Considering upgrading my alpine system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 9 speaker system just isn’t enough for me. While I’ve done a ton of automotive wiring, this would be my first speaker upgrade. I’m considering putting 2 10’s or 8’s under the rear seats. A few questions:

Are there any sub boxes that will fit under the back seats that don’t interfere with the fold out floor?

If not, is there enough room behind the seats in a crew cab?

where are you guys installing the amps?

Can I grab the sound signal right from the old sub harness that I’ll be removing?

Any other tips for what I’ll need?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Are there any sub boxes that will fit under the back seats that don’t interfere with the fold out floor?

No, only oem

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
a lot of people mount their amps behind the seats

yes you can tap the signal from the harness to the oem subs with a LOC

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a lot of people mount their amps behind the seats

yes you can tap the signal from the harness to the oem subs with a LOC

The back wall is definitely the best place to mount amps in our trucks. If you’re a bass head or into SQ, you might find the signal from the factory sub output lacking. They eq it so it won’t blow the little crappy factory sub. That means you won’t get a full signal feeding real subs.

The best (and of course more expensive) thing to use is the Pac Audio AmpPRO. It gives you multiple full range signals to feed whatever you like. Amps, DSP, etc.80796BC2-9D77-48D6-AFED-1B5DD0F85E54.jpeg

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DAMN Tom , You should be able to weld with that set up ^^^^

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My back wall isn't quite as loaded as tomt, but I have a fair bit back there. 2 10's can be fit and retain a useable load floor if you have the will and do a small seat lift. I lifted my load floor off the seat frame by 1/4" and thats all you can do without it catching on the seat when you try to fold it out. Then I did a 3/4" seat lift using longer bolts and 3/4" thick aluminim flat bar. Floor works decent for most things, but I put a couple short 2x4s under the legs to get them all on the ground for anything heavy like when I sleep back there. Also of note if you mount behind the seat be high enough and plan around the seat brackets as they are the tightest things to the back wall.https://www.ramforum.com/threads/rear-seat-lifting-for-subwoofer-box.119345/page-6
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/mounting-amps-behind-the-seat.140226/#post-1995118

Last edited:

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is more simple for sure. Not in the same league as some (@TomT) but WAY better than the stock 9 speaker still...
I did a plug and play net audio harness with a 10” JL and alpine 500w amp under the rear seat. You do lose the fold flat though.
Also very important to change the dash speakers and rear 6x9’s for infinity or JBL 3 way speakers and you get significantly better sound!
Don’t forget to soundproof things when you open them up.