Does anyone NOT modify their Rams and keep them stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LowboyKW

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT Quad Cab
Engine
3.6 24VVT
I feel like I’m in the minority keeping my 2019 stock. Well, full disclosure.. I did put on Husky mud guards, got the little Ram emblem dial shift cover and a couple of US flag stickers on each side after seeing the Built to Serve editions with the same. But otherwise, I’m very satisfied with the stock look and performance. I don’t off road at all, Don’t tow much other than our church trailer (before the church closed) .. otherwise, this is my daily driver. And yet, reading through the mod sections, I feel like I’m missing out by not modding it. Funny! Thoughts?
Stock works for me. Does what I need it to do.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I had wheels, tires, and liftkit ordered before I even bought it :)

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
One of the nicest benefits of owning a truck is that you can modify it, and easily too. I never leave mine untouched. Though do a lot less these days than years before. My current RAM so far only has a bed cover, and a Tazer DT. Not sure what to do next. I prefer functional mods, not cosmetic.

For functional mods I highly suggest the tailgate assist, bully stainless flush mount stake pocket anchors, homelink garage door opener (if needed), and fold flat floor (if you don't have it) all come in very handy when needed.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine are stock the last few yrs , 2005 I changed the grill, but that was the last time.
I have put covers on the boxes, Thinking about a tailgate assist, but that is not modifying.
I just remembered, just to be different from the young crowd, I added chrome/ stainless steel pillar covers instead of the black.

Last edited:

14Deebo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines all stock except for the things I didn't like..:Dexhaust, tail pipes,tailgate flopping down, window tint, tail lights, hologen bulbs, ridiculous antenna,tailgate light bar, window vents ,air filter, tonneau cover, ladder rack,speakers, tires. Im sure theres more to come.
Mines is all stock, except for the things that aren't. Lol

DSwan7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Regular cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
4.7 Litre V8
I have a 2010 Ram 4.7L 4x4 regular cab SLT, that I bought new off the lot in 2010. Original wheels. The only mods are a Redtop battery, tailgate lift assist, dash cam, and Bilstein shocks. She runs like new. The only thing I need to do this year is remove the factory skid plates and repaint them.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought an '07 model in the first week of January 2019 and have left everything as is, which was a stock Laramie with the chrome package. I just bought two new tires but kept stock size.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added running boards to make it easier to get into the truck, and weathertec floor mats to protect the floor.

That's about it.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
I will never understand why people tear off good OEM parts to replace them with expensive items. I have the same stock exhaust stainless after 12 years. Why would anyone tear off such a system to replace with dual exhaust and waste a perfectly good stainless OEM that outlasts any other non OEM system? I have aluminum running boards that assist elderly people to get into my high 2500 and they double as gravel guards so effectively that there are NO rust spots or dings on the lower doors or lower box. Another set of alloy rims for winter that are alloy so I can install winters easily. Mud flaps on back. New rear bumper being fabricated and a heavier stronger tow hitch. Helper springs on rear. Stainless front deer guard. Pencil beam auxiliary front lights for long distance vision ahead at night. That is it and almost all of those items are Dodge items. All are installed for practical use and each have an added function for utility use.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Because they can... :)

I wore my front end out but right after that replaced all parts with greasable after market quality front end parts that will last decades long as I grease them regularly. I hate the disposable parts on most vehicles now instead of the ones that could be serviced and lasted years and years. The first ones to be dumped in favor of non serviceable parts were any that had grease fittings. This is a money saving tactic for the manufacturer in production but also a money producing tactic to rake in dollars for new parts throughout the life of the vehicle. To counteract this I will keep my truck forever and never buy another. It is 13 years old now with 321,000 km on it and I expect it to last another ten years at least or longer.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I will never understand why people tear off good OEM parts to replace them with expensive items. I have the same stock exhaust stainless after 12 years. Why would anyone tear off such a system to replace with dual exhaust and waste a perfectly good stainless OEM that outlasts any other non OEM system?

Sounds like the opposite of me. One of the first mods I did on my 2020 was tear off that factory muffler. I don't want an obnoxiously loud truck, but I like to be able to hear it when I hit the go pedal. And I'm sure my aftermarket muffler, made from 409 stainless steel, will last just as long or longer than the stock muffler would have lasted. But longevity wasn't the point. I wanted to change the sound. I honestly couldn't care less how long the muffler lasts. As long as it can make it for 3 years it's up to the next owner to decide if they want to replace it or not, since I buy a new vehicle every 2 to 3 years. I know that's not being frugal, but I can afford it at this point in my life.

I'm honestly glad you're happy with your truck and the original exhaust it possesses. And it's honorable (for lack of a better word) that you have decided to keep it forever. But that's you, and your decision. And it's no reason to judge those of us who would rather upgrade from "good OEM parts" to something that puts a smile on our faces. ;)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I no longer modify hardly at all. My ride mostly does grocery runs, pull trailer for hay and such. Not doing real hard towing, racing., etc. And if my Intention would be to do hard off-road, I would get a big Rebel or Power Wagon, lifted, etc etc. But then I am not a 20 something ne more, LOL. However, I do cosmetic mods, such as interior lighting, mats, flaps, etc.,. The only engine mod I did was pull stock air filter and put in a AEM.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the opposite of me. One of the first mods I did on my 2020 was tear off that factory muffler. I don't want an obnoxiously loud truck, but I like to be able to hear it when I hit the go pedal. And I'm sure my aftermarket muffler, made from 409 stainless steel, will last just as long or longer than the stock muffler would have lasted. But longevity wasn't the point. I wanted to change the sound. I honestly couldn't care less how long the muffler lasts. As long as it can make it for 3 years it's up to the next owner to decide if they want to replace it or not, since I buy a new vehicle every 2 to 3 years. I know that's not being frugal, but I can afford it at this point in my life.

I'm honestly glad you're happy with your truck and the original exhaust it possesses. And it's honorable (for lack of a better word) that you have decided to keep it forever. But that's you, and your decision. And it's no reason to judge those of us who would rather upgrade from "good OEM parts" to something that puts a smile on our faces. ;)

I agree with both of you. I never understood people ripping off their entire exhaust on a brand new truck to put a brand new catback on it, when all they wanted or cared about was a sound change. Just swap out the muffler for a fraction of the price and avoid a lot of waste, which it sounds like the route that you take as well by the sounds of it?

I also don't keep my trucks for too long so am not concerned about muffler longevity.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I agree with both of you. I never understood people ripping off their entire exhaust on a brand new truck to put a brand new catback on it, when all they wanted or cared about was a sound change. Just swap out the muffler for a fraction of the price and avoid a lot of waste, which it sounds like the route that you take as well by the sounds of it?

I also don't keep my trucks for too long so am not concerned about muffler longevity.
That's exactly what I did, muffler only. Was thinking about replacing the y-pipe after reading about how restrictive it is, but probably won't ever do that LOL. The level of power it has is fine for it's use as a daily driver.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small

I did because I wanted the new muffler, new 5" tips, and no resonators.
Looked cleaner to me anyway.

20190511_143225.jpg

20190511_143215.jpg

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's exactly what I did, muffler only. Was thinking about replacing the y-pipe after reading about how restrictive it is, but probably won't ever do that LOL. The level of power it has is fine for it's use as a daily driver.

Yep same here, all I wanted was a better sound and I could usually achieve a muffler swap for around $150 all said and done.

I did because I wanted the new muffler, new 5" tips, and no resonators.
Looked cleaner to me anyway.

View attachment 204845

View attachment 204846

Looks great! I forgot to mention I also always add the 5" tips as well cause they do look so much better. I've thought about going without resonators but have always ended up leaving them on.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yep same here, all I wanted was a better sound and I could usually achieve a muffler swap for around $150 all said and done.

Looks great! I forgot to mention I also always add the 5" tips as well cause they do look so much better. I've thought about going without resonators but have always ended up leaving them on.
yup, if I seriously had it all over again, Id leave stock mufflers and just do 5" tips...even leave resonators on. After Charger, I felt I "needed" exhaust again...no way this Ram will ever cold start like a 392....LOL

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup, if I seriously had it all over again, Id leave stock mufflers and just do 5" tips...even leave resonators on. After Charger, I felt I "needed" exhaust again...no way this Ram will ever cold start like a 392....LOL

Yeah I think my next truck I'm finally at the point of leaving the muffler stock and adding the 5" tips. Ideally I'd love to run a cutout so I could have stock sound or very aggressive, but I fear how the cutout would hold up to our winters up here.

I bet that 392 sounded real nice on all starts, and especially the cold starts!

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always try and fight the mod bug...but the bug always wins. I don’t think I could stay without at least a level, loud exhaust and 35’s. Truck looks soooooo much better that way. We’ll see what happens when I jump up to a 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro