Codes P0455, 0456 and 0457. Dealership wants to replace gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Did they check and verify the FTPS works and is capable of reading pressure? That sensor us up near the filler. If it us always reading 0, maybe it isn't reading at all because it or the wiring is faulty.

I found a video for you. Goto about the 21 minute mark.

And here's some more ideas in another post. I've had trucks where a rodent chewed the evap plastic line or the fitting itself in the top of the tank.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That dealership is feeding possible parts into a bazooka & firing them against the wall to see what sticks.

In other words, he is just trying to get deep into your wallet

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is what the dealer originally said.
View attachment 535121
Clock Spring???

Just looked at the EVAP diagram and didn't see a component with that name.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 104458 miles.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what the dealer originally said.
View attachment 535121
The only thing I have ever heard referred to as a "clock spring" is the electrical connection at the steering wheel, which allow the electric connection between the buttons on the steering wheel as you turn the wheel back and forth. This has absolutely nothing to do with any fuel evap related issues.
In regards to replacing the tank and filler.....a simple and routine smoke test should easily show exactly where they were leaking if this was the case. A smoke test is a normal and routine procedure that any competent mechanic should be using to verify a large leak like this. I'm not talking about rocket science here by any means, or even some halfway specialized test.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The shop found a code that interpreted as a faulty clock spring, should be obvious it's a seperate issue.
I don't know why that is so hard to understand. It's the first sentence of their narrative in post #21!

OP
OP
R

Ram2015help

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None of the codes have anything to do with the clockspring.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None of the codes have anything to do with the clockspring.
Yes, good point.
Even if there was a code for the clockspring, is the original poster having any issues with it? Are any steering wheel controls not working, like the horn, cruise, steering volume, etc...??? The more I look at the dealership write-up the less confidence I have in them.

OP
OP
R

Ram2015help

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am the OP, there’s literally nothing wrong with the steering.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I you do need a tank, you could check with auto wreckers and see what they would want for a used one
You would end up with a pump as well maybe

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am the OP, there’s literally nothing wrong with the steering.
Do all of the steering wheel buttons work? That's what the clockspring does, it allows the steering wheel to turn while keeping electrical controls connected.

OP
OP
R

Ram2015help

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes all the buttons work, steering wheel and controls are fine. The only thing the truck was there to have looked at was the evap codes.

They rolled the clock spring repair into the tank repair charge. $1,200 parts and labor for the clockspring.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes all the buttons work, steering wheel and controls are fine. The only thing the truck was there to have looked at was the evap codes.

They rolled the clock spring repair into the tank repair charge. $1,200 parts and labor for the clockspring.
Maybe it's time to find a new dealer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have come to a conclusion :

The Service Writer when writing up the Invoice, used the wrong wording in the first sentence.
When he joined the clock spring AND the large EVAP leak together, along with the word Cell, instead of Cells

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They wrote "the clock spring having internal failure".
Was there a clockspring code? OP said all steering wheel controls work so what failed? Sounds more like the failure was caused by the mechanics car payment check bouncing.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I guess that i would say, don't mess with the clockspring, until you convince me that it needs to be done.

The Service Writer is only a Salesman, they hardly ever work on vehicles & they drive a compact car :)

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's already been stated....but the 3 codes listed in the title have nothing to do with the clockspring, and the owner of the truck says there are no issues with any of the steering wheel controls. So why in the world would the dealer quote to randomly replace a part? And back to the actual evaporative emissions codes. The one is for a "gross leak", which is a BIG leak, like a hose completely fell off or is broke, a hole in the tank, etc....something that should be easy to find.
I would find a different shop.