Dead 2016 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phaeton16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thought I would put this out there..... Last night my wife was stranded in a store parking lot in Idaho. When she came out to leave the truck would not start so a couple of people tried to help her out with a jump but nothing. When I arrive I noticed the battery had plenty of charge but when using the fob key start nothing, no clicking nada . So after disconnecting battery a couple of times a woman passing by says my husband works at O'reilly's he's at home I will have him drive over ( WOW) I was getting ready to have it towed ( I Live 32 miles away) My O'riley buddy locates the problem, its the K07 relay Starter Sel. he grabs one off his truck that operates his fog lights and Boom starts right up. My new friend just saved me a couple hundred dollars, anyway I'm telling anybody I know to put a couple of these relays in your truck for insurance. PS this happened about 9:30 pm and we were in an area with no cell service. Great to know there are still awesome people out there that still care about their fellow man.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. Thanks for that relay info!

Just today I was running errands. Turned the key on my 2012 Tradesman (Hemi) and ...nothing. Couple times more and nothing. No dash lights either. I opened the door and the center message panel (on the instrument panel) came on indicating a door was open and showed the digital mileage. Ok, that was good anyway. I closed the door and BOOM the truck started. Probably unrelated, but. This was the 2nd time this happened. The first time was a few months ago but the truck started after 2 or 3 turns of the key. Anyway today I finished running errands and the tk started every time after that.

Based on the info above by Phaeton16 (Post #1), when I got home I removed the K3 start relay (K3 is 'starter' on mine -- K7 is for HVAC on my tk), popped off the relay cap and took a good look at the actual relay contact surfaces with a 16x magnification jewelers loop. I did it outside in the sun where it was bright and sunny as the contacts are difficult to get a good view of. Yeah, the contacts appear to be real pitted and burned in the center (where the actual electrical contacting region is). A guy could probably get in there and scratch it with a fine tool, but my Tk is just shy of 170k mi, so I ordered several new (exact) OMRON 68083380AA relays and will replace when they arrive. I'm going to order a replacement large relay too and throw it in the glovebox.

I hope that takes care of the problem (fingers crossed). I'll let you know. I might go out and swap that K3 relay for one less critical to see how things go till the new relays arrive.

Thanks for everyone's info on these no-crank situations.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone else had a no-crank situation, perhaps try swapping relays in the fusebox till you figure out which combination allows it to start. Note which relay is was (start/run/fuel).

Last edited:

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Awesome story. Sorry you had the problem but wow it was almost worth it to be able to post that! I love ID, MT, WY, etc. Just got back from a week stay in Yellowstone, we actually stayed in an Airbnb near St. Anthony. ID. Great people there!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was at an auto parts store & this guy was showing off his engine
Then he opened the fuse box & i noticed that every thing that could be marked was neatly marked