Clunking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been chasing a clunk sound for a couple weeks or so. Have not found it but found 1 thing that may be my culprit. So it feels/sounds like metal to metal shifting and tapping each other but it’s not fully repetitive to where I can duplicate it by any one scenario. It happens when the truck weight shifts from side to side usually when turning either in forward or reverse and also when going across uneven road. Rear control arms and sway bar are tight. I tried playing with the rear axle and moving the tires around. There is a very minor thump from the rear axle bearings when forcefully rocking the truck side to side but no dragging. However. I’ve already taken the whole front end apart and struts and ball joints look good. I did just find today that my passenger side upper control arm seems to be contacting the frame mount at the rear bushing. Looks like the bushing slid somehow or is worn down. First 2 pictures are passenger front then rear mounts. Last 2 pictures are driver side front then rear mounts. If I move the truck there is space again at that mount. Time for new UCAs? Not trying to just throw money at it.

Attachments

• 92C70046-EDE5-4415-BFDE-3C76746E9FC9.jpeg
    92C70046-EDE5-4415-BFDE-3C76746E9FC9.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 2729F60D-2D30-4291-BFBB-2DB5E16459FD.jpeg
    2729F60D-2D30-4291-BFBB-2DB5E16459FD.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 78
  • B14294F7-CE05-4D9C-9594-EF9980091A8B.jpeg
    B14294F7-CE05-4D9C-9594-EF9980091A8B.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 715E13BF-AE7E-4845-B3B8-0ACCA71D005E.jpeg
    715E13BF-AE7E-4845-B3B8-0ACCA71D005E.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait, these are the Zone UCAs?
Yup. I’ve had them for 30,000 miles and never noticed them touching the frame mounts so this is new. It’s close on the drivers side to touching. Thinking about pulling them and ordering the icon delta set but don’t want to spend the money right now.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Yup. I’ve had them for 30,000 miles and never noticed them touching the frame mounts so this is new. It’s close on the drivers side to touching. Thinking about pulling them and ordering the icon delta set but don’t want to spend the money right now.
Ah 30k miles that is not bad then .... what do you have in the rear ?

I have noticed since adding the core 4x4 end links a clunk especially when turning in parking lots going over the speedbumps, never was there before but I do get a clunk no doubt about it ... I don't think it's the bump stops because they aren't hitting .... hmmm ..

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clayton control arms and sway bar rear with core4x4 sway bar links. I didn’t notice it before and I’ve had the full setup for over a year now. But yea. You’re describing similar circumstances. I’ll try pulling my rear sway bar links and drive for a while and see if it makes the noise still

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes definitely not bump stops. Lol. Had to play with my truck. Measured 11” rear travel with the rear sway bar connected. Still had more to compress on the passenger side but the sway bar was not letting it flex more.

Attachments

• C4ABF4F6-94FB-4963-B369-4B0799E7E8FE.jpeg
    C4ABF4F6-94FB-4963-B369-4B0799E7E8FE.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 44
  • 3FEAB8E2-3576-4D99-BD40-595850FFA789.jpeg
    3FEAB8E2-3576-4D99-BD40-595850FFA789.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 48

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@crazykid1994 have you ruled out CV axles body roll and turning side to side is how you check CV axles and often show those exact symptoms

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I feel like if it was the UCA’s you could easily replicate the problem

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@crazykid1994 have you ruled out CV axles body roll and turning side to side is how you check CV axles and often show those exact symptoms
I’ve tried doing the body roll while driving down the road and I’ve even used 4wd with no issues or odd sounds. I even crawled underneath and shook the cv axles in/out and up/down with nothing noticeable. I’ve lifted the front and turned the tires by hand as well. I thought the same thing about the UCA but I can see where it is contacting but it is weird because sometimes there is a gap and sometimes it’s contacting so I know it is shifting but not entirely sure why or how. I’m probably going to pull them out completely to inspect the bushing and see why it’s contacting in the first place. Wish I had some other UCAs to toss in temporarily to see if that is the issue. Thankfully I can pull the UCA out without fully disassembling the front end again

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’ve tried doing the body roll while driving down the road and I’ve even used 4wd with no issues or odd sounds. I even crawled underneath and shook the cv axles in/out and up/down with nothing noticeable. I’ve lifted the front and turned the tires by hand as well. I thought the same thing about the UCA but I can see where it is contacting but it is weird because sometimes there is a gap and sometimes it’s contacting so I know it is shifting but not entirely sure why or how. I’m probably going to pull them out completely to inspect the bushing and see why it’s contacting in the first place. Wish I had some other UCAs to toss in temporarily to see if that is the issue. Thankfully I can pull the UCA out without fully disassembling the front end again
I was chasing one that turned out being the fender hitting aftermarket bumper. I ended up reinforcing the front body mounts to fix it

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was chasing one that turned out being the fender hitting aftermarket bumper. I ended up reinforcing the front body mounts to fix it
It’s weird because I’ve not modified anything in over a year. I’m pulling the UCA out this weekend to see if I can do anything about the bushing. Debating a jba or icon UCA but leaning towards icon for the delta joint. Plan on icons or fox coilovers in the future. Just like having the rubber bushings of the zones for no maintenance vs poly bushings. That’s why I went zone originally.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What rear shocks you have? Check and make sure the top shock mount bushing isn’t shifted in the shock mount housing. I had this dumb clank/clink everytime I went over bumps, faster speeds it was nil, slow speed it hit every time and it annoyed me. I searched all
Over the truck’s under carriage. Found a loose heat shield and tighten all the control arms, tack bar, sway bar, end links, still had it. Checked my exhaust, still had it. Came down to messing with my rear shocks one day and found the culprit, bushing shifted and was half hanging out on one side. Other side was banging the shock mount on frame every time I went over bumps. But just my personal Experience with “clunks”. Hate em!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
What rear shocks you have? Check and make sure the top shock mount bushing isn’t shifted in the shock mount housing. I had this dumb clank/clink everytime I went over bumps, faster speeds it was nil, slow speed it hit every time and it annoyed me. I searched all
Over the truck’s under carriage. Found a loose heat shield and tighten all the control arms, tack bar, sway bar, end links, still had it. Checked my exhaust, still had it. Came down to messing with my rear shocks one day and found the culprit, bushing shifted and was half hanging out on one side. Other side was banging the shock mount on frame every time I went over bumps. But just my personal Experience with “clunks”. Hate em!
Great advise !!! seriously, I didn't even think about that at all .... I though maybe it was just the coilspring spacers in the rear but I had them marked and lines still line up .... I am going to check this out ...

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilstein 5100 currently. Had to pull the 5160 I had due to a leak a while back. The bushings looked good and not loose. I tried shaking them and pushing on them yesterday. I’ll double check the bolts are tight today. Thankfully I have the thuren shock nut set to make things easy. I’ve literally gone through and retorqued 90% of the suspension. Front upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, upper and lower strut mounts, front sway bar (which was disconnected at one point and still had clunking), all rear upper and lower control arm bolts, rear track bar bolts. I’m going to disconnect the rear sway bar today and see if that’s my culprit and I need to grease it anyways. I did try rocking the truck by hand and pushing on the rear sway bar so I don’t think it’s that. I’ll pull the front UCA today to check the bushings and check the lower bushings again as well. Shook my exhaust. Put the truck on a ramp one tire at a time and rocked the truck.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Bilstein 5100 currently. Had to pull the 5160 I had due to a leak a while back. The bushings looked good and not loose. I tried shaking them and pushing on them yesterday. I’ll double check the bolts are tight today. Thankfully I have the thuren shock nut set to make things easy. I’ve literally gone through and retorqued 90% of the suspension. Front upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, upper and lower strut mounts, front sway bar (which was disconnected at one point and still had clunking), all rear upper and lower control arm bolts, rear track bar bolts. I’m going to disconnect the rear sway bar today and see if that’s my culprit and I need to grease it anyways. I did try rocking the truck by hand and pushing on the rear sway bar so I don’t think it’s that. I’ll pull the front UCA today to check the bushings and check the lower bushings again as well. Shook my exhaust. Put the truck on a ramp one tire at a time and rocked the truck.
I think I’d be hunting body mounts. With the 4th gens then get water stuck in there and make all kinds of weird noises that sound like everything but a body mount. The one under the drivers floor pan, take the bolt all the way out and see if any water comes out. It’s rare but chasing sounds you can’t leave stones un turned

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I’d be hunting body mounts. With the 4th gens then get water stuck in there and make all kinds of weird noises that sound like everything but a body mount. The one under the drivers floor pan, take the bolt all the way out and see if any water comes out. It’s rare but chasing sounds you can’t leave stones un turned
Well the weather has been crap this weekend. Rain and cold so no chance to do any work. I’m aware of the water situation. Actually last time I was under the truck working on my rocker guards I had pulled 3 on the driver side bolts out and drilled holes in the washers and sprayed some rust inhibitor inside and torqued everything back together. Never got around to doing the passenger side though… with all the rain here in south Florida I’ve had issues with water sitting in them. However it is probably a good idea to check them again anyways.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Well the weather has been crap this weekend. Rain and cold so no chance to do any work. I’m aware of the water situation. Actually last time I was under the truck working on my rocker guards I had pulled 3 on the driver side bolts out and drilled holes in the washers and sprayed some rust inhibitor inside and torqued everything back together. Never got around to doing the passenger side though… with all the rain here in south Florida I’ve had issues with water sitting in them. However it is probably a good idea to check them again anyways.
LOL whats cold 70?