Customize Projector Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a line on some chrome projector headlights to buy locally to tide me over while mine get done professionally.
What is a fair price for stock chrome projector headlight?

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone heard of a product that can change the colour in the high beam bowl, that can still reflect SOME light? I have very bright low beams so I never use my high beams just for the occasional flash to pass or cop ahead.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Has anyone heard of a product that can change the colour in the high beam bowl, that can still reflect SOME light? I have very bright low beams so I never use my high beams just for the occasional flash to pass or cop ahead.

Duplicolor has a black chrome kit. It's almost like vht night shades that is used to tint tail lights but less aggressive tint characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What kind of cleaner are you using. I just tried easy off and then super clean on the chrome emblem and nothing came off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The easy off does not work on chrome emblems. It only works on the chrome inside the headlights. The chrome used in the emblems is a different finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems the pro I want to use won’t paint or de-chrome the inside of the projector lens. I really don’t want to leave it chrome. I figure there’s 1200 degree paint that should hold there :(

I’m also looking at GTA Retrofits in Totonto Canada to best the exchange rate and keep shipping costs down.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems the pro I want to use won’t paint or de-chrome the inside of the projector lens. I really don’t want to leave it chrome. I figure there’s 1200 degree paint that should hold there :(

I’m also looking at GTA Retrofits in Totonto Canada to best the exchange rate and keep shipping costs down.

They don’t because the heat from the lens will cause the paint to bubble up.. it act like a magnifying glasses. Keep the inside chrome and paint just the outside the chrome will be hardly noticeable.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I remember tonight I’ll post a picture of the outside shrouds painted black with the inside still chrome to give u an idea.. remember the high beam reflector should still stay chrome as well.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I guess that will be the last and only bit of chrome left on my truck

Most headlight bowls that are chrome, the chrome can be removed with Easy Oven Cleaner, because underneath the chrome is black plastic. So if you wanted to "paint" the inside of the projector shrouds black, then you can just strip the chrome off with the oven cleaner and it will be a smooth matte/flat black. If you wanted an actual color, i dunno what to tell you. Paint will bubble in that spot, BUT if you remove the chrome, and expose the black plastic thats underneath it, the black plastic will NOT bubble, because it is not paint, it is the actual plastic material.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am happy with the matte bare plastic on the inside of the shroud if that won’t melt. Retroshop won’t do it though. I might end up doing this one myself after all

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Btw oven cleaner didn’t work on the shrouds I’ve tried it before in the past.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
b43015ee3aad2dbdccbc5c66540c7310.jpg

I’m all for breaking the rules but don’t kill the functionality of your high beams just for a look.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick update:

I got my Klearz dark smoked side markers in the mail and once I get my spare set of factory projectors I will be sending mine off to a retrofitter in Toronto. I ended up choosing him because it saves me on shipping and exchange as well as he was willing to strip the inner shroud of chrome. That part will be left without paint. I also paid a deposit and the diode Dynamics switchbacks have been ordered.

The plan is to keep the housing factory gloss black, and paint the shrouds satin black. He will swap out the amber side markers for the dark smoked clear ones.
Finally, he will lightly smoke the DLR’s and add the DD switchbacks. I feel the shrouds in satin black will work nicely with my grille, rims and badges.

I’m guessing the final result pics will be here late August/early September.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
b43015ee3aad2dbdccbc5c66540c7310.jpg

I’m all for breaking the rules but don’t kill the functionality of your high beams just for a look.

How did you keep the inside chrome? Did you not use oven cleaner to remove the chrome?