Cutting out intermittently while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGUESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
I have a 2008 Ram 1500 3.7 2 wheel drive 142000 miles. While driving it feels like the motor is cutting out, it is a jerking feel the RPM's do not change and it may do it several times in a row and then again it may only do it once every hour. some times it is barely noticeable and others it is very noticeable it does not throw any codes nor does the check engine light come on. Weather is not a factor it doesn't seem to start causing the problem until the engine is warm typically after driving 5-10 miles.

Any suggestions......

NovaDenied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm having similar problems with stalling and rpms going up and down. It got worse when I almost ran out of gas and had to put in more than 26 gallons. I didn't get 1 mile down the road before I felt a big jerk and the engine cut off. Tried restarting and it immediately cut off twice. I had to hold the gas to keep it on for a few seconds and it stayed on but the stalling has been worse since then. I'm gonna replace my fuel pump, stalling, a lot of the time is fuel related.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having similar problems with stalling and rpms going up and down. It got worse when I almost ran out of gas and had to put in more than 26 gallons. I didn't get 1 mile down the road before I felt a big jerk and the engine cut off. Tried restarting and it immediately cut off twice. I had to hold the gas to keep it on for a few seconds and it stayed on but the stalling has been worse since then. I'm gonna replace my fuel pump, stalling, a lot of the time is fuel related.

FYI, lots of junk in the bottom of a tank, especially if U run it down and being 15 YOA. Fuel filter/lines clogged. Maybe some Chemtool cleaner may help. All depends. Not sure if U have a fuel filter or not in the 2004 and whether or not it is in the tank by pump.

NovaDenied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fuel filter and pump is all one assembly in the tank. Yes I agree with running near empty, just got lazy lol. I have been battling an evap leak for awhile. I replaced the leak detection pump but still get codes. The p0452 happened right after the refueling incident. Hoping its related to the fuel pump.

p0442.jpg

p0452.jpg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
delete

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 Ram 1500 3.7 2 wheel drive 142000 miles. While driving it feels like the motor is cutting out, it is a jerking feel the RPM's do not change and it may do it several times in a row and then again it may only do it once every hour. some times it is barely noticeable and others it is very noticeable it does not throw any codes nor does the check engine light come on. Weather is not a factor it doesn't seem to start causing the problem until the engine is warm typically after driving 5-10 miles.

Any suggestions......

Does it happen to do it under a slight load? If so its usually ignition, aka check plugs, ie crack in the porcelain, possibly weak coil. Im assuming no misfire codes? If fuel usually it would get worse the harder you gas on it. Taking off fast per say.

OP
OP
D

DGUESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
No misfire codes, I added STP fuel treatment but that did not help, if anything it seems to do it while your speed is steady doesn't matter if running 75 MPH or 30 MPH. I am going to try new plugs, I am going to pick up 1 new coil pack and move it around to see if that is the problem before I replace them all. I would think it would throw a code if a coil pack? The engine does not shut off and the RPM's do not change. any thoughts.....

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No misfire codes, I added STP fuel treatment but that did not help, if anything it seems to do it while your speed is steady doesn't matter if running 75 MPH or 30 MPH. I am going to try new plugs, I am going to pick up 1 new coil pack and move it around to see if that is the problem before I replace them all. I would think it would throw a code if a coil pack? The engine does not shut off and the RPM's do not change. any thoughts.....

I probably wouldn't suspect a coil yet, there are codes, circuit codes for coils yea. Sometimes you will get a generic misfire code but it may not be bad enough yet for that. I think plugs would be what i would be looking at first. If they haven't been changed in a long time i would definitely do that.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fuel filter and pump is all one assembly in the tank. Yes I agree with running near empty, just got lazy lol. I have been battling an evap leak for awhile. I replaced the leak detection pump but still get codes. The p0452 happened right after the refueling incident. Hoping its related to the fuel pump.

View attachment 187559

View attachment 187560
Typically that is a vapor purge solenoid and it is located on the driver side front of the engine bay on a 2006 and I believe it is on the same location in a 2004.

04669569_0001__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:

NovaDenied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks LoneWolf, I'm getting my fuel pump replaced tomorrow morning and I'll ask my mech to get one for me and see if that helps.