Daytime running lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How much do those old lumps stick out? I bet you notice them sticking out more than the vehicles around them with lights on.
There is times and conditions that benefit from having lights on. Most of the day to day daytime driving it isn't going to matter.
The bigger problem now is the people who pay way too much attention to their phones, and it's not just texting. People get lost in a phone call, clueless to everything going on around them.

That's the problem,they don't stick out,you can see another car with lights on coming at you a lot farther away then you can if they have no lights on,even on a bright sunny day. The real issue other then the phone /texting moron,is the dummie who leaves home with just the DRL's on,and either doesn't know enough or care enough to turn the headlights on so they have tail lights.Apparently our government is going to take care of that problem too,by making it mandatory for the taillights to also be on with the DRL's. Crash you don't honestly put any stock in that DOT test do you? Not only is it almost a dozen years old,but how do you gather information on something that is non-existent.If nobody has DRL's what is the basis for the argument they don't work,or for a government outfit to say they don't save lifes? Kind of curious how you'd go about explaining how they gathered any info to either support them or to claim they don't work.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That's the problem,they don't stick out,you can see another car with lights on coming at you a lot farther away then you can if they have no lights on a bright sunny day.
I will not only call BS on this but also tell your fooling yourself about being able to see a reduced brightness light on a vehicle any further away on a bright sunny day and define any significant useable difference in distance. Most people don't have the definition of vision that's capable.
Keep in mind where DRLs have shown the largest possible percentage of reducing accidents are in areas that predominantly areas that have less number of bright sunny days.
The real issue other then the phone /texting moron,is the dummie who leaves home with just the DRL's on,and either doesn't know enough or care enough to turn the headlights on so they have tail lights.Apparently our government is going to take care of that problem too,by making it mandatory for the taillights to also be on with the DRL's. Crash you don't honestly put any stock in that DOT test do you? Not only is it almost a dozen years old,but how do you gather information on something that is non-existent.

Your dead on about the people paying way too much attention to their phones, that is the bigger issue to contend with. No amount of lights and even an air horn sometimes doesn't even get their attention.
You keep missing the point about about everyone having lights on, due to our great optical system with our brains, it has the propensity to pick up on differential and ignore repetitiveness. You'll notice more of someone who's DRLs are out vs the 30 other cars you just passed.
GM was kindly put DRL in cars since around 2000 about 8 years before that test was done. There have also been numerous other leaps and bounds of safety improvements regarding ABS braking, electronic stability control, etc that has a much larger impact that negates the validity of DRLs.
Your government is gonna cram rear DRLs on you, I should start buying stock in taillight and light bulb manufacturers...lol

You need a beer?, this could be fun to debate and as long as we can agree to disagree...it's all good!

Last edited:

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DOT and SAE are so far behind on headlights compared to Europe
You will be pulled over and ticketed if your lights are to high impairing on coming traffic
In any weather a car with lights will be seen before one with out so I believe that DRL's are good
In bad weather I run with taillights for my protection

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I will not only call BS on this but also tell your fooling yourself about being able to see a reduced brightness light on a vehicle any further away on a bright sunny day and define any significant useable difference in distance. Most people don't have the definition of vision that's capable.
Keep in mind where DRLs have shown the largest possible percentage of reducing accidents are in areas that predominantly areas that have less number of bright sunny days.

Your dead on about the people paying way too much attention to their phones, that is the bigger issue to contend with. No amount of lights and even an air horn sometimes doesn't even get their attention.
You keep missing the point about about everyone having lights on, due to our great optical system with our brains, it has the propensity to pick up on differential and ignore repetitiveness. You'll notice more of someone who's DRLs are out vs the 30 other cars you just passed.
GM was kindly put DRL in cars since around 2000 about 8 years before that test was done. There have also been numerous other leaps and bounds of safety improvements regarding ABS braking, electronic stability control, etc that has a much larger impact that negates the validity of DRLs.
Your government is gonna cram rear DRLs on you, I should start buying stock in taillight and light bulb manufacturers...lol

You need a beer?, this could be fun to debate and as long as we can agree to disagree...it's all good!

I'll have to go with your last statement, I don't agree,lol. But I don't think I have much chance in changing your mindset either,and I know you won't be changing mine,lol.So i'll settle on the last line of your statement.We'll have to share a beer if you ever get up here,where the beers a beer,lol

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With ram truck's that use high beams as drl's they are are a reduced voltage.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
They are reduced voltage by default, but there is a setting in alfaOBD to adjust also. And when set up correctly in alfaOBD, there is the option to turn them on and off in the uconnect also.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Actually I believe GM did Deals before 1996. My wife and I purchased our first new car a 96 Corsica and I believe every GM at that time had DRL, and auto headlights as well. Still had manual locks and windows in ours, but I thought we were high tech with the lighting. Lol

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a smart phone or tablet then you can download an app called OBD JScan. It is free but will need to purchase a Bluetooth device to read it. I think I have 30 bucks for mine on amazon.

Once you do then it is 18 bucks I believe to purchase the vin license for your vehicle. That’s so you can’t pass it around from person to person. So all in all you have just over 50 bucks in it but you can just about do anything you want from turning drl lights on to trouble shooting codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckeyexx, I am curious about this OBD JScan. Have you also tried alfaOBD? I have and like the options it gives, but just curious to hear a comparison.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Buckeyexx, I am curious about this OBD JScan. Have you also tried alfaOBD? I have and like the options it gives, but just curious to hear a comparison.

I downloaded the jscan just to see what it is. It only works on 09-12 truck's and has most of the simple changes that alphaobd can do. 17d6d17b83efd02b366235ff17813755.png54061cc60089073443b9507ddbccfe19.png75047d772a002c46c1966f3e7d96459a.png76b34b512ed277025250d086466c8657.pngc358369fe2e4edd11cf7d4d495ad626f.png26f1ca1a86d6739603b195603d651f00.png57a72862fc067f6654d116e59f2ff762.png3148e507694324f9de2f3f9fe9296fdd.png

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I have not tried the alphaOBD so I can’t compare them. I did have the OBD JScan and it worked flawlessly for what I used it for. I had originally got it for my wife’s Jeep Wrangler so I could do things to it but then bought the license for the ram to do the same. It is only for 09-12 ram right now but hope they figure out the newer ones soon. I know for a fact it will turn what ever lights on you wish for drl’s as I had my front amber lights turned when I traded it in. It will also give the option to run the high beams at 50 percent output. The biggest reason I got it for the ram was to turn my tpms off because I was having problems with it. You can also change the threshold to what you like.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Definitely agree to disagree.Just one question for you Crash,how much driving have you actually done where DRL's are mandatory?I've done a fair amount with both and IMHO
DRL's are far more visible.Take a gray/silver colored car driving on older gray colored pavement and it's nearly invisible.Then throw in an overcast day and David Copperfield couldn't make it disappear quicker.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not tried the alphaOBD so I can’t compare them. I did have the OBD JScan and it worked flawlessly for what I used it for. I had originally got it for my wife’s Jeep Wrangler so I could do things to it but then bought the license for the ram to do the same. It is only for 09-12 ram right now but hope they figure out the newer ones soon. I know for a fact it will turn what ever lights on you wish for drl’s as I had my front amber lights turned when I traded it in. It will also give the option to run the high beams at 50 percent output. The biggest reason I got it for the ram was to turn my tpms off because I was having problems with it. You can also change the threshold to what you like.

Thanks for the info. My Ram is a 18, so I guess it wouldn't do me any good anyway. alfaOBD will do pretty much anything you want with DRL and much more, including tpms adjustments. Look it up in the diy section under 4th gen's if you want more info.

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What did you have to do for the display toggle? I have activated DRL on my 2016 but can’t find anything in the display.

@1500ram12 has you covered. I just followed the instructions I found on the forum along with this video: I forget exactly which setting gives you the on screen toggle but I think they mention it in the video.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Definitely agree to disagree.Just one question for you Crash,how much driving have you actually done where DRL's are mandatory?I've done a fair amount with both and IMHO
DRL's are far more visible.Take a gray/silver colored car driving on older gray colored pavement and it's nearly invisible.Then throw in an overcast day and David Copperfield couldn't make it disappear quicker.

Just one question for you Crash,how much driving have you actually done where DRL's are mandatory?I've done a fair amount with both and IMHO

Wouldn't matter whether it was mandatory or not, if anything being where there is a mix of vehicles would make car with them stick out more(you have still yet to believe if every vehicle has them, it makes them less effective). I've logged well over 600K miles in city and freeway driving, in you name it weather and conditions. DRLs do nothing in a bright sunny day for making the roads any safer. If weather is effecting visibility the headlights are already mandated to be used.
If you can't see a car 1/4 mile out on an overcast day, I hate to tell you this but turn in your license as your offically a hazard to people around you. With a car approaching you 60 mph, at 1/4 mile(a typical city block) that gives you the driver about 8 seconds to decide what to do, a five second execute time with solid safety margin of 1 second or 88 feet (4 car lengths). Unless your on the freeway, your not going to be dealing with those kinds of speed to distances
Unless that car is a bright yellow, orange, red, etc, they'll all blend into the distance even white, and silver. The profile of an on coming car and the visable angles of the hood/roof make most colors indistinguishable from one another at any considerable distance.
There hard questions you can't answer, how many of the cars that you see with DRLs, was it because of the DRLs or was it just the most noticable thing about the car? and would you have not seen that car if the DRLs were off?

<beer anyone>

pmccullough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I highly suggest using Alfa OBD to activate them. The dealers near me wouldn't mess with it. I did it myself in my driveway and have an onscreen toggle for daytime running lights on my uconnect thanks to doing it myself.

I just did this as well. I have a 2015 1500 Sport with projector headlights. I cannot get the hi beams to work as DLR's though. I used alfaobd with no problems. I can change to turn signal, lo beam, fog lights and the change is immediate. Even "dedicated" will turn on the turn signal for it. The toggle even shows up in the settings which I read might not happen. But the hi beams won't work for this. Does anyone know if this is because of the type of headlight?

pmccullough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@1500ram12 has you covered. I just followed the instructions I found on the forum along with this video: I forget exactly which setting gives you the on screen toggle but I think they mention it in the video.

These were the directions I followed as well, before I found them on the forum here. He has a 2015 also, and I bought the Veepeak that he mentions. Worked fine for my 15.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't matter whether it was mandatory or not, if anything being where there is a mix of vehicles would make car with them stick out more(you have still yet to believe if every vehicle has them, it makes them less effective). I've logged well over 600K miles in city and freeway driving, in you name it weather and conditions. DRLs do nothing in a bright sunny day for making the roads any safer. If weather is effecting visibility the headlights are already mandated to be used.
If you can't see a car 1/4 mile out on an overcast day, I hate to tell you this but turn in your license as your offically a hazard to people around you. With a car approaching you 60 mph, at 1/4 mile(a typical city block) that gives you the driver about 8 seconds to decide what to do, a five second execute time with solid safety margin of 1 second or 88 feet (4 car lengths). Unless your on the freeway, your not going to be dealing with those kinds of speed to distances
Unless that car is a bright yellow, orange, red, etc, they'll all blend into the distance even white, and silver. The profile of an on coming car and the visable angles of the hood/roof make most colors indistinguishable from one another at any considerable distance.
There hard questions you can't answer, how many of the cars that you see with DRLs, was it because of the DRLs or was it just the most noticable thing about the car? and would you have not seen that car if the DRLs were off?

<beer anyone>
Well we did agree to disagree.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
The DOT didn't find enough significant reason to make them mandatory.

If everyone has them, they become less effective as they don't stick out. Much like how on a construction site everyone wearing HiViz clothing, it no longer is attention grabbing.
Nowadays the bigger problem is keeping people from paying attention to their phones, no amount of lights will help with that.View attachment 193778
That is so damn silly, Bet he has never been out in the country in the evening.
Of course everyone has them on, the is the point, people drive with out lights on when they should on.
Most of my driving is on 2 lane highway and lots of semi's, middle of the day. it makes big difference as well.
Meet a old car or truck with out day lights, and you think, what the hell?
Canada does get carried way with telling us what we can and can't do though.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the quad headlights and the only option the dealer gave me was for the high beams. I wanted to use the parking lights so I opted not to do it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just did this as well. I have a 2015 1500 Sport with projector headlights. I cannot get the hi beams to work as DLR's though. I used alfaobd with no problems. I can change to turn signal, lo beam, fog lights and the change is immediate. Even "dedicated" will turn on the turn signal for it. The toggle even shows up in the settings which I read might not happen. But the hi beams won't work for this. Does anyone know if this is because of the type of headlight?
My 14 sport with projectors use the main lights as DLR , but as some one said, not full bright. Got me thinking, I could go out and check the light.
I do not think that a truck sold in Canada, and one sold the US will have a different wiring harness.
So I can't see why they could not be turned on down there, maybe the dealer don't know, or can't
be bothered???????????

And as some one that has driven with them, even on bright day, they still make a difference.
Around town, with street lights, I do see people with only DTR lights on, and it is not old people as a rule.