DIY 5.0 to 8.4 Navigation upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Did any one start that thread yet?
I don't think so. Adding a spot for part nunbers would possibly be a good tool to start figuring out if this issue is tied to certain radios or not.

I have yet to see any issues pop up with my radio and 15.26.1.

-JT

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't think so. Adding a spot for part nunbers would possibly be a good tool to start figuring out if this issue is tied to certain radios or not.

I have yet to see any issues pop up with my radio and 15.26.1.

-JT
The 15.26.1 firmware is a lot more buggy for me. Especially the USB audio. It is much slower to load and freezes when switching from another audio source to USB.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
The 15.26.1 firmware is a lot more buggy for me. Especially the USB audio. It is much slower to load and freezes when switching from another audio source to USB.

I couldnt tell any difference on mine from the old version. They need to make one, good, stable version and quit jacking with it.

-JT

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
14.25.5 was it for me. I'm hedging on rolling back regardless of the security concerns.

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
Got my replacement harness from Cuyler today, along with Schram got my the correct bezel without dual climate. Everything works perfect now, A/C is cold and my auto headlights worked like a charm.

Cuyler was very helpful through this whole process for me and wanted to help any way possible, no questions asked sent me a new harness. I'd definitely use him again

Sounds like I should maybe hold off on firmware upgrades based on this thread...everything seems to be working fine for me..

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
14.25.5 was it for me. I'm hedging on rolling back regardless of the security concerns.

I still have the 14.25.5 firmware on my U.S.B stick. I was wanting to flash that firmware back into my radio after the Nav issue plus my volume seems to fluctuate sometimes. I haven't been able to find out for sure if you can go back or not after you have flashed to a later version. It actualy works ok now except for the volume thing and I don't want to brick my radio. The 14.25 5 worked great.....shoulda left it alone.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my replacement harness from Cuyler today, along with Schram got my the correct bezel without dual climate. Everything works perfect now, A/C is cold and my auto headlights worked like a charm.

Cuyler was very helpful through this whole process for me and wanted to help any way possible, no questions asked sent me a new harness. I'd definitely use him again

Sounds like I should maybe hold off on firmware upgrades based on this thread...everything seems to be working fine for me..
I'm so glad everything worked out for ya , I'd hate for people to get cold feet on upgrading to the 8.4" just because of a couple set backs !

Good to hear CuylerTech was so helpful and his harness worked perfectly for you! The harness connection could be HUGE for members here and those abroad once CuylerTech gets it set up and rolling , seems to be endless kits and mods that require a harness , connectors , relays among other things !

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nav?

Does nav software come to dealer via computer then installed by thumb drive?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not sure. When I updated my maps it came on a U.S.B stick like the firmware. I doupt the dealer would have it. Had to have a special code to install the maps.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
15.26.1 is flashed and showing on my system info.

Guess I really screwed up, did the reset thing, now I don't have a NAV button or XM!!!!!!!!

Hope the dealer tech can help me out next week.

I dowloaded the the above update myself just to see if a reload would do any good but it doesn't recognize the usb when I put it in?? Don't know if that's because the version is already installed or what.

I think the update wiped out the Nav software. In settings there is no NAV Server and no Database Ver....it was that way before I did the reset and a reset did nothing for the NAV except wipe out the nav button on the bottom of the screen. Darn, darn, darn!
I have been skimming this thread but are you sure that you had a ra4 and not a ra3 with navigation activated? I only ask because if you go through the engineering menu and do a factory reset it will clear the added navigation.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi

If you mean when they add it to the Ra3, all the software is already in the radio, you just need an activation code. There are third party companies even selling them including Navrepair.com.

The RA4 radios have the Nav enabled and working from the factory.

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same thing happened to my ra4. Updated to the same firmware version as you and my nav just kept saying it was activating. Did a hard reset and lost nav and sxm. Send the radio back for a refund.

That's what I've decided to do. Got another one on the way, and you can bet if it's working, I won't be upgrading it!!!!

Any one who's done the mod, it's not worth the risk for the few improvements the new software gives you, my opinion of course!!:roflsquared:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
That's what I've decided to do. Got another one on the way, and you can bet if it's working, I won't be upgrading it!!!!

Any one who's done the mod, it's not worth the risk for the few improvements the new software gives you, my opinion of course!!:roflsquared:

I agree if it works don' break it. As far as the security update, that seems to be the one that is the riskiest. That said I would recommend updating an actual 13 or 14 radio to 14.25.05 if it has less than that, if you can get a copy, as this seems to be the most stable and fastest firmware they have put out for the 8.4AN. I would not go past that one on a 13 or 14 radio.

I bought 15 from Jared4.7 and he had updated it to the latest firmware for a 15 before the security update came out and it works great so not going to put the security update or any future updates in it unless I absolutely have to.

An my main reason why I will not upgrade is Pandora and Slacker work on mine for some reason, and If I upgrade its possible I will loose them. I really like XM for the most part however where I live there are a lot of large overhanging trees on the secondary roads and XM is constantly cutting in and out, does it on my car and the wife's car as well. With Slacker and Pandora there is none of that, also the data usage on my plan is a non issue. We have 10 gig a month and barely use 1 gig a month between us.

Last edited:

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree if it works don' break it. As far as the security update, that seems to be the one that is the riskiest. That said I would recommend updating an actual 13 or 14 radio to 14.25.05 if it has less than that, if you can get a copy, as this seems to be the most stable and fastest firmware they have put out for the 8.4AN. I would not go past that one on a 13 or 14 radio.

I bought 15 from Jared4.7 and he had updated it to the latest firmware for a 15 before the security update came out and it works great so not going to put the security update or any future updates in it unless I absolutely have to.

An my main reason why I will not upgrade is Pandora and Slacker work on mine for some reason, and If I upgrade its possible I will loose them. I really like XM for the most part however where I live there are a lot of large overhanging trees on the secondary roads and XM is constantly cutting in and out, does it on my car and the wife's car as well. With Slacker and Pandora there is none of that, also the data usage on my plan is a non issue. We have 10 gig a month and barely use 1 gig a month between us.

I'll see what this one comes with...I do have a copy of the 14.25.5....but I'm hesitant about doing any upgrade.....???????:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not heard of any problems with the 14 25.5. For the 2013-14. I had it before I went to the latest version and it's the best my unit ever worked. I am considering trying to re install it but like everyone else don't want yo brick my radio. Especially after spending 150.00 to update the maps.

redintex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So, I am confused (not a shocking revelation, but I digress). I have what is supposed to be a 15 RA4 radio. I think it is, as it has the HD Radio icon that activates when on an HD station. I have also seen the "tag" soft key for artist on xm, and it has different themes. I have not asleep album art, but am unsure if that is on media streaming only, fm, xm, or just what. That at be ignorance on my part, but I will own that!
A couple of questions: where is the album art supposed to show up?
More importantly, I tried to update and it told me the update was incompatible with my radio. The firmware shows as 13.44. I would have thought that a 15 would have at least 14 firmware, no? The nav and everything works fine on the radio, so I am not looking to ditch the radio - I just want to confirm what I have!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, I am confused (not a shocking revelation, but I digress). I have what is supposed to be a 15 RA4 radio. I think it is, as it has the HD Radio icon that activates when on an HD station. I have also seen the "tag" soft key for artist on xm, and it has different themes. I have not asleep album art, but am unsure if that is on media streaming only, fm, xm, or just what. That at be ignorance on my part, but I will own that!
A couple of questions: where is the album art supposed to show up?
More importantly, I tried to update and it told me the update was incompatible with my radio. The firmware shows as 13.44. I would have thought that a 15 would have at least 14 firmware, no? The nav and everything works fine on the radio, so I am not looking to ditch the radio - I just want to confirm what I have!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Are you sure you are trying to update with 2015 software?

Status
Not open for further replies.