Daytime Running Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Awesome, way to go Scott

You’ll laugh when you see how easy and quick it is to install. You’ll have it installed quicker than you could even park your truck at the dealer and walk in

Maybe I'll be lucky and get two...

I'm just sorry I missed the one you posted up!

Reactions: JB1

donut1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just was at the dealer and talked to them about this.

We walked through the process that was clearly laid out in the letter and it was super simple to find and add.

They did it for free with my oil change.

Love the look with the DRLs.

PS - sat inside the 2019 Laramie....MY GOD...they did it right with that one!

Reactions: JB1

donut1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installation is pretty simple.

1) purchased the lights and module controller from Amazon (LeadTops 2Pcs set DRL LED daytime running lights $15.10, Hooshion Car LED Controller Daytime Running Light $9.99) also I got 66ft 20awg Cable Wire Cord for Led Strips $7.99 (you don't need all that wire but I got it just in case, you only really need about 6 feet)

2) Build a cardboard template in the shape of the lights and mark the holes on the cardboard.
3) Use the cardboard template to drill the 3 holes in the plastic spoiler (2 holes for the screws, and 1 for the wire)
4) Mount the Hooshion light controller anywhere by the fuse box. The controller will turn on your lights when the engine starts and turns them off 30 seconds after you stop the engine.

5) Run the wires from the controller to the lights
6) Connect the controller red wire to the main bus of the fuse box and the black wire to ground. The yellow wire is used if you want the lights to dim 50% when your head lights come on. You need to hook up the yellow wire to one of the head lights. I didn't connect the yellow wire, I like the DRLs nice and bright :)

That's it! ....Let me know if you need my installation pics
View attachment 131446 View attachment 131447
Does this throw any errors on the dashboard?

Also - how are the lights holding up after a month of using them?

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just was at the dealer and talked to them about this.

We walked through the process that was clearly laid out in the letter and it was super simple to find and add.

They did it for free with my oil change.

Love the look with the DRLs

I wish my dealer was as helpful as yours, congrats they are nice

donut1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish my dealer was as helpful as yours, congrats they are nice
Have you shown them the letter regarding this issue. It explains exactly what they have to do.

105979-72b1bd42626d5188b899179d8aaea50e.jpg

donut1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have DRL’s and I change my own oil. I only visit dealerships when I absolutely have no choice
Alrighty then....sounds like I should just give up my truck since I didn’t change my oil...

Can Water Geo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am amused at this thread. Up here in Canada DRL's have been mandatory on all vehicles for something like 30 years. It really should be a simple thing for a shop to activate them. Hell I'm surprised that they aren't mandatory for the US too. They do in my opinion make a positive safety difference on the road.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was quoted 1 hour at one dealership ($115) and at another $200, then a third said they weren't sure but to just drop it off for the weekend. This is after i told them it only takes like 10 minutes to do. I'm losing faith in the dealerships around here as none of them immediately knew what DRL's were and if they could turn them on or not. I had to convince each one that it can be done according to the forums.

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you shown them the letter regarding this issue. It explains exactly what they have to do.

Some dealers are just a PITA. I would love DRLs, but it's not even worth asking ANY of my local dealerships. I purchased a (used) truck from about 60 miles away. Well, I noticed my XM wasn't working and I have 34K miles on my truck, so I took it to (one of) my local dealers. As I'm asking him to fix my stereo he tries to tell me I need to take it back to the dealer I purchased the truck from (which happened to be a Ram dealer). Ummm, no. It's under warranty and I can take it to any dealer. I could go on and on, but to sum it up, all of our local dealers are... ugh.

Stevethemechanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I unplugged the sunlight sensor located in the front center of the dash, (I used a plastic pry tool so I wouldn't damage the plastic trim) After unplugging the sensor I leave the light switch in the auto position. The lights still stay on for a few minutes after turning the truck off. Now the lights come on when I start the truck and they go off after a couple of minutes after turning the truck off. The only draw back is I have to turn the dash brightness up during the day and dim it a little at night

pcguru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK printed out all of the info posted to get the DRL turned on. Got a local dealer but need to start at the
the one I bought the 2018 Laramie at 58,000. I need to get oil changed and tires rotated so we will see if the new manager will change the settings. Never thought the ECO diesel would be so expensive to keep up. Oil change will be around $200.00. Gotta use special oil and it takes 10.5 quarts and filter. Was told that at 20,000 miles the cost would be additional 2+ $ because the fuel filter needs to be changed. So now we get to see if this dealer will do the DRL for free. I can always go to the local and get this done.

zacbar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Apologies if this was already covered in the thread but I didn’t see it. I have the quad reflectors and already have DRL’s (Canadian truck). I want to swap in a set of the factory projector lights but I’ve read that the amber LED strips won’t function as DRL’s unless they came with your truck from the factory. Any idea if they will work if I change the code in alfaOBD, or get my dealer to change it?

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apologies if this was already covered in the thread but I didn’t see it. I have the quad reflectors and already have DRL’s (Canadian truck). I want to swap in a set of the factory projector lights but I’ve read that the amber LED strips won’t function as DRL’s unless they came with your truck from the factory. Any idea if they will work if I change the code in alfaOBD, or get my dealer to change it?
I don't know for absolute sure but I would think if you had amber DRL on quad that amber DRL would be active on projector. At any rate, Alfa should be able to change if not. As far as your dealer goes, it all depends on the dealer.

zacbar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know for absolute sure but I would think if you had amber DRL on quad that amber DRL would be active on projector. At any rate, Alfa should be able to change if not. As far as your dealer goes, it all depends on the dealer.
Thanks for the reply. In Canada, DRL’s on the quads are actually the halogen high beams running at a reduced voltage. Which is why I’m concerned that if I swap in a set of projector lights, my truck will still try running the high beams as the DRL’s. I’m hoping that is something alfa can adjust like you said.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. In Canada, DRL’s on the quads are actually the halogen high beams running at a reduced voltage. Which is why I’m concerned that if I swap in a set of projector lights, my truck will still try running the high beams as the DRL’s. I’m hoping that is something alfa can adjust like you said.

Think I misread. Mine did not come with projectors from factory. I originally had quads and upgraded to projectors. I’ve used Alfa to enable every location setting available for projectors. Mine is not a Canadian truck however but I don’t think it would make a difference. Could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Double post

Last edited:

pcguru

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installation is pretty simple.

1) purchased the lights and module controller from Amazon (LeadTops 2Pcs set DRL LED daytime running lights $15.10, Hooshion Car LED Controller Daytime Running Light $9.99) also I got 66ft 20awg Cable Wire Cord for Led Strips $7.99 (you don't need all that wire but I got it just in case, you only really need about 6 feet)

2) Build a cardboard template in the shape of the lights and mark the holes on the cardboard.
3) Use the cardboard template to drill the 3 holes in the plastic spoiler (2 holes for the screws, and 1 for the wire)
4) Mount the Hooshion light controller anywhere by the fuse box. The controller will turn on your lights when the engine starts and turns them off 30 seconds after you stop the engine.

5) Run the wires from the controller to the lights
6) Connect the controller red wire to the main bus of the fuse box and the black wire to ground. The yellow wire is used if you want the lights to dim 50% when your head lights come on. You need to hook up the yellow wire to one of the head lights. I didn't connect the yellow wire, I like the DRLs nice and bright :)

That's it! ....Let me know if you need my installation pics
View attachment 131446 View attachment 131447

Chuck in Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Great thread. Gonna have to visit the dealer. But in the mean time, I bought a 2 inch foam paint brush and stuck it between the windshield and the sensor. Leave the headlight on "Auto", and it's not DRL, but lights are always on at startup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank