DEF Pump for Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lon gene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram Forum members. I have a 2019 Ram 2500 with a 6.7 diesel. The truck is still under the factory warranty. My truck has been at a Chrysler dealership for over 6 weeks and they can not find a replacement DEF pump.
Has anyone else had an issue with looking for a DEF pump and has anyone found someplace with availability to replace?
So frustrated and it is time to go camping!

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles. I have read several times of DEF pump failures, and backordered parts. Have you called Ram and started a case? @RamCares is sometimes on the forum. You can PM them your VIN and details to see if they can help. The parts situation is a real problem.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Ram Forum members. I have a 2019 Ram 2500 with a 6.7 diesel. The truck is still under the factory warranty. My truck has been at a Chrysler dealership for over 6 weeks and they can not find a replacement DEF pump.
Has anyone else had an issue with looking for a DEF pump and has anyone found someplace with availability to replace?
So frustrated and it is time to go camping!

Hi Lon, we're here to help! Please send us a PM with your VIN and mileage so that we can take a look at this for you.

Michelle
Ram Cares

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nation Wide Backorder. There was a guy on Cumminsforum that found the last DEF Pump and got it for his truck.

Honestly, any good dealer that takes care of their customers (ya know, the people that keep them in business) would go take one off another truck on the lot and get ya going.

This Ram Cares thing doesn’t help according to that guy, but who knows, perhaps they might be able to help you and not give ya the run around.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is now way any dealer would scavenge parts off other trucks on the lot. :untitled:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I went through the DEF pump availability nightmare last year. My truck is a 2016 and out of warranty. If you want it covered under warranty you are stuck with what ever the RAM dealer says.

I called 25 dealerships across the US with no luck. Bought a "rebuilt" one off of Ebay. It was DOA and looked like someone just pulled it off a junker. I tried wrecking yards but they got wise to the scarcity and jacked up the price to near new part levels. I just kept checking Ebay several times per day and finally an OEM pump new in the box showed up for $800. I pounced on it in seconds. It was from a large company that was changing their fleet from RAM to Ford so they were selling all the spare RAM parts from their warehouse. They shipped it to me 2 day air. This whole ordeal took something like 2 months.

I sent my failed pump out to Cardone and had it rebuilt. It took 4 weeks from the day I sent it until the day I received back from them. It now sits on the shelf in case the current one fails. Probably won't fail since I have a spare which acts as a talisman against future failures.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know and you know that, a dealer would not take a part off a new truck to help a customer when an emissions item is on National Backorder. But do like this idea, make it a LAW, any emissions item that has a National Backorder, the dealer MUST take off said part from an unsold NEW vehicle on the lot to get the customer going. If not, a loaner by the dealer for how ever many months it takes to get the part(s) and/or the manufacturer starts making the payments on said vehicle for however long it takes to get the part(s). Sounds fair to me.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just curious where the money to implement these suggestions would come from? None of them are without cost. Those costs would be passed on to the only party to pass such costs to, the customer by way of higher prices, lower rebates, no discounts, etc. Also, the logistics and accounting would be a nightmare. Most dealers don't actually own all the cars on their lot outright. They are owned by banks that loan them money or the factory as many are floor planned. Taking a part off a vehicle on the lot would make it unsaleable which would make whoever owns it very unhappy and open the dealer up to legal and / or financial issues. Same reason they can't give someone a "loaner" vehicle off the lot.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And yet people are stuck waiting for, in this case, an emissions part. Can’t drive the truck, more than likely making payments on a truck that ya can’t drive but somehow the manufacturer is doing the best they can to get ya going? I call BS! That new truck on the lot might be for sale, but the truck you’ve paid big bucks for sits waiting for a part, pull the part and get the person that has already paid, moving. Manufacturer’s need to be held accountable, that by proxy, makes the dealers accountable. Back in the day, a good dealer would take care of the customer, not sooo much today. And yes, some dealers would take a part off a new car to install on a customer’s car to get them going.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I definitely thought about that as I was going through DEF pump hell. I still have the delete kit and MM3 just in case. I travel long distances hauling animals and I did not want to get stuck somewhere trying to find an independent shop willing to work on my deleted truck in the event of an emergency. When one deletes, you are in effect married to the tuning company to troubleshoot ECU related issues. Many dealers will not work on deleted trucks for fear of being snagged by the Feds.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They changed the computer or did an update? Did they tell you exactly what they did?

Lynn Rodgers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
We have a 2015 2500....good thing we purchased the extended warranty when we bought it new. We have had to change ejectors and now the Def pump failed in February. The dealer got one in after a few weeks without our truck and it was bad out of the box. They said we can drive the truck, but about every ten days we have to bring it back to the dealership (120 miles round trip) to have the computer reset because it pops a code that we have 150 miles until the truck goes into a limp-home-mode (5 mph). We have an advocate from Ram and they called today with “Good News”.....the part should be available by the end of June.....that’s not what I call good news. We have a large fifth wheel and tow a boat behind it, plan to start camping in a couple weeks......better not go far from the dealership. We’re two years out from purchasing a new diesel and we thought we would buy another Ram because we are very happy with the towing performance.......sad to say we may have to consider something else.....very frustrating!

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
sad to say we may have to consider something else.....very frustrating!

When you find that "something else" please let me know, I'll want one. Both the Ford and GM solutions have basically the same emission systems including DEF pumps (check their respective forums, buckets of issues too). What is really needed is better quality emission parts that don't fail.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I went through DEF pump hell last year. It was on indefinite backorder. I finally found a new one on Ebay for a reasonable price, $800.00. I sent my original one to Cardone for a rebuild and keep it on the shelf just in case. Having a warranty is great but when the part the dealer needs to get you going is on indefinite backorder, that really doesn't help.

If you go the Ebay route look out for "used" or "pre-owned" pumps. If they are pulled out and left on a shelf for any length of time, the DEF in them dries out and the pump is no good. Yes, I bought one that was "refurbished" by a diesel shop. When it arrived there was still DEF in the pump and the pump was DOA. Many of these "refurbished" pumps are just pulls from wrecked vehicles. If it is not rebuilt by a professional rebuilding outfit like Cardone, I would pass on it. Cardone has the tools, parts and test jigs to properly rebuild a pump. I marked the case on mine before I sent it to them and I can see where they opened it to replace some part and re-potted it. When I received it back it did not smell like DEF inside or out. It took about 30 days from the day I sent it to the day I received back for the rebuild. I purchased the rebuild service through Rock Auto for about $450.

Last edited: