Dealer oil changes - Marking filters - Who does it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Always a conundrum. For years I just did my own stuff but I have left that behind. These new systems are very sophisticated. Warranties are sophisticated. I think the truck company has every wish to make things run well and last and last. What would be their motive to have crappy filters if you have a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty. However if you go out side the system and use other filters etc it gives them a wedge to deny coverage. So beginning with my 2011 F150 I only went to Ford and when push came to shove this gave me leverage. So with my new RAM all will be done at the dealer, which incidentally has a shop that looks like it belongs at NASA. My discussion with my contacts note that dealers have quite a time being sure their "mechanics" do what they are supposed to do hence all the computerization so they can't cut corners. Like X number of vehicles went through and got a filter change so the inventory of filters had better match etc. So my advice is know your Service Manager and look them in the eye. Know the mechanic if possible. Once the warrant is off and you want to go rogue go ahead. Just be willing to accept the responsibility.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is my NON attorney mind working overtime: If your dealer said they changed your oil filter and you have irrefutable evidence(like a photo or a distinguishing mark on your filter)that they didn't do the work, and the dealer charged you for the service they did not provide, IMHO I think you have grounds for a civil action. Depending on your specific state statutes there also maybe a criminal violation. I know that there might be one or two attorneys on the forum, so maybe they might chime in with their non binding opinion. I think it would be interesting to know the answer----
Jay

Last edited:

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
Try to before every service, some times I run out of time and don't get it marked.

Hucky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So my truck came with 4 regular oil changes per year (im sure i got charged for it) for as long as I own the truck. Must be done at purchasing dealership.

Does anyone mark their oil filters before getting oil changed just to verify it actually got changed? hopefully it's not an issue... but just a safe measure.

Hucky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Don’t ever think that there are places that wouldn’t do this to you because they are out there. I would not take my vehicle to the dealer to start with but if you had free oil changes then I wouldn’t waste them. Most dealers are not going to jeopardize a reputation over a oil filter but on the other hand I have beeen ripped off by places like Jiffy Lube, where I paid for synthetic oil and received conventional oil and all they did was wipe the filter off. Finding a reputable oil change place is just like finding a good mechanic.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I mark any of my filters with the mileage when they are changed. I then ask to see them when they are changed. If the filter they show me doesn't have the gasket and a mileage number on it, I'll pop the hood right in front of them and have a look. If it has a mileage number on it, all hell breaks loose...

Over the years I have only caught a couple of the quickie oil change places playing fast and fancy with the filters... But after some really bad experiences with the Dodge dealers here in the Tampa Bay area, I don't use them for anything and couldn't tell you how honest they may or not be...

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was informed that it's their standard "Non" synthetic oil changes since that's all it calls for from manufacturer.

Mine is the 6.4. The book calls for full synthetic. I still wonder if that is what they use.

TSR6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The front subframe should have oil residue from snaking the filter out. Difficult not to spill especially when you’re on shop time.

That being said, I change mine every-other due to modern filter capacities. Heavy use/towing periods would be every fluid change.

That filter location is the worst design ever. I haven't ever at least dripped something on the front crossmember, those lines, or the transfer case.

Kevin Pine

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I'm paranoid. When I take my truck in for the free oil changes at my dealer, I stand out in the parking lot and watch them through the bay doors.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know my dealer changes it because I look and there is always residual dripping for a day. I recently had them service the transmission and its clear the pan came off.