Clunking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
I had under torqued LCA's on my 2wd for quite a while with the same issue.I searched that truck over and under for a while till I recalled the dealer aligning the front end a few months before,and a good tightening is all they needed.Never overestimate the skills or mistakes of a tech.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check and tighten your sway bar end links
I wish it was that simple. The fronts were disconnected and the rears I checked already and they’re good. I’m actually pretty sure it’s my front UCA on the passenger side contacting the frame at the mounting tab.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I wish it was that simple. The fronts were disconnected and the rears I checked already and they’re good. I’m actually pretty sure it’s my front UCA on the passenger side contacting the frame at the mounting tab.
Call Nick tell him to get a line on the icons LOL

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@crazykid1994 I trust your judgement on symptoms. Would it be possible to get a dremel in there to remove a little metal to confirm the noise goes away?

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@crazykid1994 I trust your judgement on symptoms. Would it be possible to get a dremel in there to remove a little metal to confirm the noise goes away?
I have plans to pull them and take an angle grinder to them. I’m also going to try to see if the bushing slid somehow and if I can push it back. Hoping for good weather tomorrow to pull it apart. If that fixes them I’ll buy icons. Lol.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably not your problem, but I figured I'd throw it out there... about a year and a half ago, I had a really loud pop/bang noise intermittently on the passenger side. Especially over bumps. I, for the life of me, couldn't figure it out inspecting the suspension. Finally broke down and took it to the gougey offroad shop after it got worse. My caliper slide bolts were completely gone and the top portion of my caliper was essentially hopping up and down. Of course they thought I was an idiot and just changed my brakes and didn't tighten them down. In reality I changed my brakes over a year prior. If I had just changed my brakes, that would've been the first thing I checked. Never even remotely suspected something crazy like that.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Probably not your problem, but I figured I'd throw it out there... about a year and a half ago, I had a really loud pop/bang noise intermittently on the passenger side. Especially over bumps. I, for the life of me, couldn't figure it out inspecting the suspension. Finally broke down and took it to the gougey offroad shop after it got worse. My caliper slide bolts were completely gone and the top portion of my caliper was essentially hopping up and down. Of course they thought I was an idiot and just changed my brakes and didn't tighten them down. In reality I changed my brakes over a year prior. If I had just changed my brakes, that would've been the first thing I checked. Never even remotely suspected something crazy like that.
Most sounds come from overlooked and uncommon areas. I had a guy come in once and he was walking me around his truck explaining what he was hearing/feeling I pulled out his hitch receiver and put it under his back seat and told him to take it for a ride and let me know if it continues. He came back 20 minutes later feeling foolish I just said hey man sometimes all you need is a fresh set of eyes

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well bad news. I need new control arms. There is no temporary fix and I’m not sure why only one of 4 bushings failed. The others look fine to me. Both pictures are of the passenger side just from one end and the other end. As you can see in the second picture my bushing is shredded. I may contact zone and see if this is a standard replacement bushing for the time being and maybe order ball joints too and do a full rebuild on it. But not sure if it’s worth it to rebuild them anyways.

Attachments

• 7CD0824E-307E-46A9-AE48-F7D86CFB3814.jpeg
    7CD0824E-307E-46A9-AE48-F7D86CFB3814.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DC658DC7-18A1-4DFD-A566-21CD96D80735.jpeg
    DC658DC7-18A1-4DFD-A566-21CD96D80735.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
well bad news. I need new control arms. There is no temporary fix and I’m not sure why only one of 4 bushings failed. The others look fine to me. Both pictures are of the passenger side just from one end and the other end. As you can see in the second picture my bushing is shredded. I may contact zone and see if this is a standard replacement bushing for the time being and maybe order ball joints too and do a full rebuild on it. But not sure if it’s worth it to rebuild them anyways.
Wait! those are the zone UCAs?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
That will do it. To be honest if I pulled that off a truck I would say the bushing was tightened with the suspension unloaded because it looks like a stress twist. Knowing that you know better than that. Just a failed bushing that may have been bad for a while just didnt expose itself until after the warranty expired

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
That will do it. To be honest if I pulled that off a truck I would say the bushing was tightened with the suspension unloaded because it looks like a stress twist. Knowing that you know better than that. Just a failed bushing that may have been bad for a while just didnt expose itself until after the warranty expired
Those d@mn warranties !!! lol ...

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought it looks like a stress twist too but not sure how. I made sure every time I modified my suspension they were loosened and retightened after setting the vehicle down. But the fact that only 1 failed and not both or not all 4 is weird to me. I’m wondering if it didn’t rip last time I was off-roading but didn’t fail all the way and has just taken time to finish separating. Makes me want some free spin bushings like giiro joints or poly bushings but I don’t want the maintenance of poly. I tried sourcing out giiro bushings but they aren’t available in this size.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I thought it looks like a stress twist too but not sure how. I made sure every time I modified my suspension they were loosened and retightened after setting the vehicle down. But the fact that only 1 failed and not both or not all 4 is weird to me. I’m wondering if it didn’t rip last time I was off-roading but didn’t fail all the way and has just taken time to finish separating. Makes me want some free spin bushings like giiro joints or poly bushings but I don’t want the maintenance of poly. I tried sourcing out giiro bushings but they aren’t available in this size.
offroading definitely has a way of testing suspension parts. Im wondering if the rubber swelled and was getting stuck and twisting? pb blaster will make rubber swell along with a lot of other chemicals we use all the time

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright. Zone got back to me on the bushing. It’s a raybestos 560-1098. May order a set and replace them for now and prepare for some new control arms soon. 20$ a bushing. Just have to find who can press them for me.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Alright. Zone got back to me on the bushing. It’s a raybestos 560-1098. May order a set and replace them for now and prepare for some new control arms soon. 20$ a bushing. Just have to find who can press them for me.
You can rent the control arm bushing press from an autozone ...