Does the engine cover fit after S&B CAI install on 13 Express? HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lrydbom15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Big Horn, but my eng cover fits up fine. You have to install it before putting the intake tube on though...

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen several members' pics that show their s&b and engine cover

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

OP
OP
S

SCMortgageMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
I should have asked before I put intake tube back on and took it for a test drive. Oh well, I will install the engine cover this weekend when I put on my exhaust.

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
S

SCMortgageMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
One other quick thing, did you guys have a small hole in the two corners closet to the engine (not on the two corners against the side of truck)?

I couldn't figure out what those were and wasn't sure if they were maybe there for drainage or something??

lrydbom15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One other quick thing, did you guys have a small hole in the two corners closet to the engine (not on the two corners against the side of truck)?

I couldn't figure out what those were and wasn't sure if they were maybe there for drainage or something??

I don't recall the two holes. I'll have to poke my head under the hood and see what they might be.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Are you talking about at the bottom of the S&B air box?

Last edited:

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I installed the BT catch can and initially struggled getting the cover back on. It was getting dark and I had a hard time lining up the back two grommets and holding a flash light at the same time. But once I got those aligned it was just push down on the front and snap those back in.

OP
OP
S

SCMortgageMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Yes, there are four holes in the bottom. Two of them have bolts that run down in to the fender well where they are held on with washer and lock nut.

The other two holes (one in each of the corners closest to the engine) are the ones in question.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, there are four holes in the bottom. Two of them have bolts that run down in to the fender well where they are held on with washer and lock nut.

The other two holes (one in each of the corners closest to the engine) are the ones in question.

I noticed those two unused holes too. They were unmentioned in the instructions. I closed each of them with a bolt, washer and nut.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I'm assuming you mean a gap?

There are four round holes for fastners (screws/bolts) that I hope you are not referring to.

The plexiglass in not a perfect contour match with the CAI, but so close it just doesn't matter. You're not going to draw a lot of heat in if you have a little holiday or two there and its before the filter so no damage to the engine from anything that might enter there. Other members worried about unsued bolt holes.

Some of the more OCD members with S&Bs have added black RTV (mechanic's caulk) for total sealing, or tightened a bolt into them, but I think RTV is going to be messy and make cleaning the filter difficult and bolts will just come lose over time.

And yes, the engine cover fits fine with an S&B if you install it before you tighten the intake tube to the Throttle Body. See link to picture below.

http://www.ramforum.com/picture.php?albumid=1532&pictureid=10652

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SCMortgageMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Thanks for the input guys. I did confirm with someone at S&B that the two small holes that I referenced in the original post ARE SUPPOSED to be there and are designed to drain any condensation or moisture that could become trapped in the air box.

WHEW!!! Thought maybe I installed it incorrectly.