Electrical Issue with instrument cluster and tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 24V Cummins
So heres the deal, I have an 03 ram 3500 with the 5.9. Recently, I started having an issue with the instrument cluster resetting itself. I have been able to troubleshoot and narrow it down a bit,

First, it only does it when it is cold. Once the truck runs for a minute, it does not do it anymore

Second, it seems to only do it with the tuner plugged into the OBD2 sensor port. The tuner is an Edge Performance Tuner.

Three, once the tuner is initialized and sitting on the gauges screen and initialized, the cluster will start to reset. The truck does not sputter at all, does not try to die or run bad, it is just the cluster resetting and the cab lights resetting. It will do this multiple times for as long as 5 minutes, unless you unplug the tuner. Once the truck warms up, either the reset will stop if the tuner is plugged in, or you can plug the tuner in and it will not reset itself.

i was at the dealership and they told me my instrument cluster was bad. I was trying to get another opinion before I went with taking that out and having it rebuilt (Chrysler discontinued the product).

there does not look to be any issues with the tuner, and the fuses look fine. This just randomly started happening about 3 weeks ago.

i also did the cluster display test and got codes:

61 Passenger door lock switch input circuit open.
81 Remote radio switch input circuit high.

thanks for the help

-Chris

Skeptic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere is interfering with your instrument clusters CAN Bus communication. Check for loose plugs and chafed wire insulation. Also find a Factory Service Manual for your make and model, this will make life easier.

i just posted a fix for a similar issue with my 08 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins.