Cleaning your detailing towels???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TA462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm new to detailing and I'm curious about how everyone cleans their towels, rags etc when they become dirty. Do you just throw them into the washer with Tide or whatever laundry soap you use or do you use something else? Does using laundry soap effect the overall use of the towels? I've got a pile of towels and I want to keep them prestine. Am I just over thinking this???

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm new to detailing and I'm curious about how everyone cleans their towels, rags etc when they become dirty. Do you just throw them into the washer with Tide or whatever laundry soap you use or do you use something else? Does using laundry soap effect the overall use of the towels? I've got a pile of towels and I want to keep them prestine. Am I just over thinking this???

I throw mine in the wash and air dry I don’t put them in the dryer

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many opinions on this subject but there are also a few constants. Don't use fabric softener, ever. Use a detergent free of scents and hypoallergenic. Best practice is to separate towels by use, glass towels, paint towels, wheel and engine bay towels. Wash in hot water, dry in low heat or air setting.

There are also many dedicated detergents by detailing companies to choose from, one being Micro Restore. Tide Free and Clear is an example of an OTC detergent.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I clean mine by throwing the used ones in the trash. :crazy: :)
I always use new ones. It gets pretty expensive, but I'm really fussy. lol (Especially with the '13 Roush Stage 3.)
I only use ADAM'S single ply plush microfiber towels. Sometimes I'll splurge and buy the two ply ones if there are on sale. Possibly the best and softest microfiber towel out there in my opinion. Killer product. Expensive, but so very worth it. (Don't take my word for it, try one and you'll be hooked. ;))

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I clean mine by throwing the used ones in the trash. :crazy: :)
I always use new ones. It gets pretty expensive, but I'm really fussy. lol (Especially with the '13 Roush Stage 3.)
I only use ADAM'S single ply plush microfiber towels. Sometimes I'll splurge and buy the two ply ones if there are on sale. Possibly the best and softest microfiber towel out there in my opinion. Killer product. Expensive, but so very worth it. (Don't take my word for it, try one and you'll be hooked. ;))
I'm just going to hang out by your trash can and wash yours lol. Washing machine with an extra rinse and partially dried in the dryer so they dry soft

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just going to hang out by your trash can and wash yours lol. Washing machine with an extra rinse and partially dried in the dryer so they dry soft
Be my guest! They're awesome ones too. ADAM'S microfiber towels. :D

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There are many opinions on this subject but there are also a few constants. Don't use fabric softener, ever. Use a detergent free of scents and hypoallergenic. Best practice is to separate towels by use, glass towels, paint towels, wheel and engine bay towels. Wash in hot water, dry in low heat or air setting.

There are also many dedicated detergents by detailing companies to choose from, one being Micro Restore. Tide Free and Clear is an example of an OTC detergent.

Same Here, no softeners and free and clear detergents only. As far a drying goes...air dry only.
Nothing worse than cooking your fibers into little needles and tha dragging them over your freshly corrected truck putting the scratches you worked so hard to get out back in

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For really dirty rags i use Borax detergent boosted to get the stains out

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wash them in Tide and the regular towels into the dryer with no fabric softener.

I air dry the microfibre towels over a clothes line in my basement and then throw them into the dryer on air dryer for 10 minutes to fluff them back to normal.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a mixer of towels, Rag company, adams, chemical guys, and some randoms. I wash them by themselves with All free and clear and dry them in the dryer. Been doing it this way for few years now with no issues. I buy cheap microfibers off amazon for the random stuff and if they get real dirty just throw them away.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use Wolfgangs microfiber cleaner. Great stuff gets them really clean. Hot water and extra rinse. Like everyone says no fabric softener or dryer sheets, air dry or low heat for short time. If they still have visible dirt on them they become wheel towels then in the garbage. If I am doing a coating then they don't get washed and go to oil cleanup rags or in the trash.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I soak mine in my wash bucket with dawn for a day of so. Then was them with original tide powder and throw them in the dryer.

^This^

I have a mixture of "red shop", terrycloth, soft cotton, and microfiber towels.

I soak all my shop towels in a bucket with some Dawn, separately according to use (generally cleaning or engine) for a couple of days, rinse them out well a couple of times, then take them to the laundromat. I wash them with All Clear soap and then toss 'em in the dryer. If my cleaning towels come out still stained with something, they get tossed into the grungy bin for engine use. If any of the towels come out ragged, they just go into the trash.

I don't wash them in my home washer/dryer, those machines are for my clothing, not greasy shop towels!