Drag Link Recall ... Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Damn...that was my fear. $800.00 out of pocket to fix this crap.

Thanks for the link. Gonna have to do some thinking here about what route to go

As said above that $800 is for the whole kit (tie rod as well). So $300 retail...so that plus any labor/tax. That’s what FCA reimbursed me for (+ an alignment too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zhoenixx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you get FCA to reimburse you?!!?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
How did you get FCA to reimburse you?!!?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Go here: https://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/fcanorth/VinInputForm.jsp

Then I put that my drag link had play in it and my dealer said they didn’t have parts (which they didn’t).

Figured it was time now as the risk of NOT getting reimbursed is growing by the day as supposedly parts are starting to show up in places.

As soon as they have parts to replace these with then you’ll have to do the FCA fix and you’d be on your own (out of pocket) for anything aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys. Just tighten the frickin nuts. Theres nothing wrong with the stock setup, some are just loose because they weren't tightened properly.

There really is no issue here that I am aware of. Or is there? Is there actually an issue with the stock setup? Or just a failed attempt at assembly?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Guys. Just tighten the frickin nuts. Theres nothing wrong with the stock setup, some are just loose because they weren't tightened properly.

There really is no issue here that I am aware of. Or is there? Is there actually an issue with the stock setup? Or just a failed attempt at assembly?
I've checked mine twice now. Zero issues it takes 30seconds lol. It takes less time to check em than it takes to post a reply on this forum

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've checked mine twice now. Zero issues it takes 30seconds lol. It takes less time to check em than it takes to post a reply on this forum
I did a d will continue to check them. The fear is that they CAN come loose. Maybe it's just me but I worry about that crap. Especially hauling 4 tons through the mountains with a wife, three kids, and a dog in the truck. Not a good time to lose steering

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a d will continue to check them. The fear is that they CAN come loose. Maybe it's just me but I worry about that crap. Especially hauling 4 tons through the mountains with a wife, three kids, and a dog in the truck. Not a good time to lose steering

Well, I suppose ANY bolt on the truck can come loose then too, eh?

Heres the thing, IF the nuts actually did come loose (which in my opinion is highly unlikely if they are properly tightened), then before there will be any loss of steering you would notice your steering wheel being way off center while you are driving. It would be a very noticeable warning that nobody could miss.

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is truly ashame (and FCA should be embarrassed) that the "fix" for this issue is welding nuts on a drag link that has an adjustment there for a reason, so steer ahead can be set during alignment.

For those considering allowing the weld understand that once welded the only way to set steer ahead is by disconnecting the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles one at a time till it's as close as they can get it while keeping the toe setting within spec.

I dont consider that a "fix" at all. It's something that I'd expect to be done in someone's back yard who doesn't care about doing the job right, just wants it done as cheaply as possible. This is about as unprofessional as it gets in my opinion but I've been spinning wrenches for over 30 years now and was taught to do things the right way or not at all.

I'll loosen mine up, apply blue lock tight, re tighten them, mark them and then monitor them. Address it if it happens again. The suggestion of adding a set of jamb nuts was a good one. Lock those down and it would not go anywhere.

I've owned Honda's and when they do need recalls (rare) when they implement a fix it's usually a good one, professional and done. The big 3 still have a lot to learn from them it seems...

Again just my opinion.....I was very disappointed when I read the details of the proposed fix.
They all do ****** things, I had a 2010 Honda Accord which had a bad VTC actuator in it. I may be a little off on the dates but Honda knew the part was bad starting in 2006 I believe and continued to put the known bad part in their cars until Feb of 2013. I raised all kinds of hell about it, but they refused to pay for it. The dealership said they had been fighting with corporate Honda forever on this. Anyway I had to pay for it out of my pocket, and the loaner the dealership put me in had the same damn problem. Total ******** that I had to pay for their **** up. So no recall on a known bad part they put in their 4 cylinder cars and CRV's for years.

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I bought my Power Wagon 3 weeks ago, they held it at the dealer for 3 days! Wouldn't release it to me until the recall was fixed. They retorqued the 2 nuts, then spot welded them. You would think that they would fix the recall BEFORE putting it on the lot? Wasn't real happy about that....

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
When I bought my Power Wagon 3 weeks ago, they held it at the dealer for 3 days! Wouldn't release it to me until the recall was fixed. They retorqued the 2 nuts, then spot welded them. You would think that they would fix the recall BEFORE putting it on the lot? Wasn't real happy about that....

So now you have a brand new truck with a backyard fix already? I'd be livid!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
They all do ****** things, I had a 2010 Honda Accord which had a bad VTC actuator in it. I may be a little off on the dates but Honda knew the part was bad starting in 2006 I believe and continued to put the known bad part in their cars until Feb of 2013. I raised all kinds of hell about it, but they refused to pay for it. The dealership said they had been fighting with corporate Honda forever on this. Anyway I had to pay for it out of my pocket, and the loaner the dealership put me in had the same damn problem. Total ******** that I had to pay for their **** up. So no recall on a known bad part they put in their 4 cylinder cars and CRV's for years.

Agreed....but honda did eventually release a revised vtc for the 14 crv I had. I had sold mine prior but my mom had the recall done at no charge on hers

It's still had the cold start rattle on a few occasions, but very rare now. Much improved.

agreed though. ..I lost a lot of respect for Honda over that and won't own another one now.

However, at least they don't try to say everything is normal like Dodge and Ford and Chevy do, Which is far worse. At least they acknowledge when there's a problem. Every issue of taking my Dodge into the dealer for they've tried to tell me is normal when I know it's not, which is extremely frustrating

Last edited:

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed....but honda did eventually release a revised vtc for the 14 crv I had. I had sold mine prior but my mom had the recall done at no charge on hers

It's still had the cold start rattle on a few occasions, but very rare now. Much improved.

agreed though. ..I lost a lot of respect for Honda over that and won't own another one now.

However, at least they don't try to say everything is normal like Dodge and Ford and Chevy do, Which is far worse. At least they acknowledge when there's a problem. Every issue of taking my Dodge into the dealer for they've tried to tell me is normal when I know it's not, which is extremely frustrating
True... Honda flat out told me it was a bad part, and that they wouldn't pay to fix it. I'm glad it sounds like you had a little better luck than I did. Yes Honda is on my **** list lol. It just pissed me off to no end that they took a part that they knew was bad and put it in their cars knowing it would be a problem! Then to make the customer pay for it, just ridiculous!! Rant over lol.

Trucker1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just purchased (last week) a 2018 and drove it home. I wanted the manual transmission, so I went 1000 miles to get the pickup. While driving, I noticed steering wheel crooked to left significantly. Upon arriving home I parked the truck for the week. Today I started looking the pickup over and I remembered the steering issue, so I looked it up in and found this forum.

I then proceeded to inspect the truck and see the repair has already been done. The welds had to be made for the dealer to sell the pickup. However the tires are clearly not alligned correctly as the passenger tire is wearing terribly and steering wheel is crooked. I also noticed while inspecting that the pickup is leaking power steering fluid. The welds are terrible in quality, one of the welds is just spatter and no weld.
Any thoughts on ways to resolve the issues? Is the power steering leak related to any of the other issues?
I would go to the dealer I purchased from if they were closer.
Thanks.