Dealer installed electric brakes. 2018 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Perschke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had electric brakes installed in my new 2018 Ram. After i got home i couldn't find anywhere on the dash that showed the setting's for the ohm's sent to the brakes. I called the dealer and was told that there is not any gauge. I press the + until i get the setting where I want it. This is by feel only. I got the setting where I wanted and took the first trip. Every time I shut the truck off and restarted, I had to reset the brakes thru the controller. Does this sound correct? This is my first time with factory brake controller. In the past, I always used an after market controller and didn't have this issue.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
No it does not sound correct to me. My 14 1500 factory TBC keeps my setting. IE if I shut the truck off with it set to 8 it retains that. In Uconnect is it set on small electric?

OP
OP
D

Don Perschke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't show in uconnect .I don't have any Guage that shows the setting. I was told to set it by feel.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think you need to take it back to the dealer and have then flash in the sales code for an OEM trailer brake controller. Assuming, of course, that you had a Ram brake controller installed and not an aftermarket unit.

Best
DG

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the factory controller on my 16 2500 and it retains the setting same as Vern.

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think you need to take it back to the dealer and have then flash in the sales code for an OEM trailer brake controller. Assuming, of course, that you had a Ram brake controller installed and not an aftermarket unit.

Best
DG
+1

OP
OP
D

Don Perschke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is what I thought. There is nothing on the dash when I plug in the camper and when I asked the dealer, they said that is the way it is supposed to be.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I believe I'd go find another dealer and see what they say

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There are settings on the 8.4 radio for the ITB settings and the trailer brake will pop up on the multi-page EVIC when you manually slide the brake controller whether there is a trailer connected or not.
Like others have said, take it back to the dealer.

Chains45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Factory Trailer Brake Controller installed on my 2016 1500 just before i picked up the new trailer. Then over the last 2 weeks took the trailer to Colorado and back. Controller worked great and showed up on the EVIC as soon as I picked it up from the dealership.

CCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 with the factory controller installed after the fact. I did the install and had the dealer flash the sales code. All the trailer brake info. after that shows up as a page in the EVIC.

Rhino ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24 valve cummins
CCrew, What part number was the controller kit ? Was it 82213474 ? My poppy just bought a 2018 bighorn and needs a controller for the camper. I urged him to put in the factory one because of the look and ease of use once set up.

OP
OP
D

Don Perschke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CCrew, What part number was the controller kit ? Was it 82213474 ? My poppy just bought a 2018 bighorn and needs a controller for the camper. I urged him to put in the factory one because of the look and ease of use once set up.

I don't know I never saw the part.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Don as said, something's not right. On my 17 tradesman I have the factory itbc and there is a screen you can select in the heads up display in the gage cluster that shows where I have the gain set at. It shows trailer brake application when I apply the service brakes with the trailer connected. It holds my gain setting. Good luck getting it corrected