Check your tire jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
So, I walked out to my truck, put the keys in and start her up. All I wanted was some chow. Wonderful delicious chow. I look at my display and it says my front right tire is at 19psi. I said "ew, wtf?"

I get out and see and hear my tire slowly deflating. I later found out I had a nail in my tire. Blows ass. Dammit. "Whatever" I say and I get all my crap out to put my spare on.

I get my factory jack out, put it under my truck, where I always do on the frame, I jack up the truck and my tire does not come off the ground. Half of the jack in expanded just to touch the frame. I said "huh, not high enough." My wife says, which pissed me off, "try reading the owners manual....." Keep in mine it was like 85-90 degrees out and I just wanted to get this over with.

I read the manual. It did give me a different location for the jack, which I thought was odd, it was on the A arm. I tried it out, thank god the jack didn't slip, but it still was not high enough.

I put it back on the frame but a tad bit closer to the wheel. Still did not give the lift I need. Nothing chaned and the damn jack was at critical mass. I said " **** it" I pulled the flat tire off and hoped I could get the spare on. Nope lol!!!! I needed like 4 inches of lift. Not happening. The worst is I could not get the flat back on so I could lower the truck and try some blocks on the jack.

I was screwed. Up **** creek with no paddle. I called roadside (embarrassing) that came straight from the factory when I got my truck. Worked great!!! Like a damn AAA service. Waited about 20mins max. He showed up and helped my out of my pickle.

Said the jack placement was perfect and that my jack (that came from RAM) was to small and didn't not have the reach to lift my truck. He recommended I keep blocks on me or by a new jack.

Discuss.....

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Very interesting. I will check the jack on my new 2014 this weekend. I would like to know what your dealer has to say about this issue.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I used mine last week to rotate my tires. Worked fine for me, although I would prefer a bottle jack like they give you on the HDs. I think my jack would have worked at least on 35s if not more. I jacked directly below where the strut connects to the lower A-Arm. Maybe they made some huge changes to the front end I am unaware of... My high lift got the front end plenty high as well lol.

I must say though, I was surprised to see a cute little car jack under that passenger seat the first time I looked.

Diminus

Reaction score
Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador Canada
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sucks to hear man, I always got a hydraulic jack rachet strapped in the pan of my truck along with blocks and my spare 35 , I had a buddy jack his ram up on the side of the road calls me up said he needs help, the dummy jacked the rear of the truck up no wheels chocked and truck rolled back, came off said jack (factory very unstable jack lol ) and put the jack through the gas tank.... Only thing to do to "fix" the tank was put in a adjustable plug that you would use in a speed boat. He was not happy haha.
So look on the bright side at least you knew what you were doing and it was equipment issue. Cheers :)

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did the top of the jack screw out ?

I haven't checked my Ram, but on the silverado I traded in on it, the jack was the same way....until you screw the top out to get the added lift. Screwing the top out/up gave you another 4" of lift or so, which was enough to do what you needed to do.

I will have to go check mine now.........

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I cant even get mine out, its like the wing nut is stuck on there and when ever I try to spin in the bolt thru the floor bends

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
That sucks man! However the way you wrote the story was kinda hilarious! Thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine now! Deffinitly take it to the dealer and show then though! Maybe they accidently put a jack in for a Chrysler SUV?

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, me too. I have never tried it, guess I should...:)

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good stuff here. My question is that I have bilstein 5100 set to max in the front, and a 1" rear spacer, and I'm curious if the stock jack will even work. I might test it this weekend just for ***** and giggles.

If that doesn't work, what type of Jacks do people have with lifted trucks? It's always been in the back of my mind, but I never asked.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Been there. My factory jack is in the garbage. I have built in DAA with my credit card so I'd just call them.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good stuff here. My question is that I have bilstein 5100 set to max in the front, and a 1" rear spacer, and I'm curious if the stock jack will even work. I might test it this weekend just for ***** and giggles.

If that doesn't work, what type of Jacks do people have with lifted trucks? It's always been in the back of my mind, but I never asked.

use it under the axle tube.....the lift doesn't change that unless you put on bigger tires

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I always keep a floor jack in the trunk of my car. I never did trust those flimsy scissor jacks, especially in gravel or soft sand. And from what I've seen it looks like i have a similar jack in my Ram, but I'm not keen on the idea of having to use it if i get into trouble. Will probably end up buying a better jack of some type to use with my Ram.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The factory jack that bent? The same one that the rods for lowering the spare have ends that rounded out making them useless?

Yeeeaaah... I threw it out and got a real one.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thats funny.. Well.. kind of. I looked at the jack when I bought the truck and said "no way is that going to lift the truck high enough" I always thought trucks came with bottle jacks. I think everyone should go to the dealer tell them to trade it for a bottle ******** a 2500. I hate scissor jacks, I think they are too weak and dangerous to lift a car never mind a half ton truck. If anyone wants to be a guinea pig and drop their truck with the stock jack, and try and get a class action law suit. I'm sure in 10 years there will be a recall for the jacks haha

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kinda floor Jacks do you guys currently have? I've been looking at 3 ton floor jacks, but should I be worry about how high they go or how much they support? Just looking at some online.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
crappy but I keep my hydraulic floor jack in the back 50lbs so I am good to go pretty much anywhere.