Deer suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Every time i kill one with my Locomotive I think to myself, that's one less i got to worry about with my Truck

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I believe hes in canada, don't know how their insurance works. Similar to ours or no. Sometimes other countries have wildly different things iv'e come to see. Such as Australia i believe does not have independent repair shops, dealer only.

I think it falls under the "sucks for you, eh" clause. Ok another one :Boo::Boo:

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe hes in canada, don't know how their insurance works. Similar to ours or no. Sometimes other countries have wildly different things iv'e come to see. Such as Australia i believe does not have independent repair shops, dealer only.
I don't know how the states handle it, here you're covered if you hit the animal but not if you hit the ditch avoiding the animal. So as long as it's a deer and not an elk or a moose you're better off just smashing the thing.

I've hit 3 deer with my truck, two does and one baby all at different points. I've yet to get anything fixed though as I've hit them all with just the edges of the bumper and a damaged metal bumper on a truck doesn't bother me! They're battle scars. You should see my bumper now, some lady in a Mercedes backed into me full tilt at an intersection. Faired a lot better than her car though, she'd apparently only owned it for a couple of days too....

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know how the states handle it, here you're covered if you hit the animal but not if you hit the ditch avoiding the animal. So as long as it's a deer and not an elk or a moose you're better off just smashing the thing.

Holy cow what a decision to make at speed! Not sure but it should be same here. Hit animal good/dodge bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy cow what a decision to make at speed! Not sure but it should be same here. Hit animal good/dodge bad.

Maybe that's why it's just Ram now and not Dodge Ram? Lol

They're helping you remember.
My friend hit a moose in a Dodge Caravan years ago and let me tell you, if I see a moose I'm avoiding the thing whether insurance likes it or not. He's got scars all over his face from it going through the windshield.

R

Rampower2012

Had the same thang hapin last June whole frount headlights gril fansheroud fan

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
will those big ulgy bumpers help at all?

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
will those big ulgy bumpers help at all?
Kind of, it depends on how you hit it and how tall it is compared to the bumper.
If your bumper hits its legs it's still going to fly into your grill and do damage. The bumper would likely be fine after a wash but you'd still have the insurance claim on everything else.
If you're lifted or it's a short animal you'll push it underneath, and it'd possibly damage parts of the front end unless you have skid plates. Best case scenario is it bounces off and to the side and you run it over or miss it entirely.
If you're talking one of those grill guards that mount to the tow hook location, they usually bend back into the grill/radiator and actually cause more damage than you'd have seen otherwise. Those are just aesthetic or for pushing shopping carts out of the way at the grocery store.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never had a scratch till the weekend
S8TM4yS

View attachment 191116
Maybe time to invest in a heavy duty brush bar for the front of the pick up. That would save a lot of damage.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7

I trained my teenagers to do their best to stop, but do not leave the pavement. Too many people die when dodging critters. Trees do not give. For survivability, best to take the animal head on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I trained my teenagers to do their best to stop, but do not leave the pavement. Too many people die when dodging critters. Trees do not give. For survivability, best to take the animal head on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I totally agree, teach my wife this too! But, big but... we dont have moose here. Thank goodness.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you folks know that John Deere had a unknown sister company? Jane Doe. Don't forget to tip your waiter. :happy160:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
We have narrow roads out where I am, and I've bounced off one deer once (10mph... cracked the grille, but that was it.) I did two things to fix that

1) get a deer whistle - after six months of using one, it's no joke, these things do work. I've seen deer along the road actually run off from the truck as I approached the point of the road nearest them. Costs like four bucks, and I mounted it right on the front bumper.

2) Since I'm able to get down to a low speed just in case, as a precaution I got a grille guard bolted onto the front... it ain't perfect, but it is hella sturdy, and for those times when they're too stupid to move and you're down to that 10mph...

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
IMG_20200104_164922923.jpg

I hit the enter button a bit too soon... because #3 is a set of bright-as-hell LED lights. These are just the lo-beams. :)

Seth Richards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l Hemi
I hit a deer in a Saturn when I was in college. I was too broke to pay the deductible so I bought a rubber mallet and tried to pound the hood back into shape best I could. The front driver side headlight pointed up in the air for a while. My girlfriend at the time joked she knew when I was coming over by the spot light in the sky.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Glad you are okay! Could have been worse of course. Glad it wasn't something like this that was posted late last year. Poster said insurance wrote the truck off as a total loss. A deer in the headlights is one thing but this is quite another! Apparently another vehicle hit the deer and it was tossed up into the air and onto the truck driver was okay the deer sadly not so much.

deer.jpeg

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
When I lived in Juneau, AK, I hit a black bear on my way to work. Nailed him with my right front bumper (pushed it in), he spun around and hit the passenger door (caved it in), then the Ford truck behind me drove right over the top of him. We both pulled over to assess the situation and that fockin' bear was hauling ass off across a field. I think I saw him flippin' us off as he ran away to boot... Tough ********.

**Side Note** About 3 weeks prior I had bought a VW Jetta to commute to work (you know.... to be green), but this day decided to drive the GMC since it hadn't been driven in a couple weeks. After the collision I immediately sold the VW because I realized then and there that had I been driving the Jetta, that bear would have been sitting right next to me....And considering the fact that two full sized trucks couldn't take him out, that Jetta would have just pissed him off. Haven't owned anything other than trucks and SUV's since.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes we do have Independant repair shops for all types of repair/servicing....

Dealers here are just as bad as USA.... [emoji16]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes we do have Independant repair shops for all types of repair/servicing....

Dealers here are just as bad as USA.... [emoji16]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Ive gotten some bad info then.
And on another note me and my wife are heartbroken over all the fires and devestation down there. Shes constantly trying to search for signs of good news.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oh man that sucks. I nailed one with my 2017 back in 2018. Cracked the plastic bumper and nicked the leading edge of the front right fender which chipped the paint off it. Bumper stayed as is and I have to keep touching up the spot on the fender with what ever black touch up paint I have on hand. SO many deer in my area, it's bound to happen again.

I hate having collision work done on daily-driver type vehicles like our trucks. It's always going to be done to a price point. The job is going to match what the insurance company (or you) are willing to pay. I don't think there's a single collision shop in my area that guarantees or warranties their work.

In terms of avoidance? All the driver training crap we have to go through for work tells you just like mentioned above. Never swerve. Let off the gas, stay the course and try to safely slow down if you can. It's easier said than done.