Codes P0455, 0456 and 0457. Dealership wants to replace gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Ram2015help

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good news, found a real mechanic and had them smoke test it. Turned out that when I replaced the ESIM on top of the tank I did not get the gasket seated all the way right. He said smoke was pouring out from there and had it fixed after a few minutes.

This confirms to me that the dealer did not bother with a smoke test. They didn’t do anything other than write up a $6,000 estimate.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Good news, found a real mechanic and had them smoke test it. Turned out that when I replaced the ESIM on top of the tank I did not get the gasket seated all the way right. He said smoke was pouring out from there and had it fixed after a few minutes.

This confirms to me that the dealer did not bother with a smoke test. They didn’t do anything other than write up a $6,000 estimate.
Ditch the dealer, deal with your new guys, like u hadn't already figured that out. Glad it worked out so well.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Very interesting read ! Thanks for updating and it was a lower priced fix !
And you found a good shop for future work :)
I would send a E Mail to the GM and Corp. about the poor service !

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you got it fixed. While I know several very good long-time dealership mechanics, there are also a lot of very low level ones out there. I'm fortunately able to do most of the work myself or know of a few good independent mechanics. I'm about 50/50 in regards to luck with having work done at the dealership. There have been a few times I took something in for repairs and didn't even make it home without issues:
- Had a truck that the rear door ajar light would sporadically come on. It actually set the factory alarm off a few times in the middle of the night, or when driving it would start beeping at you and turn on the interior lights. Dealer had it for 3-4 days and said it was fixed. Didn't even make it out of the parking lot before the door ajar light came on.
- New car that got a bad brake shudder from warped rotors under warranty. Again, had the car a few days and said it was fixed. Make it about 1 mile down the road when a horrible screeching sound and vibration started. They had forgot to tighten down the rear brake caliper and it fell off and was rubbing on the rim!
- Now on a positive note, had a truck that the oil pressure relief valve got stuck causing no oil pressure (halfway common issue on that make of truck). It required replacement of the oil pump which is a decent amount of work. They also replaced the water pump while they had it apart. Again, a pretty big job and they had most of the front of the engine apart. Never had any issues and had that truck probably another 5-6 years after the work.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been at the dealership for four hours for this same codes…had them smoke test and I guess they aren’t seeing anything. Do I just replace the two pieces I’ve seen that cause this the one by the heat shield and purge solenoid. I was quoted 344 for 2 hours and I’ve been here four hours now.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve been at the dealership for four hours for this same codes…had them smoke test and I guess they aren’t seeing anything. Do I just replace the two pieces I’ve seen that cause this the one by the heat shield and purge solenoid. I was quoted 344 for 2 hours and I’ve been here four hours now.

Has the dealer found the problem? What specific issue are you experiencing? Poor fueling? Degraded performance? Are you going to do the repair yourself or have the dealer do the work?

OP
OP
R

Ram2015help

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can replace the parts yourself for two hours work and $100. The one under the truck was my culprit and is a little difficult to get to. Apparently there is a heat shield you can remove to make it easier, I did not do that.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

So, can we have the name/location of the first dealership?

I'd love to make absolutely certain that I never go anywhere near there. Well, unless I find a bag of extra money under a tree and just can't find anyone nearby willing to help me spend it.