Cruise control has a mind of it's own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
OK, here's a good one for you... The cruise control on my truck will turn itself on, all by itself!

Condition one - driving down the interstate, cruise control NOT turned on during the trip. Cruise control acts normally, not turning itself on or off or doing anything at all!

Condition two - driving down the interstate, cruise control TURNED ON but a speed not set, just turned on. As in Condition one, cruise control acts normally.

Condition three - driving down the interstate, cruise control turned ON, speed set around 80. Cruise control acts normally. Traffic slows down, I tap the brake or hit "Cancel" to disengage the cruise control. Travel for about 10 minutes, cruise control suddenly re-engages to the formerly set speed, just as if I had hit "Resume". It has done this to me now on three different random occasions. The first time almost tragically as I was in deep traffic not expecting it, just using the Jake brake to slow down. Suddenly speeding up to 80 while just a couple car lengths behind the ahead vehicle can get your blood pumping!

I have tested this over five trips to and from work (about a 30 min commute). The truck has warmed up to normal, no weird electrical events noticed. It has done it in train or shine, cool morning or warm afternoon. My hand was on the left side of the steering wheel, nowhere near the right-side cruise control switches. The "resume" occurred twice while driving straight ahead, once while on a fairly tight curve.

I'm just thinking Squatch doesn't like driving slow in the left lane and is wanting to get a move on! LOL

Any ideas?

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Wonder if your resume button isn't shorting out somehow.

That's what I thought at first so on the third occasion, I was sure to keep my hand away from the cruse controls. The only thing I touched was the ON and SET buttons. Tapped the brake to disengage when traffic slowed. Never touched the cruise control area again during the trip. I'm honestly thinking it's an issue with the controls and am going to look at it over the next few days of "working from home". Gotta find a schematic for the steering wheel so I know what to track down.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
That's what I thought at first so on the third occasion, I was sure to keep my hand away from the cruse controls. The only thing I touched was the ON and SET buttons. Tapped the brake to disengage when traffic slowed. Never touched the cruise control area again during the trip. I'm honestly thinking it's an issue with the controls and am going to look at it over the next few days of "working from home". Gotta find a schematic for the steering wheel so I know what to track down.
There is a recall for the cruise control accelerating and not shutting off while doing so. Did you get that recall done? This may be an unknown symptom of it. I think that's a body control module update.

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Nope, first I have heard of it! Will definitely check into that tomorrow! I bought the truck used and my first oil change trip to the dealer I asked if all the updates and recalls had been done, they said yes. Will get them to check again!

Thanks Brandon!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You're welcome. Hopefully it's as simple as an update.