Dealer oil changes - Marking filters - Who does it?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JaymanUS, Apr 17, 2019.

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts
  1. JaymanUS

JaymanUS Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L HEMI
    So my truck came with 4 regular oil changes per year (im sure i got charged for it) for as long as I own the truck. Must be done at purchasing dealership.

Does anyone mark their oil filters before getting oil changed just to verify it actually got changed? hopefully it's not an issue... but just a safe measure.

McBroom likes this.
  2. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    One of my cars had the same thing (free oil changes for life). I never marked the filter. If I cant trust them to actually change it, I just wouldnt ever go there to get it changed.

Towards the end of when I would take it there, I knew for sure they at least changed it once....the only time I have ever needed to stab a filter with a screwdriver was when I had to change the oil myself (was about to go on vacation with it). That was *the* last time I ever let them touch the car, free or not.

3. Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Sport Quad BSP
    Engine:
    3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
    The front subframe should have oil residue from snaking the filter out. Difficult not to spill especially when you’re on shop time.

That being said, I change mine every-other due to modern filter capacities. Heavy use/towing periods would be every fluid change.

Random_Walk likes this.
  4. BWL

BWL Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    I mark the filters on equipment to make sure guys are changing the oil and not just resetting the computer, but if I take it in for a change I would be very surprised if that happened. I know because they use mopar and I use wix I could tell right away so I guess they are marked in a way in my case. Never had any shop not change the filter during an oil change.

5. 17CrewCab1500

17CrewCab1500 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I've heard of some people taking a pen/marker and putting a line on it. But you can tell if it's been changed. Cleaner and oil residue..etc.

I always put the date on mine - but I change my own oil.

6. PoMansRam

PoMansRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Pentastar 3.6
    New filter or not, I'm still more concerned about it being put on correctly. I know of people who've had such bad stuff happen, I have little/no faith in dealer oil changes. I've done every one myself for the past 30+ years.

They can't even get the Pentastar canister style oil filter right. A co-worker of mine almost lost the engine in his new Grand Cherokee due to the O-ring not being installed. They came to work to make it right though.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  7. MJCs04DieselRam

MJCs04DieselRam Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel
    On my '04, I write on the filter the mileage and date with a sharpie when I install the filter every time I change the oil. But, If I were you, the only way to be sure an oil-change place installed a new filter with your oil change is to write the mileage on the filter when you get home. Yes, the computer tracks the oil filter life and miles since oil change reset, but did they actually change the filter, or wipe it with a rag?. And, more importantly, with "free" oil changes, are the dealers installing a quality filter, or do they use the lower priced oil-change brand filter?

8. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I change it myself, but oil filters are cheap i doubt they'll be leaving the old untouched. i'll be more concerned with them not cleaning out the mess :)

9. rojo_143

rojo_143 Member Military

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 QC Sport 4x4. Maximum Steel Met.
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    I marked my filter for my first courtesy oil change from my purchasing dealership only because I had no experience with their work and wanted to ensure it got changed

15 Handicap likes this.
  10. Rado

Rado US NAVY VETERAN Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Pentastar 3.6 V6
    It never hurts to make sure the shop is honest ! If using a new shop I would just to be sure. Then if all is fine I would not bother !