Dealership Nightmares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdbarnes73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a comment I sent to RAM customer service. I doubt they will care since my truck is 8 model years old but I had to do it. I realize I bear some responsibility for not taking action before my powertrain warranty had almost expired.

"I bought my Ram from [A-dealership] in June 2020. When I first went to look at it, it was in the service department, on a lift with the transmission removed. Nobody could/would tell me why the transmission had been removed. When I had driven the truck and signed all the papers and took delivery of it my wife heard a chirping noise coming from the engine at idle. I pointed this out to my salesman and he went inside to ask around. He came back and said "they said they heard that but couldn't figure out what it is." I asked about some kind of guarantee since the transmission had been removed but was promptly brushed off. A few days later I received a call to inform me that the general manager had decided to provide me with a 6 month, 6,000 mile powertrain warranty. In December I brought the truck to [B-dealership] to have the noise diagnosed because I felt very slighted by the staff of [A-dealership]. [B-dealership] had determined that there was a ground strap pinched between the transmission and engine block and that there were two bolts missing from the transmission. It was their belief that this was the cause of my noise. [A-dealership] insisted that I bring it back to them to perform the repair, which I did. Not surprising to me, this did not fix the noise. I contacted [A-dealership] to tell them this and they asked me to bring it back because no one could hear this noise on multiple test drives. I brought it back for the service manager to hear and told him how I, formerly being an ASE certified master technician with advanced engine performance, had been all over the engine with a stethoscope and could hear the noise coming from the timing cover. He was very dismissive and told me that he pays his mechanics "the big bucks" to figure these things out. He told me I should call Tuesday to get scheduled to bring it back for diagnosis. This was on a Saturday. I got scheduled and dropped my truck off on January 18 for my January 19 appointment. It took them roughly a week and a half to locate the cause of the noise, a faulty lifter which had damaged the camshaft. It has now been over 3 weeks since I dropped my truck off and I still do not have it back. I have called multiple times for updates and each time I get more excuses for why this has taken so long. On January 29 I was told that they were waiting for a gasket, one gasket, that should arrive on February 2. On February 5 I was told that they were still waiting on one gasket which was expected to arrive on February 8 and that when it arrived the repair would only be one to one and a half hours away from completion. I called today, February 10 at 12:09PM and was told that someone would have to call me back because the service advisor didn't know the status of my truck. At 3:26, having not received a call back yet, i called again. After a 5 minute hold I was informed that it was still going back together and "fingers crossed it will be done tomorrow or the day after." When I asked why I was told on February 5 that the repair was so close to being complete she told me that she thought they were waiting on only one gasket, which I was told twice by both the service advisor and service manager, but it was actually two and there was a lot more than one and a half hours of work left. I must add that the service manager is taking care of this at "no cost" to me. However, this has become at great cost to me as I made a payment only 5 days before I dropped my truck off and I am scheduled to make another payment on February 12, just 2 days from now. I can not express how utterly frustrated and aggravated I am with the entire [A] dealership. I can guarantee that IF, and that is a huge if at this point, they ever get this repair completed correctly, I will never return to that dealership and I will do everything in my power to make sure that no one I ever come in contact with does business with them. I just thought you should be informed of how poorly this dealership represents your brand. Have a fantastic day."

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you say you are ASE certified and you bought the truck that had the tranny removed when you went to look at it? Then you bought it before driving it otherwise you should have heard the engine noise...OK.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Unfortunately dealerships are governed by themselves. FCA doesn't have much to do with it, the dealership basically buys trucks from them sells them for their price and repairs them as they see fit. I had some issues with my truck, after 3x getting it fixed and was told they will no longer warranty the parts and labor for that item (air-conditioning) I emailed FCA to complain and was told they are not governed by them, they are seperate entities basically a third party dealer selling their vehicles they have already purchased and can do from there. It blew me away.

Anyways it sucks you had a bad esperience, I refuse to take my truck for any warranty work or recalls. I'll do it myself. Went as far as buying a witech so I can do my own factory flashes if needed, I Hate dealerships that much. [emoji51]

My cam went two years ago. I did it myself, went aftermarket. Needless to say the MDS system is a joke, I get the exact same mpg with it deleted, a whole lot less going on inside the engine and now I have a ***** lumpy cam I get to enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
you say you are ASE certified and you bought the truck that had the tranny removed when you went to look at it? Then you bought it before driving it otherwise you should have heard the engine noise...OK.

^^^This^^^

Why the heck would you buy this truck, especially if you already had doubts in your mind?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So, you bought a 2013 ram with 102,000 miles in June of 2020.

Through the course of events, they gave you a 6 month/6000 mile warranty (shocked they did this, they certainly didn't have to)

Fast-forward, you had issues, bad lifter, etc. They've had your truck, waiting on parts, whatever.

Definately sucks, but the fact is you have the better end of the stick, no matter how you slice it.

Be thankful that you didn't get the as-is or a 30-day warranty, you would be screwed for sure.

The repairs are on them. Seems to me if your engine is toast, its up to them to fix. Inconvenient as hell, and who knows regarding parts, maybe they found more things needed.

I'm not defending the dealer, I am very distrustful myself, but at this point, pray that the work is done properly.

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Being a used vehicle and them paying for all the repairs I’d say making a payment while it’s still in the shop is the best situation. You could have been stuck with a worthless broke truck or spending $1,000’s of dollars paying for the repairs.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Read that long letter, the facts that stand out to me are: 1) you bought a truck with it on a lift with no transmission and without driving(?); 2) the dealership incorrectly put it back together but fixed it; 3) the same dealership is now fixing your engine issue after giving you more warranty than they needed to; and 4) they have made some mistakes in facts about the repairs but still are going to finish it for you. I think that dealership is doing what they needed and maybe even going above what they needed to, you should have had a full mechanical inspection of the truck at a trusted mechanic before buying, and, I can't believe I am writing this, but you should have bought an extended warranty.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Read that long letter, the facts that stand out to me are: 1) you bought a truck with it on a lift with no transmission and without driving(?); 2) the dealership incorrectly put it back together but fixed it; 3) the same dealership is now fixing your engine issue after giving you more warranty than they needed to; and 4) they have made some mistakes in facts about the repairs but still are going to finish it for you. I think that dealership is doing what they needed and maybe even going above what they needed to, you should have had a full mechanical inspection of the truck at a trusted mechanic before buying, and, I can't believe I am writing this, but you should have bought an extended warranty.

Can you get a warranty on an 8 year old truck ?

OP, lots of parts delays due to this covid thing.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Sorry man. I hope they get it fixed for you. They definitely have dinked you around a bit, but next time I'd hold off sending the letter until after you get it back. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Apparently, he got a warranty. Looks like the dealer is on the hook for it too. Best situation for the OP too, IMO.

Would suck to have a payment and a vehicle out of commision, and still have to pay $$$ for a major repair as well.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can you get a warranty on an 8 year old truck ?

OP, lots of parts delays due to this covid thing.
Yes on EW, Endurance, for example, goes up to 20 years. I was kind of poking fun at myself there, anyone who reads my posts on the subject of EW knows I am not a fan of them. But there appears to be value at times. And you hit the head on the nail with parts delays. This forum has multiple statements about that, and auto manufacturers are shutting down assembly lines due to parts shortages. Just a bad time time to need a part.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I should also say I feel bad for OP, it is a sucky thing and having to pay money for something he can't use is very frustrating, I am sure. But as another person states, at least hold the letter until after the repair is done. One would hope the dealer and FCA have thick skin, but courtesy, even when things are maddeningly frustrating, will be a better path. If nothing else, maybe ask while it is sitting there if they might offer some type of freebie, like a future oil change (or 2) for free, or maybe dealer cost on a accessory. I would have suggested to go to the sales person with this request, they want to keep a happy customer in their contact list to maybe sell another car to you or get a referral. Doesn't always happen, but you never know. To the OP, I would offer that maybe, if you feel differently at some point, you write a follow up letter to FCA to rescind what you said and even offer whatever praise you feel is justified (maybe the warranty they offered?). And maybe stop by to check in your truck some morning and drop off some donuts. Not saying you aren't entitled to be frustrated, but maybe you feel better after and they throw you a bone to reciprocate. Hope it works out.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^^^^^ Well said.

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sorry....I'm not a professional mechanic, I did work for a number of years in my younger days ,for a small ,private repair shop where I learned a great deal about car mechanics. Ok, # 1...buying anything used IMHO with more then 70,000mi on it is a complete waste of money unless it's being given to you. #2...if I ever walked into a dealership to see the car/truck I'm buying and its up on a lift, with its guts spread all over the floor.....I would turn to the salesman...thank him for wasting my time, and laugh loudly all the way out the door. That's just me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dannyb3051

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys, ease up on this man. Coming up as a sharecroppers son I bought on credit what I could afford. Sometimes it was very frustrating having the vehicles in the shop while still making the payments. Given you shouldn’t complain if the dealer is taking care of you and your vehicle. Write the letter, set it aside, and see what the outcome is. Then if you still feel that strongly send the letter. The car company doesn’t control the dealers, true, but if they get enough complaints against one dealer they will take action. I hope you get a good reliable vehicle back from the dealer. Work hard, be level headed and buy new when you can. 2021 Ram 1500, 5.7 etorque, Limited Longhorn, 4X4, crew cab, 5’7” bed. I love my Truck! I have been privileged to buy new Rams every year since 2010, Ram does care and they make a great truck. Thanks

Last edited:

David J Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This comment doesn’t help anyone. It’s just rude.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This comment doesn’t help anyone. It’s just rude.
Don't melt..now that was rude...but really don't. Feel free to put me on your A-hole list if that will help in the future.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good luck with your repair but like others have said, in the future I’d wait to send the letter until you’ve got the truck back. As frustrated as you are it does sound like they’re trying. Good luck!