Dreaded Evap issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayRam16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all, new to this forum. I have a '16 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. Giving codes, po455,po456, & po457. Replaced gas cap, purge value, and leak detection pump. Reset computer. 3 days later, all 3 come back, plus missing gas cap light. Any ideas. Looks like I'm going to have to pay for a smoke test, (quoted $150). Any help appreciated.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hp Tuners and. Block the codes [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sorry to hear that, but a smoke test SHOULD give a better idea of what to replace. There's many areas of the evap system that can go awry, so paying for the test may be a better idea than replacing parts until it's fixed. I paid a diag fee for my evap code a couple of years ago. Still saved me money in the long run as I replaced the part myself (Purge solenoid).

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hi all, new to this forum. I have a '16 Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi. Giving codes, po455,po456, & po457. Replaced gas cap, purge value, and leak detection pump. Reset computer. 3 days later, all 3 come back, plus missing gas cap light. Any ideas. Looks like I'm going to have to pay for a smoke test, (quoted $150). Any help appreciated.

What did you use to the reset the PCM?

I've experienced your issues and replaced the necessary parts. If the truck still acts up. Just reset the PCM one or two more times. Don't forget the PCV valve. Major one everyone misses.

motox155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds very similar to mine. 15 Ram Sport, 5.7. 100k mi. Started getting the fuel cap message and the CEL. Ran my scanner and had PO456 and 457. Bought a new Mopar gas cap and cleared the CEL. The Gas Cap message never went away and the CEL returned a few cycles later. Next I replaced the leak detection pump. Thought that was the problem but again the gas cap message and CEL returned. I checked the purge valve and it seemed to be operating fine but I replaced it anyway. Same result, CEL was back. Last course of action would be a smoke test but I took one last look at the leak detection pump (which I thought was the culprit). Where it's located it's tough to see so you end up working mostly by feel. I grabbed a light and a mirror so I could get a look at the sealing surface. Once I did that I could see my problem. When I installed the pump I inadvertently knocked the sealing o-ring slightly to the side. It's above the gas tank and hard to see what you're doing. When I twisted and locked on the sealing pump part of the o-ring was bulging out and not completely sealing. Couldn't see it without a mirror. I pulled off the pump, fixed the o-ring and carefully reinstalled. Then I cleared the CEL (again) and the gas cap light went away in about 5 miles and hasn't returned.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Has it been a Florida truck it's whole life? Seems unusual to me to have EVAP issues so soon on a non-rust belt vehicle. Has the fuel pump been replaced recently? Any collision work?

Tripper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have basically the same truck. Does anyone know how this ended?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the follow up, Tripper .

Robert Morasko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2010 RAM 5.7l with evap and gas cap codes coming up after I replace the evap canister, fuel pump twice, gas cap twice, purge cycle pod twice, purge valve. Mechanic also performed to smoke tests, a fuel injector leak down test twice. The mechanic said all the fuel lines look good. Any recommendations?