Curt Better Weigh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but anyone have one of these? How accurate are they? Might order one tonight if I can have it here by Wednesday. Taking my truck to pick up my step-sons new 2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH. Dry weight is 8600. Figure about 9300 or so off the lot. I have a 2018 2500 6.4 with 4.10's so not worried at all but he will be towing it with his 2021 Tundra with a 9800lb tow capacity. Getting a good idea of tongue weight and total weight would be good. Yeah he knows he is pushing the limits but when he got that truck he wasn't planning on upgrading his camper. He is already looking at 2500's. He only has to tow it 20 miles to his campsite and it will stay there all summer.

I had thought about buying one of these better weighs anyway for towing my boat (about 9000lbs).

EDIT: oops, better weigh, not weigh safe.

Can a mod edit the subject line? Thanks

Last edited:

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but anyone have one of these? How accurate are they? Might order one tonight if I can have it here by Wednesday. Taking my truck to pick up my step-sons new 2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH. Dry weight is 8600. Figure about 9300 or so off the lot. I have a 2018 2500 6.4 with 4.10's so not worried at all but he will be towing it with his 2021 Tundra with a 9800lb tow capacity. Getting a good idea of tongue weight and total weight would be good. Yeah he knows he is pushing the limits but when he got that truck he wasn't planning on upgrading his camper. He is already looking at 2500's. He only has to tow it 20 miles to his campsite and it will stay there all summer.

I had thought about buying one of these weigh safes anyway for towing my boat (about 9000lbs).

EDIT: oops, better weigh, not weigh safe.

Can a mod edit the subject line? Thanks
Yes I can.. Lol

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought one last year. Normally you would enter the vin and it would automatically calibrate itself to your truck but for some reason that doesn't work on mine. I'm thinking the 1/2 ton Ram they used as a base had a 3.21 rear and my truck has a 3.92 rear.

To get the trailer weight I have to manually calibrate mine. The trailer weight calibration requires some stopping and starting. I did that with my old phone but not with this one yet. The information is stored on your phone not in the app. If you change phones you lose the information. It was kind of accurate for what it's worth.

The tongue weight and payload calibration is much easier. I have done it for this truck with this phone and it was pretty close.

My new trailer has a brochure dry tongue weight of 650lbs. Add in 40lbs of propane (empty tanks are included in the dry weight) and 60lbs for the battery, and 10lbs to 15lbs for the weight distribution L brackets and it's close to the 800lb weight the app gave me when I drove it off the lot the first day I got it. I never got a chance to get a true dry tongue weight.

Maybe I'll calibrate to the trailer weight later. With a dry weight of 6000lbs and a tow rating of 10600lbs that's not the highest priority. For me tongue weight is the weight I'm concerned with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thinking I will just go to the CAT scales Wednesday when we pick up the new TT. It's a 2 hour trip and 4 of us are going. Probably stop at a truck stop on the way and get an empty weight (truck only) then on the way back stop at the same scales and get weights with WDH bars connected and a weight with them disconnected. Probably be $16 so much cheaper than the Curt Better Weigh...lol.

My guess is 9300lb TT weight off the lot. 7900lbs truck weight with 4 of us in it. And 950lbs tongue weight. That is my 'guess'....lol

TT is a 2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH (dry weight listed at 8496lbs and tongue weight advertised at 844lbs. GVWR is 10195lbs

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well he ordered an Equalizer 12,000lb WDH and we went to set it up today and there were parts missing. The stuff was there for one side of the bar mount but for the other side the L bracket was there but the 2 pieces that sandwich the frame rail are missing for the one side. The handle extension for the bar 'wrench' isn't there either. The end of the tool that does the work is there and has a threaded end but the extension that threads onto it is missing. He got it from Amazon and called them today but soonest they can get a new hitch to him is Friday and we are picking it up Wednesday. His friend has the same hitch and called him today. He is supposed to be taking those pieces off of his TT and lending them to him. Step-son is just going to get the replacement parts later. He will call the company tomorrow and see if they can just ship out the missing parts.

Will be at General RV in Canton, Ohio Wednesday. They wanted $1000 for the same hitch installed so he bought it online much cheaper.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my experience Equalizer customer service has always been excellent. Hopefully they'll be able to help you. It's the only hitch I use.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well he just texted that his buddy tried to get those brackets off of his but couldn't. They are going to go back up tomorrow with better tools and try again. We may have to end up towing it home with no bars...ugh. Should be fine but will have to keep my speeds down a little more. No way would I even attempt this with a 1500

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Will be at General RV in Canton, Ohio Wednesday.

Best of luck in your adventure.

If you drive past Timken in Canton give them a wave for me. They are a significant part of my retirement.:)

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well step-son got the brackets off his buddies TT so we have those to use for Wednesday.

He called Equalizer today and they pushed it back to Amazon so he was getting nowhere. Equalizer (maybe it was Amazon) agreed to give him a full refund for the WDH and told him to do whatever he wanted with it...lol. So he ordered the missing parts for about $90 and got the hitch for free...lol. Problem was the parts wouldn't be here in time so that's why we are using his buddies brackets.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad it worked out and he got a complete hitch for 90% off. Not bad.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I have been patient and found many things on Amazon as "open box" and paid 15%-40% off retail. Especially for products from companies that control selling prices. Like getting a B&W Tow and Stow hitch "open box" for 15% less than every place I found online.