downgrading help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So my 8.4 u connect unit has died on me. I took the vehicle to the deal we where I was charged 140 for them to tell me I needed a new radio that would cost 850... I don't have 1000 to throw away. So I found a ra2 5" unit for sale with the a/c bezel for fraction of the price. Can anyone tell me if this will be a direct swap?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
No one has tried that combination ... ATC/MTC HVAC bezel (and its hvac module) and RA2 radio.

The radio will plug in and likely work, just not sure how the extra volume buttons on the original will work. You will also lose some HVAC functionality with the current bezel since those functions were part of the RA4 radio.

Down converting the 8.4 HVAC bezel and module will require some thought out wiring mods and adding the manual uc5.0's 7 speed fan bezel (which you already have).

Honestly, if the radio is actually bad, you would likely be better served buying a used RA4 for $450-$600 and selling the RA2 for $140-$200.

Another option is an aftermarket unit (ie pioneer or Kenwood) compatible with an appropriate "maestro" interface control that will preserve the factory settings on the aftermarket head unit's touchscreen.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm waiting for mine to die.....it's the only way I can justify to the wife of getting the new Kenwood 893S/Maestro setup. ;)

Seriously though, you should be able to source a used RA3 or buy from car-parts for much cheaper than a dealer. You could also go with a cheaper HU with a Maestro setup.

OP
OP

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, I found a ra4 for 350 but I wonder if that would be a direct swap even if I had the 8.4 ra3. I tried seeing which 8.4 u connect unit I have but there's no marked indicator to tell the difference between the two units. I'm hoping after I drive 3hrs to pick up the radio I would be able to just plug everything right back up.

OP
OP

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
BTW thanks everyone. I really do appreciate everyone's help on here.

OP
OP

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No one has tried that combination ... ATC/MTC HVAC bezel (and its hvac module) and RA2 radio.

The radio will plug in and likely work, just not sure how the extra volume buttons on the original will work. You will also lose some HVAC functionality with the current bezel since those functions were part of the RA4 radio.

Down converting the 8.4 HVAC bezel and module will require some thought out wiring mods and adding the manual uc5.0's 7 speed fan bezel (which you already have).

Honestly, if the radio is actually bad, you would likely be better served buying a used RA4 for $450-$600 and selling the RA2 for $140-$200.

Another option is an aftermarket unit (ie pioneer or Kenwood) compatible with an appropriate "maestro" interface control that will preserve the factory settings on the aftermarket head unit's touchscreen.

Thanks, I found a ra4 for 350 but I wonder if that would be a direct swap even if I had the 8.4 ra3. I tried seeing which 8.4 u connect unit I have but there's no marked indicator to tell the difference between the two units. I'm hoping after I drive 3hrs to pick up the radio I would be able to just plug everything right back up.

Express Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It should be a direct swap the RA3 and RA4 aren't much different between the two.

OP
OP

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It should be a direct swap the RA3 and RA4 aren't much different between the two.

That's what I was thinking. But from a thread I read somewhere they claim dodge radios were not interchangeable and if it was possible. I need a vin code?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Watch out for Ra4 radios from some other Chrysler branded vehicles as some are not compatible.
I have a thread that will help you, just a sec..

INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA)

An Ra4 will be a direct swap, plus you get HD radio.
The 2013 & especially the 2014 RA4's have had the least problems with swaps (2015 Ra4 have the latest maps database), but you may not be able to register the radio with uConnect (none of us that have upgraded from non 8.4 radios are allowed on the service) but you may be able to since yours came with one.

That would be the only benefit of getting a new one replaced via a dealership... They should be able to get the authorization to re-add it back on to uConnect's service (apps, etc).

PS: another RA4 takes literally 10-15 mins to install. It's easy.

Last edited:
OP
OP

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Watch out for Ra4 radios from some other Chrysler branded vehicles as some are not compatible.
I have a thread that will help you, just a sec..

INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA)

An Ra4 will be a direct swap, plus you get HD radio.
The 2013 & especially the 2014 RA4's have had the least problems with swaps (2015 Ra4 have the latest maps database), but you may not be able to register the radio with uConnect (none of us that have upgraded from non 8.4 radios are allowed on the service) but you may be able to since yours came with one.

That would be the only benefit of getting a new one replaced via a dealership... They should be able to get the authorization to re-add it back on to uConnect's service (apps, etc).

PS: another RA4 takes literally 10-15 mins to install. It's easy.

That's very important to know. I'll keep everyone updated on how things go when I have the chance to work on my truck Sunday. I should he picking up a ra4 unit tomorrow morning. I hope everything works out well>_< do I need a vin code to get things working?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
That's very important to know. I'll keep everyone updated on how things go when I have the chance to work on my truck Sunday. I should he picking up a ra4 unit tomorrow morning. I hope everything works out well>_< do I need a vin code to get things working?
Not necessarily (I have the files hosted or you can locate a another trucks VIN on eBay), but you will need a 4 digit 'unlock code' for the radio to function in a different vehicle. The seller may provide it, the dealer can give it to you (some will do it by phone) or you can pay for it from an online place like NavRepair.com or similar.

(You will need the s/n of the radio to get the unlock code)

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
PS: some sellers will inadvertantly sell you the wrong pn RA4 thinking it's the same/compatible (happened to me and other members ). Best bet if it's not a local salvage yard is to get a picture of the back of the radio as well to verify the model and PN efficient is why I started the thread to track the pn's.

Last edited:
OP
OP

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
PS: some sellers will inadvertantly sell you the wrong pn RA4 thinking it's the same/compatible (happened to me and other members ). Best bet if it's not a local salvage yard is to get a picture of the back of the radio as well to verify the model and PN efficient is why I started the thread to track the pn's.

I'm hoping I can trust the place I'm getting it from a transmission shop that I found on auto-parts.com.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Good luck with it and keep us informed.

PS: you will need a T20 (or maybe a T15) screwdriver to take it the top 2 screws at the top under the RAM logo/cubby. Then an 8mm (or 7mm) socket to get the radio un-bolted once you pop out the big bezel. Search for radio removal video on YouTube.

I think O'Reily Auto or Autozone has a cheap set...
d9f7bba8345e170e3ac7c8753b36fb69.jpg

Also, see this post for info to unlock the radio connector if you haven't done so before to avoid breaking it.
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1190315

Last edited:
OP
OP

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
done and replaced

I was not able to upload the picture of the install yet, but I ended up taking a small road trip to pick up some finds from the Web and craigslist for the ram. After driving a total of 7hrs on a Saturdays morning i picked up a ra4 vp4/na unit for $500. As well a 2013 long horn chrome bumper with sensor whole, front bumper plastic valence, and rear chrome dual exhaust bumper with all the plastic pieces/lights for $250. I was able to get back home by noonish to install my radio unit which only took 30mins. The reason for the long time on the install was the fact that I had a 7mm universal socket that started to strip the bolt. So I had to run out to my local hardware store to pick up a 6 point 7mm socket. I purchased the code from Navrepair.com.

Thanks everyone for the help. Also, as took out the ra3 it was making weird noises, but I'm guessing it's still fixable. So if anyone needs a broken ra3 radio I have one for sale $200, I think Navrepair.com can fix this for $250.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Glad you are up and running again.

You will have a hard time making any money off a defective RA3 since working ones go for about $300. You will be better off getting it fixed and then trying to sell it, might make a few bucks that way (feel free to send it my way though. ;) ).

Also, CuylerTech from the forum (www.Harness-connection.us) was talking about making a harness to add the factory front and rear park assist sensors. You may want to pm him since you have the bumpers and sensors now.

PS:
Let us know if you are able to reactivate uConnect service on the ra4 since you had it on the previous factory RA3.

OP
OP

504missile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Glad you are up and running again.

You will have a hard time making any money off a defective RA3 since working ones go for about $300. You will be better off getting it fixed and then trying to sell it, might make a few bucks that way (feel free to send it my way though. ;) ).

Also, CuylerTech from the forum (The Harness Connection) was talking about making a harness to add the factory front and rear park assist sensors. You may want to pm him since you have the bumpers and sensors now.

PS:
Let us know if you are able to reactivate uConnect service on the ra4 since you had it on the previous factory RA3.
Yeah you're right. I'll probably fix it and sell it. For the uconnect I'm going to wait to register it. I'm really itching to purchase some long tube headers from jba. I have a 3000 stall, 4.10, and lsd sitting in my house ready to go in.