Codes P0455, 0456 and 0457. Dealership wants to replace gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram2015help

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Ram 1500, 87,000 miles with all three of these codes. I replaced the gas cap, ESIM and purge canister already. Dealership says I need a new gas tank and is asking right at $4,000. Has anyone else needed to go to that extreme to fix these codes?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would test the EGR valve first. Not expensive, easy to change. I had one of those codes a few years ago, EGR fixed it. Don't remember which one. Dealer replaced gas cap, did a smoke test which found nothing. Gave me back the truck with no codes, but it came back in a couple of days. I found a you tube video someplace that described an easy test for the EGR valve, and sure enough, that was the problem.

OP
OP
R

Ram2015help

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m definitely getting a second opinion. Found a guy on YouTube with a shop 45 minutes from my house. He was showing how to fix the exact same codes I have and that it was just a disconnected line.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 Ram 1500, 87,000 miles with all three of these codes. I replaced the gas cap, ESIM and purge canister already. Dealership says I need a new gas tank and is asking right at $4,000. Has anyone else needed to go to that extreme to fix these codes?
Ouch! Replace it yourself and save three grand.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless that gas tank is $3,500 just replace it yourself. These dealers are ridiculous

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I would test the EGR valve first. Not expensive, easy to change. I had one of those codes a few years ago, EGR fixed it. Don't remember which one. Dealer replaced gas cap, did a smoke test which found nothing. Gave me back the truck with no codes, but it came back in a couple of days. I found a you tube video someplace that described an easy test for the EGR valve, and sure enough, that was the problem.
4th gen Hemi's don't have an EGR valve

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have to wonder ....

A Ramforum member was told that a Roll Over Valve in the Fuel Tank could cause a back up in Air Pressure Relief.
That Air can't get out, so gas can't go in, except as a trickle.
Also the Roll over valve could not be RESET or Replaced.

Does that mean fuel tripped the Roll Over Valve & that tank is worthless, except for dirty scrap ??

I would have to believe that there is a way to reset the Tip or Roll Over Valve.

A shade tree mechanic friend, used to Trip a friend of his, Tip Over Valve that was in a El Camino.
He would wait until the El Camino's Owner went inside, then he would take the side of his fist & strike the El Camino's sheet metal, right next to the Fuel Filler Door.
That tripped something that caused the Fuel Pump to malfunction, he waited for the owner would come out & try to drive away.
My friend would then go under the hood & make like he was trying to fix the problem.
After a short period of time, he would do what ever he needed to do to reset the Malfunction, it had to be an electric fix to reset it.

I know our Rams are much newer & they have a different technology, but i would think there would have to be a way to reset the Roll Over Valve

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He would wait until the El Camino's Owner went inside, then he would take the side of his fist & strike the El Camino's sheet metal, right next to the Fuel Filler Door.
I believe they called that a Anti Inertial switch that disabled the fuel pump in case of a collision, rear ended side swiped etc.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have to wonder ....

A Ramforum member was told that a Roll Over Valve in the Fuel Tank could cause a back up in Air Pressure Relief.
That Air can't get out, so gas can't go in, except as a trickle.
Also the Roll over valve could not be RESET or Replaced.

Does that mean fuel tripped the Roll Over Valve & that tank is worthless, except for dirty scrap ??

I would have to believe that there is a way to reset the Tip or Roll Over Valve.

A shade tree mechanic friend, used to Trip a friend of his, Tip Over Valve that was in a El Camino.
That tripped something that caused the Fuel Pump to malfunction, he waited for the owner would come out & try to drive away.
My friend would then go under the hood & make like he was trying to fix the problem.
After a short period of time, he would do what ever he needed to do to reset the Malfunction, it had to be an electric fix to reset it.

I know our Rams are much newer & they have a different technology, but i would think there would have to be a way to reset the Roll Over Valve

The roll over valve you're talking about is in the filler tube at the entry of the tank. If you have a camera bore scope you can go down the gas filler hose and push the center of the valve to reset and open the valve.

GreatBu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had this problem it was the fuel filler neck that needed replacing. Was around $40.00 and easy to DIY.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they want to replace the tank that means they think the tank itself is leaking. Generally the only time I have seen issues is if the opening around where the fuel pump module sits gets corroded (if the tank is plastic, generally a metal ring molded around the opening that causes issue). Guess there could be a crack somewhere, like around the filler neck??? However on a 2015 model I wouldn't suspect that is the issue and usually something else.
I would probably want a second opinion. If anything and the tank did need replaced, I would at least check with an independent mechanic on the cost. Usually not that big of a job to replace a fuel tank especially on a lift. Even if you had to pay $1,200 for a tank I can't imagine it being $2,800 in labor to do it!

OP
OP
R

Ram2015help

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m going to get a 3rd opinion now. I took it to a mechanic who basically said take it back to the dealer and have them flash the computer? He said that would clear the codes and until then I would always see them. He did not do a smoke test just ran the codes and looked at what I had already replaced. He didn’t charge me so I can’t complain much.