Changing brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, so I’ll be changing out my front and rear pads and rotors on my 09’ 1500 this weekend. I’ve changed brakes before but this truck is new to me and I didn’t know if anyone had any tips, socket sizes, advice they wanted to share with me?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, I can’t give specific socket sizes. It’s been more than a few days since I felt with my brakes.
However, I will say this; Inspect everything really well!!!

The last time I did the brakes on my 12, I missed a cracked piston. Didn’t find it until the caliper locked up on my the next day.

Someone, somewhere decided that plastic(actually some kind of composite) would be a good material to make brake pistons out of.
082cdbe2e3b60d8b1260c87d10aed832.jpg

The catch is that you will have to pull the dust boots off of the pistons in order to see a crack like this.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's pretty straight forward. I don't remember the socket size however!

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I changed my fronts on my 15 the hardware was rust welded to the bracket. Had to take a hammer and persuade the pads out.

It was a northern truck...

But I had to take low low grit sandpaper (have nothing but hand tools) and sand the hell out of the bracket where the hardware slides.

Then the same job over tightened and broke a bolt in the slide pin hahahaha

A bunch of cursing of a quick drive to autozone later I was done. So basically just like what @TRXHemi said they're straightforward and if you live in a salty state just make sure the pad and hardware slide smooth on the bracket. It caused horrid squeal on mine.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
did you guys replace any of the hardware (slide pins etc)? Is there any service kit for these where those can be replaced and relubed?

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you guys replace any of the hardware (slide pins etc)? Is there any service kit for these where those can be replaced and relubed?

It's usually always a good idea to replace hardware on every change. Or that's what I do. Super cheap at a local part place.

The slide pins you can easily just pull them out clean them off and relube them. Just make sure they're not seized is all. Quick tip don't over tighten the bolt that goes in the slide pin lolol

The type of lube is a bit of a debate with some people but I use this. As long as it's silicone based as that won't hurt the rubber boots.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05361-Si...liper+grease&qid=1558103743&s=gateway&sr=8-13

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get pads that come with the hardware and save yourself a few bucks. I believe the caliper bolts are 13 or 14mm and the caliper bracket bolts are 17 or 18mm. Those are the normal sizes for almost every car with a few variations. Make sure to lube the guide pins, where the pads slide, and get the blue sticky spray (or you can use more lube) on the back of the pads to help them not squeak and work better. I usually use a bottle of silver anti seize that I can get from auto zone and it has many uses other than just cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Understand how to spin the wheel back from behind the hub for the rear emergency brakes... tons of how to videos online.. if you get stuck let me know. I actually bought used calipers to strip and powdercoat but then someone was selling a set of powerstop ones already in red so... if anyone needs parts let me know. I have the ceremic pistons already stripped out.. sliding pins, calipers, brackets, etc..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It's usually always a good idea to replace hardware on every change. Or that's what I do. Super cheap at a local part place.

The slide pins you can easily just pull them out clean them off and relube them. Just make sure they're not seized is all. Quick tip don't over tighten the bolt that goes in the slide pin lolol

The type of lube is a bit of a debate with some people but I use this. As long as it's silicone based as that won't hurt the rubber boots.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05361-Si...liper+grease&qid=1558103743&s=gateway&sr=8-13
Good advice for the OP and thanks for the link.
Wanna try that grease next time. Lithium grease is too thin and hi temp red axle grease in that area scares me.

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Successfully changed out the front and rear pads and rotors this morning. Everything went swimmingly except for the passenger side rear rotor struggled to get off because of the emergency brake being a little tight, But we were able to safely and successfully remove everything. I just wanna say thanks for all the advice and help you guys have provided here for me.

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this is one of the front brake rotors, it has this line going around it. Keep in mind I just put them on this morning and only put about 25 miles on them. I didn’t know if that was a sign that there was something stuck between the pad and the rotor.

D30A2F12-249A-4793-B098-FA634EEA0E36.jpeg

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this is one of the front brake rotors, it has this line going around it. Keep in mind I just put them on this morning and only put about 25 miles on them. I didn’t know if that was a sign that there was something stuck between the pad and the rotor.

View attachment 166572

If you run your nail across the line does your nail catch against it? Or does it smoothly slide across?

Do you live in a area with a bit of gravel?

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that's actually weird that it even goes over the holes.. If it was a peice of rock you would think the hole would catch it and bust it loose or it would fall through the hole.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you hear any noise from them presently? Whatever caused the line could be gone by now. Only way to tell is pull that pad.

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you run your nail across the line does your nail catch against it? Or does it smoothly slide across?

Do you live in a area with a bit of gravel?

Yeah I can feel it with me nail already:favorites68: there is a moderate amount of gravel...as well as asphalt haha. I’m not off-road ever really.

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well that's actually weird that it even goes over the holes.. If it was a peice of rock you would think the hole would catch it and bust it loose or it would fall through the hole.
Right that was my thought. I guess I’ll just keep my fingers crossed it’s gone.

Would it help at all to take some high pressured air to it to see if I can blow whatever it might be out or would that be pointless really?

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think compressed air wouldn't hurt anything at all. But as @ThunderMug95 said the best way to tell would be to look at the pad and see that spot.

I wouldn't think this is possible but brakes have some serious hydraulic force. Maybe depending on the material of the pad maybe a little rock is pressed into the pad?

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll try hitting it with some air tomorrow but if I can feel it with my nail than hasn’t the damage been done already?