluid on any of my vehicles unless I was opening the system for some reason. I did my coolant flush when the manual said to at 240,000km/150,000miles.
    Air filter they're likely just telling you when the intervals show up on their system. The manual actually lists a distance and time interval for the air filters for some reason.
    As for the trans, I'm on the fence about it. I still have the 6 speed but I've asked some dealers about the 8 and they for the most part haven't done any service on them. For the amount of 8 speeds out there and the amount of people who are likely listening to the dealers and Ram and not doing fluid changes, I've not really heard of any failures at all... It's encouraging to say the least, they also list lifetime fluid on the HD trucks so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    tidefan1967 likes this.
  5. Wild one

Wild one Senior Member

Ram Year:
    14 Sport
    Engine:
    That's only Chryslers recommendation,ZF themselves recommends between if I remember right 80,000 to 100,000 kms for a service on the 8HP70,and seeing as how they build the trannies,i'd probably go with ZF's reconmendations over Chryslers reconmendations

tidefan1967 and crash68 like this.
  6. RVGuy

RVGuy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I know.... I never said they didn't. Just saying that with how many people who are likely unaware of that and listen to the dealers and Ram there is shockingly very very little failures in the 8 speeds. Especially since they've been in use for I think 7 years now?
    If you go on a BMW forum they have failures left and right with their ZF transmissions so I just found it weird that it's so uncommon on the trucks.

Wild one and tidefan1967 like this.
  7. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    That is correct, the OAT coolant is 10 year 100K mile coolant, that printed right on the jug. Even the previous HOAT coolant has a 5 year 100K mile rating.

8. dexter

dexter Banned

Brake fluid should be changed it absorbes water.
    I had brake and steering fluid change d at 50k and can feel the difference.

9. Octane

Octane Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    10 year 150k on OAT

10. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    I blame auto correct ...lol
    OAT.jpg