Did Redline Oil work against your Hemi Tick?

Did redline kill your hemi tick?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I changed to redline 5W20 after 135,000 miles just giving it a try after using PUP and the next day I started it I heard a lifter for about 5 seconds at start up for the first time ever. I'll continue to watch and listen. Not dissing it, just surprised!
That is not a diss at all, all honest experiences are welcome. And that is not rare either especially with high mileage rams. It is the reason I generally don't recommend redline with higher mileage rams that don't have tick. There could be many reasons for this, all would be a guess, but it's a thing. Generally speaking as the film populates this will go away. But, regardless 5w20 redline in an old ram is kind of a bold move, especially in nc I'd opt for 5w30.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
That is not a diss at all, all honest experiences are welcome. And that is not rare either especially with high mileage rams. It is the reason I generally don't recommend redline with higher mileage rams that don't have tick. There could be many reasons for this, all would be a guess, but it's a thing. Generally speaking as the film populates this will go away. But, regardless 5w20 redline in an old ram is kind of a bold move, especially in nc I'd opt for 5w30.
I'll give it a chance, will go back to PUP 5W20 if it continues. Thanks

mradDiction

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Day 4 in the books since Redline change no difference in engine noise yet, I will say sometimes I think it’s gotten louder. No where near 500 mile mark. I was going to take her on a road trip next week but I’m a touch nervous something might go wrong on the highway. I think something has gone wrong with my brain I’m borderline obsessing over this issue

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Take it on the road trip, that will be great for the plating effect if it will work on that ram. Nothing better for the plating of EP additives then a long trip. Being louder sometimes happens and is expected, the end result is what we are looking for. The fact it is louder tells us the issue is lifters imo, it at least suggests it.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I changed to redline 5W20 after 135,000 miles just giving it a try after using PUP and the next day I started it I heard a lifter for about 5 seconds at start up for the first time ever. I'll continue to watch and listen. Not dissing it, just surprised!
I've driven mine about 500 miles since I've changed oil and went with Redline. I do believe the one time I heard the lifter tick on start up was just a fluke, haven't heard it one time since and I've been putting it in worse case scenarios by setting overnight, starting it next day, run 30 seconds, turn off, setting overnight, run 30 seconds ect... several times. I'll be leaving Redline in till next 5000 mile oil change and decide whether to stay with it or PUP.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For whatever reason that is extremely common even in my truck. Once every 2 or 3 oil changes I will get this hell all tick just once after an oil change, and I have no earthy idea to the why. Maybe it is because I don't fill oil filter first, and I admit I kinda am stubborn about it.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
For whatever reason that is extremely common even in my truck. Once every 2 or 3 oil changes I will get this hell all tick just once after an oil change, and I have no earthy idea to the why. Maybe it is because I don't fill oil filter first, and I admit I kinda am stubborn about it.
I've always filled the filter first but it never did it before (lifter tap) but I assure you I'm not the least bit worried about it. It may never do it again!

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder if putting the hammer all the way down on first start thus spinning the engine w/o starting it can cure this. Every oil change I think I will try it. Maybe filter is full but some of the lines are empty. The times it has happened for me was always only the first start after an oil change, never other then this.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wonder if putting the hammer all the way down on first start thus spinning the engine w/o starting it can cure this. Every oil change I think I will try it. Maybe filter is full but some of the lines are empty. The times it has happened for me was always only the first start after an oil change, never other then this.
Yes, could have been that simple, a little air in it at just the right time on the weakest lifter. Odds! Lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I'd wager that's the cause. I'm so a*n*a*l I fill horizontal oil filters with oil prior to installation, let it sit and soak the oil into the media, pour the "loose" oil back into the jug, then install the horizontal mounted filter. This helps the new oil flow across the filter element "membrane" faster than letting it absorb oil from a dry start.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I've been reading this thread as an guest on ramforums about the hemi tic/exhaust manifold bolt issue and Red Line 5w30 oil. I'm am now member, lol.
My truck is a 2017 @ 38,694 miles and is still under the standard drive train warranty...my last oil change was last year on 11/20 and is 300 miles short of having 3000 miles on this oil (PP 5w20 / MOPAR oil filter).
I do my own oil changes at every 3000 miles, so this might have been helping to not development any of the hemi tic issue.
I think that that after reviewing the posts on this thread it would be an good idea for me to go ahead and start using Red Line 5w30 now as preventive maintenance.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've been reading this thread as an guest on ramforums about the hemi tic/exhaust manifold bolt issue and Red Line 5w30 oil. I'm am now member, lol.
My truck is a 2017 @ 38,694 miles and is still under the standard drive train warranty...my last oil change was last year on 11/20 and is 300 miles short of having 3000 miles on this oil (PP 5w20 / MOPAR oil filter).
I do my own oil changes at every 3000 miles, so this might have been helping to not development any of the hemi tic issue.
I think that that after reviewing the posts on this thread it would be an good idea for me to go ahead and start using Red Line 5w30 now as preventive maintenance.

I highly recommend, as a former Industrial Lubrication Engineer. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 with 6.4L with recommended oil PUP 0W-40. After thorough review of data and alternatives, much owing to this forum, I concurred with their recommendation of Red Line 5W-30, and have changed over this spring.

Due to the higher density of the base oil, I will switch out in winter up here in Minnesota to 0W-30. 0W-30 evaporates more and has lower high temperature film shear strength, so I don't recommend it during summer weather.

Attachments

• Red Line 5W-30 Case.jpg
    Red Line 5W-30 Case.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 5

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Also, I add to my comment my truck has frequent dry starts as it does sit alot since I've retired. The OEM oil filter is what I've been using and I will opt on using either RP as you folks or the Purolator Boss along with Red Line 5w30.
I didn't mean to intrude on this hemi tic thread, but I enjoy seeing the posted comments on the fantastic results you folks are having using Red Line oil ... I'll be using it as well, really soon
Thanks

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Just to help out you folks who are doing your own oil changes at home. I use an used/empty plastic half gallon Clorox bottle that I make an cut out for catching the oil from removing the oil filter. I place it under the oil filter above the front frame support and break loose the filter and let it drain into the oil collection pan. I bought an oil filler funnel with an on/off spout and tube at my local AutoZone that I can remove and attach just the on/off shut off with the tube to my plastic Clorox bottle and direct the oil into the pan without the oily mess all over the power steering assist boot/frame.
Hope this idea helps you folks out.IMG_20210726_154406579.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sadly the poll results are being taken over by fake pollsters, BITOG spawn have migrated here as we all know lately. The votes are public so you can see the results and the BITOG spawn fake votes. So at least future ram forum members can have this resource results before the fools fake polled. I have a good idea on who it is, someone seams to have an obsession and is making the forum dizzy with bogus info, a BITOG regular who is now embedded in ram forum creating drama and fake forum names.

Moving forward what difference does the poll results matter? At a minimum before the trolls started in the results are posted below.

50 votes that redline killed their tick, wow, good job forum.

22 votes redline made their tick substantially better, nice.

8 legit votes where redline did not kill the tick, so to those thanks for participating and sorry it didnt work out.

When I started this strategy I would have never thought that we could have helped that many ram forum members with hemi tick, pretty cool. So at a minimum the successful % before the fake posters start ruining the poll you have a 80-90% success rate with redline 5w30 at killing hemi tick. So it is a viable option to kill hemi tick and there is evidence with Hemi395 and rlk's long term uoa's that show wear drops with long term redline use. Even if was way less successful like 50/50 wouldn't it still be worth it for guys with hemi tick? And yet the numbers and forum members don't lie, I left the votes public so you can see the guys who have had their tick killed. And now we see some fakers crashing the party because they want attention or something.

So hopefully future ram forum members give this strategy a shot, something only found here, a cure for hemi tick. With how many people still have hemi tick with new cam and lifters, this strategy may be as good as it gets as far as being successful at killing tick. I still believe their are other answers for this we haven't found, someone will have to take the wheel on that, and I encourage some of you to consider that, especially guys who this didn't work. maybe something else will.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Also, I add to my comment my truck has frequent dry starts as it does sit alot since I've retired. The OEM oil filter is what I've been using and I will opt on using either RP as you folks or the Purolator Boss along with Red Line 5w30.
I didn't mean to intrude on this hemi tic thread, but I enjoy seeing the posted comments on the fantastic results you folks are having using Red Line oil ... I'll be using it as well, really soon
Thanks
welcome to ramily man, glad you found the info. It is really about science, there is a thread the syn oil thread that has more of the science on formula. It is an acquired taste thread, but some good info in there. Have trouble sleeping some night start reading that from the beginning.

tdeperte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a 2019 5.7 ticker in my Ram 1500. If it sits overnight or longer it will usually but not always get the startup ticking, which goes away after 10 seconds or so. I have 16000 miles and it has ticked from day one. Interesting read here in the forum about someone mentioning a hard tick at startup that occurred once after an oil change. Same thing happened to me several days after an oil change. I started the truck and thought I blew the motor it was ticking so hard and loud. Shut it off and was ok on restart.

I switched to Shell Rotella for gasoline engines from PUP in hopes of quieting or eliminating the tick without success. I'm going to try Redline at my next change and will report the results.

Thanks to Burla for starting this poll/thread and sticking with it through thick and thin!

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got a 2019 5.7 ticker in my Ram 1500. If it sits overnight or longer it will usually but not always get the startup ticking, which goes away after 10 seconds or so. I have 16000 miles and it has ticked from day one. Interesting read here in the forum about someone mentioning a hard tick at startup that occurred once after an oil change. Same thing happened to me several days after an oil change. I started the truck and thought I blew the motor it was ticking so hard and loud. Shut it off and was ok on restart.

I switched to Shell Rotella for gasoline engines from PUP in hopes of quieting or eliminating the tick without success. I'm going to try Redline at my next change and will report the results.

Thanks to Burla for starting this poll/thread and sticking with it through thick and thin!
Looking forward to results, and yes poll vote good or bad of it. Mind you it can take up to 500 miles plus for tick to go silent, which is the science behind it, but many do go silent right away.