DIY: Rear Seat Flip Down Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok as it turns out this has already been figured out by member 2013Ram1500 in this thread: http://www.ramforum.com/f42/flip_down_rear_seats_done-44805/ He used about 3/4" worth of washers under each seat bolt, raising the seat enough that the hook that holds the back in place can clear and tilt forward when the bottom seat cushion is raised.

I just went to home depot and used their little measurement thing for the bolts to see what size it was. Then I grabbed some washers from the drawers and measured them on the ruler they had and 7 of them was about 3/4" so 7x8=56 total washers that I used. Hope that helps, they come in little packs of 5 for just a tad less than a dollar so in total I think I spent like $8 or so

tuffdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new to forum. just did this mod. great write up. im only putting in one amp on the driver side, so no need to do both sides. grate mod thanks

Q-ball814

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So one could use 3/4 mdf wrapped in mating carpet to hide it completely? In a 4th gen that is!

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So one could use 3/4 mdf wrapped in mating carpet to hide it completely? In a 4th gen that is!
Yes that would work, although I'd worry about the MDF compressing when you tighten the seat bolts back down, or people using the seats would compress it, either way the seats might start to rock. Also the spacers really aren't visible. Only a Ram tech who'd taken the seats out before would see them.

tucansam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 SXT
Engine
4.7L
Has anyone had a passenger in the back seat, after this mod, during a traffic accident? God forbid, but I don't want to change the safety aspects of the seatbelts and seat mounts. Does this mod add risk at all?

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no risk if you cut the tab not lower hook or lift seat
Then you have the same contact area

Last edited:

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Awesome. I've been wondering about this myself. I didn't realize it would be this easy.

Hylander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did this Mod to my 07, Simple and works perfect.
I also removed the sound board and hear no extra road noise.
I will be installing 1/4" sound matting though.
Nice to have a little extra storage space.