Coolant Leak - Part Identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All - I'm new to the forum and looking for some help. I noticed an odd smell the past couple of times I've driven my truck, so I climbed under it this afternoon to take a look. Sure enough there is a nice mess under the truck from what I believe is a coolant leak.

It's a bit hard to tell because the liquid has been blown onto various parts, but I believe the leak is starting from the pressure fitting (what I call it) side on the circled part. I wasn't smart enough to pay attention to where the other side of this pipe/hose leads. Can anyone help me out on what this part is called?

For reference, the picture was taken from underneath the truck with the fan on the top of the picture and moving from to back towards the bottom of the picture.

Inked20210531_191102_LI.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi All - I'm new to the forum and looking for some help. I noticed an odd smell the past couple of times I've driven my truck, so I climbed under it this afternoon to take a look. Sure enough there is a nice mess under the truck from what I believe is a coolant leak.

It's a bit hard to tell because the liquid has been blown onto various parts, but I believe the leak is starting from the pressure fitting (what I call it) side on the circled part. I wasn't smart enough to pay attention to where the other side of this pipe/hose leads. Can anyone help me out on what this part is called?

For reference, the picture was taken from underneath the truck with the fan on the top of the picture and moving from to back towards the bottom of the picture.

View attachment 249266
If that is the actual part that is leaking coolant then IIRC this is the Dorman part number... 12355HD

upload_2021-5-31_22-25-23.png

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a lot of spray. Could it be the water pump leaking and spraying it all around?

I'd loosen the tension off the belt and check for wobble in the water pump.

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a lot of spray. Could it be the water pump leaking and spraying it all around?

I'd loosen the tension off the belt and check for wobble in the water pump.

Yeah. It is quite a bit. It appears to me that it's dripping onto the belt getting slung onto alot of other parts and areas of the engine. Makes diagnosing It a little difficult as well. I'll take another look this evening and check the water pump as you suggested.

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If that is the actual part that is leaking coolant then IIRC this is the Dorman part number... 12355HD

View attachment 249268

It looks pretty close, although I don't believe the part on my truck has the little tab that is on the Dorman part. I'm not sure if they are the same part or not. I'll have to take another look under the truck for a closer inspection.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Looks like the water pump is leaking. Might even have play in the impeller. Give the fan a shake and see if it moves.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It looks pretty close, although I don't believe the part on my truck has the little tab that is on the Dorman part. I'm not sure if they are the same part or not. I'll have to take another look under the truck for a closer inspection.
That tab is what keeps that tube from jumping out of your truck. It's held in place by a bolt

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would just replace the whole pump comes with the new tube and everything.

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took a closer look and it appears to be leaking from the water pump. The fan does have some play in it as well, so it appears to likely be the water pump.

Now deciding if I want to do it myself or have my local mechanic do it. I was quoted $500 for him to replace the water pump.

For a data point for anyone that reads this, the truck has 62,500 miles.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Water pumps are pretty easy. The major headache is getting all the stuff out of the way just to get to it.
It all depends on your mechanical ability.
$500 is a lot of $$ to replace a $70 dollar water pump. Even a genuine Mopar pump is only $143 from RockAuto.

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Water pumps are pretty easy. The major headache is getting all the stuff out of the way just to get to it.
It all depends on your mechanical ability.
$500 is a lot of $$ to replace a $70 dollar water pump. Even a genuine Mopar pump is only $143 from RockAuto.

I hear you and I kind of feel the same way, however I've been pretty busy lately and truth is I'm not really eager to spend a day pulling all the plastic and hoses away to get to the water pump. It's well within my means mechanically and I would have done it myself for sure 10 years ago, but the convenience of having someone else do it and the warranty along with might just be worth it this time around.

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off get rid off the orange antifreeze, second just replace the water pump and heater core hose, thats about 200 all together plus buy universal antifreeze prolly 2 gallons, and then you will be good to go...prolly take you about 2-4 hours to do it...better than the 700 plus at the dealer...use YouTube my friend

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But that's the connection pipe for the heater core hose on the water pump...