did i just waste $140?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo Brian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so, i decided to do a few quick easy mods on my 1500 i bought a little over a week ago. first is a catch can. i know they work. had one on my LS2 GTO and it filtered out a good amount of oil. also wanted to do an air intake. looking at the options, the vararam looked like it offered the best performance. so i ordered both yesterday. while bored at work, im poking around the DIY section and see the vararam install instructions (with broken pics :mad: ) and i notice a step where it says that you simply attach a breather onto the PCV line. WTF. does the vararam eliminate the need for a catch can by simply venting to atmosphere? of course, there is no mention of this in the vararam description on moes, where i ordered. so do i have a $140 paper weight now?

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, I have both the VaraRam and Catch Can installed, the breather is on the other side.

And yeah, it was a little bit of a guessing game on the instructions. I think since I bought mine from a forum member, mine was actually missing pieces that he didn't mention.

OP
OP
T

Turbo Brian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
whew. ok, i feel better now. the lack of pics in that thread here didnt help. so the vararam supplied breather goes on the driver's side then? the catch can goes on the pass side based on a youtube install vid i saw somewhere.

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not the best pic... but if you look towards the top of the vararam, a little to the right, you can see a little red air filter, right next to the brake fluid container. That is where the breather goes... same spot.

32159d1404844164t-oil_vent_air_grabber-air_breather.jpg

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I gotta ask, I have been considering one of these only because it claims to help the MPG.....do you guys see an increase that justify the cost of these.

OP
OP
T

Turbo Brian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you did cause yoi could of done the ebay catch can mod for a 1/4 the price :)
yeah, i did a home depot catch can on my GTO. used an air compressor line filter. considered doing that again but decided to just get the all-in-one and nice looking kit. guess i couldve checked ebay too as you said. oh well.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I gotta ask, I have been considering one of these only because it claims to help the MPG.....do you guys see an increase that justify the cost of these.

a catch can increasing mpg? absolutely not. i dont think ive seen one that claimed that either.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

We're discussing two things in this thread. Which of the two things are you referring to?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Question here.

With the Vararam, is it possible to use a catch can for both PCV sides? I would rather not vent my PCV lines.

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Not the best pic... but if you look towards the top of the vararam, a little to the right, you can see a little red air filter, right next to the brake fluid container. That is where the breather goes... same spot.

32159d1404844164t-oil_vent_air_grabber-air_breather.jpg

Man thats a good looking ride! :roflsquared:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question here.

With the Vararam, is it possible to use a catch can for both PCV sides? I would rather not vent my PCV lines.

I don't see why not. You mean one catch can and adding a hose and connector... or two catch cans?? Lol

Edit: Can someone please mount two or more catch cans to their truck, just to send the haters completely over the edge?! Lmao!

(Here is my new red one)

Attachments

• IMG_20140904_165705.jpg
    IMG_20140904_165705.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
David, that red can looks really nice under the hood.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't see why not. You mean one catch can and adding a hose and connector... or two catch cans?? Lol

Edit: Can someone please mount two or more catch cans to their truck, just to send the haters compleletly over the edge?! Lmao!

(Here is my new red one)

Kind of my thoughts...

You can do two catch cans, but I would rather just do one larger one and run two inlet hoses on it. Makes more sense.

I really don't understand the arguments against catch cans, but I certainly have seen some numbers that back up their use. I'll always use at least a PCV system if not a Catch Can on ALL my vehicles. Especially the boosted ones.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93