Did you buy a Gasser or a Diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Ward

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 CCSB 4x4
Engine
6.4 gasser
Ddmac - what kind of mpg’s you getting with the new gasser? Particularly interested in highway since that is the majority of my 3,500 miles a month. I set the cruise on 74 and ride for an hour and half 4 times a week or so

OCBray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD HO
Traded a 2018 2500 6.4L for a 2019 3500 CTD. Towing our 5er with the 6.4 hemi. We had no issues with pulling. Getting gas with a fifth wheel attached every 200 miles was a PITA. The diesel gives us several options. Getting fuel in the commercial truck lanes. Don’t have worry about any clearance issues. Second option is to get an aux 50 gal fuel tank which will allow us to travel as far as we usually drive in a day before we have to get fuel.

Fuel cost is a wash. Betting mileage with the diesel and the cost difference between diesel and 89 oct minimum is close in cost per gallon. Maintenance cost with the interval difference is close to the same in the long run.

What it comes down to for everyone is what are your needs are and how often and at what weight are you going to tow.

Ddmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ddmac - what kind of mpg’s you getting with the new gasser? Particularly interested in highway since that is the majority of my 3,500 miles a month. I set the cruise on 74 and ride for an hour and half 4 times a week or so
Don’t have enough miles on it yet to tell. I am sure it will be no where near what my diesel was.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Hey guys - new member here, thanks for having me and letting me renew this thread. Saw on another thread a couple guys getting 18-20 mpg’s highway with the new 6.4 8 speed tranny. 2500, CC, 4x4. That is game changing mpg’s IMO. Anybody else getting these numbers?
Can't say for sure on the 19's but I get between 16-17 in my 2018 highway doing about 65. Doubt even a 2019 would get over 18 doing 74MPH. Slow it to 55-60 and you probably could.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought a gas truck. I wanted a Cummins, but the practical side of me won the day. Number one factor was cost. I could afford a Tradesman with the Cummins or a nice Bighorn with the Hemi. The other factor was repair costs on the Cummins were higher, mostly emissions related but with the poor history of the CP4 the idea of a $10k fuel system repair was unpalatable no matter how remote the possibility. Finally, reality was for my uses the 6.4 Hemi was more than enough. I’d say most of what I do a half ton truck would be just fine, but I do enough hauling with house hold chores, firewood, and camping I really needed a long bed. I also plan on a small travel trailer eventually. With Ram you still get a nice ride with the capacity of a 2500. I also like having a solid front axle.

The Hemi is a blast to drive with the 8 speed. I’m just hitting 1,000 miles and it’s looking like my hand calculated average is going to be around 13 MPG. The dash computer only seems slightly optimistic at 13.8 average and will show a high of 18 cruising at 65 on flat highway, Compared to my old 4Runner that got 16 and my Tacoma that got 14 I am happy. Our terrain kills gas mileage.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought a gas truck. I wanted a Cummins, but the practical side of me won the day. Number one factor was cost. I could afford a Tradesman with the Cummins or a nice Bighorn with the Hemi. The other factor was repair costs on the Cummins were higher, mostly emissions related but with the poor history of the CP4 the idea of a $10k fuel system repair was unpalatable no matter how remote the possibility. Finally, reality was for my uses the 6.4 Hemi was more than enough. I’d say most of what I do a half ton truck would be just fine, but I do enough hauling with house hold chores, firewood, and camping I really needed a long bed. I also plan on a small travel trailer eventually. With Ram you still get a nice ride with the capacity of a 2500. I also like having a solid front axle.

The Hemi is a blast to drive with the 8 speed. I’m just hitting 1,000 miles and it’s looking like my hand calculated average is going to be around 13 MPG. The dash computer only seems slightly optimistic at 13.8 average and will show a high of 18 cruising at 65 on flat highway, Compared to my old 4Runner that got 16 and my Tacoma that got 14 I am happy. Our terrain kills gas mileage.

8spd tranny closes the gap between diesel and gas even more. For me the gas versus diesel "divide" was towing close to 10K. Now it's more like 12-13K. Payload on a 3500 gas and diesel are nearly identical so it's really just pulling.

Diesel fans always dog on having to listen to gas engines "scream" but they really aren't that loud anymore. Not sure if it's cab soundproofing or just quieter engines but even at 4K my Hemi is not that loud. If/when I upgrade my 2014 Hemi 2500 (and POS 6spd tranny) I'm thinking the Hemi w/8spd in a 3500 would be pretty nice.

I've owned both gas and diesel and fully get both sides of the debate. I could see myself in either.

Ed Ross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just picked up a 2019 Gasser. Great end of the year deals on the 6.7, but still 10k more than what I wanted to spend and just don't need it. This also meant great deals on the 6.4. It was tempting though. I only pull a 7700 lb GVWR (4222 dry) 23ft long travel trailer, but do plan on getting a fifth wheel later around 11k lbs. It's a DD so fuel economy was primary. Towing is secondary and only a few times a year. My first HD...tired of light duty trucks that struggle towing. Manufacturer claims on those trucks are just what they are...claims, not real world.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins - Didn't really need it but I was in the market for something bigger than my half ton quad cab, and it came down to this lightly used 2017 or a new 2018 with the 6.4. The Cummins was actually a little cheaper. Either truck would have suited my needs but I chose the Cummins for 3 reasons.

A) I know me and big tires and heavy bumpers were probably in the future, so I felt like the Cummins wouldn't be impacted as much.
2) Resale value
D) I wanted it

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Cummins - Didn't really need it but I was in the market for something bigger than my half ton quad cab, and it came down to this lightly used 2017 or a new 2018 with the 6.4. The Cummins was actually a little cheaper. Either truck would have suited my needs but I chose the Cummins for 3 reasons.

A) I know me and big tires and heavy bumpers were probably in the future, so I felt like the Cummins wouldn't be impacted as much.
2) Resale value
D) I wanted it

Yep- if you want it get it and to hell with everybody else.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just traded a 2013 CTD Crew Cab for my 2020 Mega Cab 6.4. Haven't had the chance to hook up the camper yet but I ordered it with the 4.10's so I think it will do fine. I only tow it a handful of times a year so I didn't think we really needed the Cummins anymore. The truck is my DD so I wanted something I didn't have to worry about plugging in or treating the fuel all winter. Already had a few issues with the DEF system in the '13 so that was always a constant worry in the back of my mind. That combined with Cummins decision to go with the CP4 pump in 19 made the decision a little easier. I'd rather give it a few years to see how that's gonna work out rather than be their guinea pig.

Only 2 things I miss so far, that low end torque on take off and the exhaust brake. Wish there was a way you could make an EB work on a Gas motor..

Smitty2495

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to Ram (1st since 1986) I went with 6.4 because I don’t tow or haul enough to justify 9-11 K (HO) The cost of Fuel plus some fleet managers saying new diesel fuel shortening engine life also contributed to choice. 15.2 MPH ave

ticat928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Based on 3500 miles per month driving at 74 mph the fuel savings provided by a CTD would equal the difference in purchase price in less than 3 years.

That is without resale or maintenance cost being taken into account

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the Cummins. It’s my second one. The only reason why I would have a diesel is because I tow a heavy fifth wheel. Honestly, if I wasn’t towing, or towed below 6,000 lbs, I would be in a half ton. Some people just love diesels for whatever reason. To me it’s a waste of money if not needed. I’d rather have a more comfortable ride and save money. Still get all the same creature comforts as before but with an extra $10-$15k in your pocket.

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am curious to know what everyone decided to buy when buying a new truck, gas or diesel and why? I have a 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel myself and love it, I have heard good things about the 6.4 Hemi .
Bought a new 6.4 Hemi in 2015, been a great truck, even though I only have 28,000 miles on it in 5 years. Trading it for a 19 2500 Limited 6.7 as soon as it gets out of Recall jail!
The Hemi pulled my 10,000 lb toy hauler very well, but lovin the new interior so I thought I’d see just what the Cummins will do!

Jeff Ward

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 CCSB 4x4
Engine
6.4 gasser
Based on 3500 miles per month driving at 74 mph the fuel savings provided by a CTD would equal the difference in purchase price in less than 3 years.

That is without resale or maintenance cost being taken into account

Unfortunately around here diesel runs anywhere from .50 - .75 cents more per gallon so its about a wash or cheaper to go with gas. Add on all the maintenance issues, DEF fluid, etc and I'm thinking the new 6.4/8 speed combo is a winner for me...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What are all the maintenance issues?
He must be talking about having to crawl under the truck to change the fuel filters, something gassers have inside the fuel tank. It certainly ain't having to change 16 spark plugs.. D'oh
Do you think he knows the OCI on a CTD is 15K miles?
:-D