Dreaded Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Able to get it home tonight going about 25 mph in limp mode. I have cleaned the throttle body again, put it all together, and still runs like poo. Lightning bolt gauge flashes. Tried to pull a code using the ignition and all I get is C-code real quick on the odometer.

Found a used one for 65 but not sure if its worth it....anything else I should look at?

Thanks!
Mike

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
We can get you set up with a better perfoming ported TB if you decide against buying a used stocker.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would upgrade as well instead of buying a stock one again, your truck will like it too lol

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Sounds like a sensor is fried on the inside of the TB. A used one will get you by but ive never been a fan of used electrical unless in 100% sure its good to go. If you have the extra $$ I would go ported. Thats what I did when mine gave up the ghost.

OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks Matt for the offer! :)

Swapped TB with a buddies truck and still the same!!!! :( No chaffed or broken wires, etc.
No codes with the scanner but I took some live readings.

Load % - 36.1%
ETC - 133F
SHRTFT1% - 0
LongFT1% - 2.3%
SHRTFT2% - 0
LongFT2% - 3.1%
Map - 12.4 inHg
RPM - 1302
Spark ADv. -10deg
IAT - 88F
TP% - 17.3

Warm 77f outside ambient air temp.

Truck has new plugs BTW. Would the IAT make the lightning bolt flash on the dash and truck stumble and go into limp mode?

This is my DD.... please HELP! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will yank it out and see what it looks like. thanks!

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
disconnect battery's ground cable for fifteen minutes and see if it helps my two cents

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
was it shifting gears? what would happen if you went over 25 mph?
how many miles are on the truck?

maybe a clogged cat?

OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will look at the ground...thanks!

Yes, it would shift gears....I was able to get it to go about 40 at one point on the trip home but mainly 20-25. Truck just turned 81K.

I would think if the cat was messed up, I would get a code but nothing shows up.

Pulled the map sensor and pcv valve....both look fine.

After doing a ton of research last night, my next step is to tear into and look at the APPS for cable binding, or a bad wire/sensor.

Thanks for the help everyone.

OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well I replaced the APPS today at a tune of $202!! Reset the throttle pedal and the pcm. At first it ran like crap but now it is better. However it will still go into limp mode once every 2 to 3 miles but all I have to do is restart the truck and it is fine. How long does it take for the truck to settle out? I have only put about 15 miles on it so far...

OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well truck took another poo after about 6 hours. A mechanic friend and I have been trying to work it out over the last few days with his diagnostic software. Getting a P2118and 2110 code. He believes the pcm needs a reflash but he does not have the capability for a dodge product. Anyone here have any ballpark figure on the cost at the dealership will be? Truck has been sitting for about 2 weeks now and this sucks!

indybp57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram Quad Cab 2WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a quick way to check the CAT with a vacuum gauge. Hook the gauge up to a vacuum port and observe the manifold vacuum at idle to get a good idea where the baseline is. Rev the engine and hold it as steady as you can. The vacuum should jump then remain reasonably stable. If the vacuum starts to fade as you hold the rpms steady then it could indicate too much backpressure caused by restricted exhaust. It takes about 5 minutes for this check and would quickly eliminate the CAT as a problem. I always take the quick, free, and easy options first.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Well truck took another poo after about 6 hours. A mechanic friend and I have been trying to work it out over the last few days with his diagnostic software. Getting a P2118and 2110 code. He believes the pcm needs a reflash but he does not have the capability for a dodge product. Anyone here have any ballpark figure on the cost at the dealership will be? Truck has been sitting for about 2 weeks now and this sucks!

Are you sure the TB wasn't damaged when you cleaned it? Maybe cleaner damaged the electronics? I'm just askin. Is that when all of your issues started was when you cleaned it?

OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks KG, I was thinking it would be a couple of hundred at a minimum. I will also have a tow bill so I can get it there..

Indy, engine vacuum was fine under idle and load. Agree with your thought process, but looks like it is an electrical issue.

HLRam.... started before I ever cleaned the TB. Used non-chlorinated brake cleaner as everyone recommended. Even replaced it with a used working TB with same results. That is why we believe it may be a PCM issue.

So much for our upcoming NC trip! ugh!

OP
OP
mikes04hemi

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Update....I have replaced the APP sensor, no fix. truck would stay in limp mode.

Replaced the TB with a brand new one from Mopar. Over a one hour period, the truck went into limp mode twice but if I shut the truck off and restarted, it was fine for awhile. Seems to be better now but its still not 100% right.

Does anyone think that i would need a PCM reflash from the dealership? Would replacing the MAP sensor in the intake help it? I am afraid to ask how much it would cost me if i had to reflash it. I can live with $100 minimum.

Thanks!

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im pretty sure my dealer charges 75 or 85 per hour for labor. It tok them right at about an hour to flash mine to turn the fogs on and i think it was 85. Not sure what all they need to do to get it running right again but i bet they can hook their starscan up and diagnose it. After that depending on the problem who knows.

brightwhitesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
At this point it would be worth maybe having the dealer diag it for the amount of money you're spending throwing parts at it, depending on your dealers service reputation, I know some dealers can't fix crap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank