Do you like power deployable running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I see a ton of them stuck down up here in northern mn.
If you keep them clean and spray the hinges once a month with lithium grease lube or even wd40, they won't stick open. We get a ton of snow, ice, mud and they use lots of salt. Never had a problem and u rarely see any stuck down on trucks moving. You do see a lot deployed in parking lots to keep other vehicles from dinging your doors. I do it with mine.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
must be the lazy ******** who don't take care of them then. good to know. might spring for a pair on my new wagon.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You do see a lot deployed in parking lots to keep other vehicles from dinging your doors. I do it with mine.
I do this too. Raise suspension to OR2 and deploy the steps. Works great, especially at work. Most of my co-workers drive lower profile cars, so their doors will hit the steps if they aren't paying attention.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys & gals, been awhile since being on here. I have gone through 2 winters with my 2019 and deployable steps. No issues with the steps but zero protection for underside of truck. My rear fender flares have been repainted twice under warranty and the truck is going in on Monday to have them repaired again. I just ordered wheel to wheel from dealer and I'll be selling the power steps. Looks great, functionality great, but absolutely zero protection for rockers and fender flares. I've checked trucks with power steps and no fender flares and there's no issues.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Hi guys & gals, been awhile since being on here. I have gone through 2 winters with my 2019 and deployable steps. No issues with the steps but zero protection for underside of truck. My rear fender flares have been repainted twice under warranty and the truck is going in on Monday to have them repaired again. I just ordered wheel to wheel from dealer and I'll be selling the power steps. Looks great, functionality great, but absolutely zero protection for rockers and fender flares. I've checked trucks with power steps and no fender flares and there's no issues.
you could just remove the flairs and keep the steps lol

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found a RAM truck that I like but that has power deployable running boards. I inquired about swapping the power running boards for the Mopar wheel-to-wheel length stationary running boards. The dealer kindly offered to order the stationary boards for me and even do the swap, but unfortunately they will charge me full price, plus labor, and not buy back or give any discount for me leaving the power running boards with them. The removed power boards would essentially still be mine.

I have never owned a truck with power deployable running boards, but I have been around them and of course ridden in vehicles with them. I'm initially not a fan. Here are reasons why.

1. They are one more moving part that can break.
2. They do not offer protection on the rocker panel or lower door exteriors when in stowed position.
3. I have small kids. When my daughter was two she put her hand on my step-mom's power deployable step bar when it was out and someone closed the door which made the board retract and my daughters hand got caught in it. She did not get hurt or even pinched, but her hand was definitely caught and it scared her as well my wife and I. Our daughter is 8 now, but we have a 9 month old so we're still in the same boat of having small kids around those robot running boards.

Reasons I like the fixed wheel-to-wheel boards.

1. They provide rocker panel and some lower door protection against rocks and chips.
2. You can stand on them when washing the vehicle to reach the wind shield and roof without having to open a door to make a power deployable come out to stand on it. (I'm sure you can program the power running board to stay out if you close the door to wash the roof and whatnot. That way you can keep the door closed so you don't get water in the truck. ) But that's a chore every time you wash the truck to make sure the settings are right.
3. And lastly, I wanted the wheel-to wheel length running board because often enough something in the bed of the truck is near the front bed wall and right in the middle left and right. I'd like a long running board to be able to stand on and reach into that hard to reach spot.

So can anyone tell me if they didn't like power deployable boards at first and then they grew on them? Do you prefer them now?

Or

How simple and likely would it be for me to sell power deployable running boards that were removed from a new Ram 2500? And then I would just install some NFAb's or Mopar stationary running boards myself.

I'm on my 2nd Ram with power running boards and you couldn't pay me enough money to go back to the old fixed running boards . I will never purchase another truck without the power running boards or if I have to I'll have after market ones installed if I can't get a truck with them from the factory!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I'm on my 2nd Ram with power running boards and you couldn't pay me enough money to go back to the old fixed running boards . I will never purchase another truck without the power running boards or if I have to I'll have after market ones installed if I can't get a truck with them from the factory!
I agree, but I will also say, I would get OEM and have them installed. They are far better boards than the after market ones I have seen.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I agree, but I will also say, I would get OEM and have them installed. They are far better boards than the after market ones I have seen.
No way you can honestly say that the OEM power boards are better than RBPs Stealth Power Running Boards or the AMP steps lol ..seriously dude

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
No way you can honestly say that the OEM power boards are better than RBPs Stealth Power Running Boards or the AMP steps lol ..seriously dude
Never had RBPs but I for sure can say they kick AMPs butt, DUDE.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Never had RBPs but I for sure can say they kick AMPs butt, DUDE.
Lol .... I will never buy AMP steps myself, but I sure the hell wouldn't pay for the OEM ones either ...

AMP says they have greatly improved their steps and corrected all the fitment issues especially on RAM trucks ... I seriously doubt it ...and RBP steps have been on back order for RAM trucks for over a year and I don't think they are actually going to continue making them ... Kelleigh Ash the Vice President for RBP was fired and is now with Belltech suspensions as the marketing director lol ... that lady really screwed up RBP to tell you the truth, but she did something right with the RBP steps ....

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got Amps on my '09. They were the only ones that would come down far enough for the wife and not take up all my ground clearance. Over four years now and they still work great.

From what I've read, Amp Research invented the power steps and licensed them out to various manufacturers. Admittedly, that doesn't make them the "best", but as with most anecdotal "evidence", it goes to experience. If you had a bad time with them before, you're not likely to buy them again. If I got a new full size truck, I'd have no hesitation at all of putting another set of Amps on it.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is why I don't like them. Love the concept but no protection. Getting new flares for the third time under warranty next week. A local guy is going to 3M them for me where the problem area is. FCA won't cover the tape, go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_5894.jpeg
    IMG_5894.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 21

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Like mine for the same reason as @Wahrsuul, makes getting out of the truck so much easier for my wife, they come out farther so her foot can find them stepping down, the nerf bars just didn't come out far enough for her to easily find them. I'll put them on my next truck without question.

GoofyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I like the clean look of the power running boards, I have had the running boards that are just bolted on and I have slipped off them. My Big Horn did not come with running board so I added them.

Miles777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 litre
My 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn did not come with any running boards and the step up into the cab was a bit too much for my wife.

After comparing aftermarket alternatives and getting installation quotes from a couple of 4x4 specialty stores, I realized having the dealer install OEM power steps was my cheapest and best option. I like the clean look and they work well for my wife. I did have to go back to the dealer about a month later for an adjustment when one side stopped extending properly, but they've now been working fine for months. A plus is that the dealer bundled them into the OEM standard new truck warranty.

When I was elk hunting this October on rough, narrow forest trails at 8,000 ft elevation in northern Arizona, I would have scraped fixed tube steps on trail-side logs and upcropping rocks. These retractable steps escaped unscathed. I like having the option to disable automatic extension to make exiting the truck quieter when parking at the end of a 4x4 trail at 5:30 AM to climb towards the even higher country where the elk were bedded down.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've taken a look at the RBP's, and have a couple of concerns about them. First, they don't look like they sit as low as OEM power steps when deployed. They appear to sit about the same height as many fixed steps. Second, they don't look as solid when you step on them. In their video, every one of them drops a little when stepped on. My OEM's deploy lower, which make them easier for shorter people to use. And they're more solid when using them. However, I'm only judging them by their own video. I might feel differently if I was to actually use them. But if given a choice between the two, I'd go with OEM.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I've taken a look at the RBP's, and have a couple of concerns about them. First, they don't look like they sit as low as OEM power steps when deployed. They appear to sit about the same height as many fixed steps. Second, they don't look as solid when you step on them. In their video, every one of them drops a little when stepped on. My OEM's deploy lower, which make them easier for shorter people to use. And they're more solid when using them. However, I'm only judging them by their own video. I might feel differently if I was to actually use them. But if given a choice between the two, I'd go with OEM.

They are actually stronger than the other steps out there ... they have 2 motors and actually have an extended drop version for all steps of an extra 3" ...

I have had mine for over a year now and not one single problem with them .... the finish is actually still almost like new, I have had several people close to 300 lbs stand on them and they have been surprised of how sturdy they are ....the mounting points have never gotten lose and I know because I always check everything on my truck to make sure everything is tight ...

But to each their own .... AMP has been around for a lot longer and they actually make MOPAR power boards they just don't brand them, I have however seen a few AMPs installed at the dealership and they designated them as MOPAR but have the AMP logo on them ....

If AMP actually did something about their motors and the fitment issues "I" would have no problem with them, but over the years they have had their share of problems but that is just like with every other brand of product out there ...I am sure at some point now that the RBP steps have been out for 2 years and change they will end up with bad reviews and complaints about them out there ...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They are actually stronger than the other steps out there ... they have 2 motors and actually have an extended drop version for all steps of an extra 3" ...

I have had mine for over a year now and not one single problem with them .... the finish is actually still almost like new, I have had several people close to 300 lbs stand on them and they have been surprised of how sturdy they are ....the mounting points have never gotten lose and I know because I always check everything on my truck to make sure everything is tight ...

But to each their own .... AMP has been around for a lot longer and they actually make MOPAR power boards they just don't brand them, I have however seen a few AMPs installed at the dealership and they designated them as MOPAR but have the AMP logo on them ....

If AMP actually did something about their motors and the fitment issues "I" would have no problem with them, but over the years they have had their share of problems but that is just like with every other brand of product out there ...I am sure at some point now that the RBP steps have been out for 2 years and change they will end up with bad reviews and complaints about them out there ...

That's good to know about them being stronger than they look. I was only going by the video. And in that video, every one of them flex a bit when the person steps on them. I'm a little skeptical about them being the strongest, but again, I haven't used the RBP steps.

I've read conflicting claims on who makes the power steps for Mopar. Some claim they are made by AMP, and others claim they are a different design. I don't know which is true, and I really don't care. My current truck came with the Mopar steps, and I'm very happy with them. They sit at a perfect height, and are very solid feeling. I weigh about 225 lbs and there is no bounce at all. In fact, they feel more solid than some fixed step tubes I've owned.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3rd set of rear fender flares installed today, truck is only 2.5 years. Just ordered wheel to wheel steps. My OEM power steps will be up for sale in a couple of weeks. I'll be in Ontario until end of January. Need rid of ASAP.