Drag Link Recall ... Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So now you have a brand new truck with a backyard fix already? I'd be livid!
Yep GsRAM...pretty pissed but not much choice. Went through the long drawn out purchase process, literally 5 minutes before signing final papers "oh by the way, we can't release the truck to you till the recall is corrected".

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yep GsRAM...pretty pissed but not much choice. Went through the long drawn out purchase process, literally 5 minutes before signing final papers "oh by the way, we can't release the truck to you till the recall is corrected".

Wow that is crazy! I think I'd have told them either include a new drag link or no deal. Sorry to hear that. Hope they will eventually do the right thing and replace it for you

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I made an appt with my dealer and I told the guy I didn't like the idea of the weld job. He agreed and said they weren't too hip on it either. I figured I'd have them look at it but not weld it. I then crawled under my truck, 2016 2500 6.4 and it was tight and factory witness marks are there. I was going to call to cancel the appt but got a call from the dealer cancelling the appointment due to not having parts to fix it. So, it appears my dealer is not doing the weld job but is waiting for parts. Who knows...

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It is truly ashame (and FCA should be embarrassed) that the "fix" for this issue is welding nuts on a drag link that has an adjustment there for a reason, so steer ahead can be set during alignment.

For those considering allowing the weld understand that once welded the only way to set steer ahead is by disconnecting the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles one at a time till it's as close as they can get it while keeping the toe setting within spec.

I dont consider that a "fix" at all. It's something that I'd expect to be done in someone's back yard who doesn't care about doing the job right, just wants it done as cheaply as possible. This is about as unprofessional as it gets in my opinion but I've been spinning wrenches for over 30 years now and was taught to do things the right way or not at all.

I'll loosen mine up, apply blue lock tight, re tighten them, mark them and then monitor them. Address it if it happens again. The suggestion of adding a set of jamb nuts was a good one. Lock those down and it would not go anywhere.

I've owned Honda's and when they do need recalls (rare) when they implement a fix it's usually a good one, professional and done. The big 3 still have a lot to learn from them it seems...

Again just my opinion.....I was very disappointed when I read the details of the proposed fix.
Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better. I find it curious though, I've been turning wrenches since the 70's. You spin yours. Something new? LOL.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
In case anyone wants to locktite their nuts but fears Red and doesn't trust Blue, they now make ORANGE Locktite. I **** you not. I bought it a few days ago. It is stronger than Blue and good vibration properties yet you can disassemble w/o heat, unlike Red.

Krashdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone checked whether the "engineers" at Ram used SAE nuts and metric bolts on these parts? They did on some of the JK parts. $84 of new bolts and so far, all good. Which is great because my '14 Willys (that I special ordered) got traded in for an '18 2500 Tradesman (off the lot) last July. Only 1300 miles so far. But I drive a Volvo 780 for a living, not home very often.
My '18 is on the recall, but I'll have a nice talk with the service manager, before they weld anything.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
fdd8d4e00297329495a67a811782b39b.jpg3e743b6fcf430e3889285f395c95fb0f.jpg

Here is the “fix”. Chicken **** if you ask me.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Fix? They didnt fix ****! Lol

They welded it because it was tight. So what was the issue in the first place then?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

Horrible way to treat your customers who just bought 35+ k vehicles from your company.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Fix? They didnt fix ****! Lol

They welded it because it was tight. So what was the issue in the first place then?

Exactly why mine wont be touched! If I couldn't budge mine with two big plumbing wrenches....they aren't going anywhere

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Mine at dealer as I write this, On my 17 he said I could wait for the the recall to REPLACE, as soon as parts available. I insisted they not weld them now. I have been checking them. They were OK with that. Had two other recalls done.

dan welsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just retrieved my truck from the dealer had two recalls Air bag and trans solenoids they called and said the second shift coming in at 3:00 to weld on my steering looked up this thread and saw some of the muffler shop welds and hauled ass to save my truck first thing I do is look under and ATF dripping all over No pride in workmanship

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is crazy. I have no faith in fca.

Over my years of buying vehicles, I've never experienced the number of recalls that I have had with my RAMs. It is to the point that my dealer has a coffee cup with my name on it.

At first, I just brushed off the recalls, I thought OK, so they over-looked a roll-over event, no biggie, a software update. Then I started thinking, roll-overs and airbags are not new so what happened at FCA to cause this issue, nothing left but a complete failure to regression test a new module. That does not follow industry standards.

I don't recall the number of times my 2013 has been in for a recall, the same with my 2015. Water pump, SCR, transmission leak, engine oil pan leak, several reflashes and now this, the drag link.

I don't get the drag link recall at all. First I get a recall letter from FCA that advises me of the issue with the drag link, it also tells me there are no solutions or parts available and I will receive another letter when parts are available. No other solution, no warning to not drive the vehicle, just left hanging out to dry.

Last week I get the second letter, it tells me they will weld the drag link if the nut is at torque spec or replace the drag link if the nut is not at torque spec. On inspection, the drag link nut wasn't even touching the turnbuckle. Guess what, no parts available.

I'm like most folks, I have a RAM HD to pull a fifth wheel RV and this is the time of year my wife and I start traveling. I don't know what to do, I'm just mystified that FCA would leave me in this state.

I think I will order an aftermarket drag link and have my dealer install it. Then I will attempt to get FCA cover the costs. I don't know what else to do. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Over my years of buying vehicles, I've never experienced the number of recalls that I have had with my RAMs. It is to the point that my dealer has a coffee cup with my name on it.

At first, I just brushed off the recalls, I thought OK, so they over-looked a roll-over event, no biggie, a software update. Then I started thinking, roll-overs and airbags are not new so what happened at FCA to cause this issue, nothing left but a complete failure to regression test a new module. That does not follow industry standards.

I don't recall the number of times my 2013 has been in for a recall, the same with my 2015. Water pump, SCR, transmission leak, engine oil pan leak, several reflashes and now this, the drag link.

I don't get the drag link recall at all. First I get a recall letter from FCA that advises me of the issue with the drag link, it also tells me there are no solutions or parts available and I will receive another letter when parts are available. No other solution, no warning to not drive the vehicle, just left hanging out to dry.

Last week I get the second letter, it tells me they will weld the drag link if the nut is at torque spec or replace the drag link if the nut is not at torque spec. On inspection, the drag link nut wasn't even touching the turnbuckle. Guess what, no parts available.

I'm like most folks, I have a RAM HD to pull a fifth wheel RV and this is the time of year my wife and I start traveling. I don't know what to do, I'm just mystified that FCA would leave me in this state.

I think I will order an aftermarket drag link and have my dealer install it. Then I will attempt to get FCA cover the costs. I don't know what else to do. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.
Crawl under it and tighten it. Saw somebody stick a hose behind it on each side of the nut. Ghetto yes. Should we have to do it no. But if you’re truly worried about it just tighten it or do something like that. I may be the exception where I don’t care about the recalls. I’d still not drive a Chevy or Ford lol

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Double edged sword - recalls means they found something (bad?) but it also indicates they are still looking for things to find (good?)

The airbag example - yeah, stuff happens. Just the right scenario that wasnt covered. Sound familiar? Try Boeing. And going back to airbags, Google all of the GMs that are randomly triggering the airbags in cases they are not necessary (off roading at slow speeds, autocrossing on flat ground, etc). At least the airbags dont pop for zero reason on our RAMs.

The drag link seems to be an exception, like they truly dont have any good idea how to fix it correctly so they are using welding to buy them some time. If it were my truck, I would loosen the nuts, put red loctite on the threads then torque the nuts back up to spec. Red Loctite can be defeated (albeit not easily) with heat, so if it ever came down to needing adjusting, a little heat from a torch should help get everything moving. Surely a lot better and easier than having to grind off crappy welds done by some rando dealer tech.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Like other members, I find this issue and FCA response, handling and communication worse than 3rd world stupid. This is a NHTSA safety issue. Filing an on line complaint is now simple and effective. I too tow with our 2500. The thought of this steering part coming lose and what may happen,,,,,you know the rest. I think we are going to purchase a aftermarket part and have it professionally installed.
As a brand loyalist since 1986, I have reached the point where I no longer trust this company's attention to quality, safety or the customers experience. Unfortunately,,,,GM and Ford are not credible alternatives.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Suggestion? Tighten the two nuts up properly and move on. Theres really nothing else that needs to be done. If you cant do something of that nature, just take it in to an alignment shop and have them do it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The easiest way to tell it has come loose is that your steering wheel gradually and slowly starts moving off center. If you see that happening, stop and fix it...now. if not, don't worry about it. Just my $.02

Thats exactly right.

And I can attest. If you actually tighten them up correctly, like the assembly line is apparently not doing, you cant hardly get them apart later on. Trust me, I just about blew my back out the other day trying to loosen them back up.

This **** isn't rocket science. And it doesn't need a damn weld.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca