Chrysler recall software update disables power folding side mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dee2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl
I have a 2014 Ram truck that I purchased from the dealer new. At time of purchase it had power folding side mirrors which worked perfectly for 5 years...until last fall when a recall notice software update from Chrysler disabled them. I have been back to dealer multiple times to try to figure out the problem, and they finally gave me a number at Chrysler to contact a case manager. Chrysler claims that my truck model was never supposed to have power folding side mirrors included and their update "corrected" the problem. End of story. Neither the dealer or Chrysler will do anything. Besides cursing and throwing the phone, does anyone have any ideas? Reporting to Better Business Bureau is great, but doesn't get my mirrors to work again...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram truck that I purchased from the dealer new. At time of purchase it had power folding side mirrors which worked perfectly for 5 years...until last fall when a recall notice software update from Chrysler disabled them. I have been back to dealer multiple times to try to figure out the problem, and they finally gave me a number at Chrysler to contact a case manager. Chrysler claims that my truck model was never supposed to have power folding side mirrors included and their update "corrected" the problem. End of story. Neither the dealer or Chrysler will do anything. Besides cursing and throwing the phone, does anyone have any ideas? Reporting to Better Business Bureau is great, but doesn't get my mirrors to work again...

Check out the AlfaOBD thread.....I think even with the free version you might at least be able to connect and make sure the settings are still in there to "allow" folding mirrors. If somehow yours wasnt supposed to have it, it might still be able to be turned back on.

(I personally think the "never supposed to have it" line is total bs)

BTW, what update was applied to your truck?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What?? Could they at least make up believable BS. Folding mirrors is not just a software option. It requires three pieces of hardware over the non-folding mirrors. Folding mirrors requires different door modules, mirrors and drivers side window switch. Are they trying to say all of that hardware was put on by mistake? Are they saying there was a whole run of them and now there is a "recall"? Recalls are usually for safety issues. Maybe a TSB but that sounds like a lot of work to screw over a few customers. Not like they will get any money from it so why do it?

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It probably missed the option code for the mirrors when the software was installed they should be able to just in able the sales code for the mirrors with a flash.of course if they know what they're doing.when I had the code flashed for my cd player they called and said they couldn't find the code I told them the code 10 minutes later they called back and said the truck was ready.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh the incompetence and idiocy of dealerships.

Like mentioned before, see about AlphaOBD, either getting it for yourself or hopefully a local RF member can help you out with it. I don’t know if I’d trust that dealer to reflash your truck with the code they pulled during the “update”; and I’d imagine they’ll charge you an hour for labor for 5 minutes of work to unfuck their screwup if they actually decide to reflash your truck.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have the original window sticker still? That will tell you if your truck was supposed to have them or not. Though it’s kind of obvious if the truck has the button to fold them and the motors inside the mirrors that make them fold, it was supposed to have them. I’d wind up in some trouble if they tried to pull that nonsense with me.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the original window sticker still? That will tell you if your truck was supposed to have them or not. Though it’s kind of obvious if the truck has the button to fold them and the motors inside the mirrors that make them fold, it was supposed to have them. I’d wind up in some trouble if they tried to pull that nonsense with me.

Great idea!

They can get the sticker from here (add the VIN after the equal sign):

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=

and the build sheet from here:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Here, taste this delicious ice cream. There, wasn't that good? Now you can't have any more... Pfft, bunch of JA's...

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Dee2014, are you telling us the whole story? C'mon and share with us. You just missed the last payment on a six-year loan through FCA, and they have started repossessing your truck one piece at a time. Might want to start taking your steering wheel into the house at night.

No, I am not serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interestingly, my window sticker came up, but my buildsheet didnt. When I entered my VIN for the buildsheet, it takes me to Jeep.com and says no build sheet available for that VIN.
Make sure you are using all capital letters if there are any.

Is it a Canadian truck?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dee2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl
Check out the AlfaOBD thread.....I think even with the free version you might at least be able to connect and make sure the settings are still in there to "allow" folding mirrors. If somehow yours wasnt supposed to have it, it might still be able to be turned back on.

(I personally think the "never supposed to have it" line is total bs)

BTW, what update was applied to your truck?

Thanks for the info. There were several updates they did at the same time. Not sure which one did it...at least they couldn't or wouldn't tell me. They said they could not roll back, and the Chrysler case manager said that they "fixed" my mirrors with their update...that they never should have worked in my model so it was not Chrysler's problem.

OP
OP
D

Dee2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl
OP
OP
D

Dee2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. There were several updates they did at the same time. Not sure which one did it...at least they couldn't or wouldn't tell me. They said they could not roll back, and the Chrysler case manager said that they "fixed" my mirrors with their update...that they never should have worked in my model so it was not Chrysler's problem.

Use the link and get a copy of your window sticker. It should have the power fold mirrors on it. Print it and take it to them and demand they fix it. Take it as far as you have to go.

Edit: very strange about the capital letters. That worked and the build sheet came up. Really bizarre since specific capitalization (to my knowledge) has never been necessary in a web address.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. Not a Canadian trcuk. Purchased in Turlock, California
I'm not far from you if you still live in the Turlock area and I can easily turn the code back on for you if you want. I have the full version Alfa tool and have ebabled codes for several people in the area. I have actually installed power fold mirrors on my 14 that didnt come with them and was not allowed in my trim level. It's still in your BCM but needs to be enabled. The software update may have made the dealer unable enable the code because its greyed out or in some cases they can't even see it if it's not allowed but the Alfa tool can see every code in your BCM that the dealer cannot. Couple of questions. What trim level is your truck and did it come with tow mirrors? Doesn't matter should still be able to enable them just curious why they are saying it wasn't an option when it was. . I'm out of state until Fri afternoon of Jul 17th but should be able to do it for you anytime after that if you want. I'm a little over an hour away from you. It will take a matter of minutes. We can also enable a few other things that the dealer cannot if you want while we are at it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk