Engine block heater cord installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
2020 2500 with CTD comes with engine block heater element installed but no cord installed.

I installed THIS non-OEM cord off Amazon for $22. Cord is rated for 1800 watts but draws 720 watts when plugged in to 120 volt service when measured using voltmeter.

Heater element is found just behind the oil filter and comes with a small, black rubber cap slipped over it. Having very skinny arms and wrists, I did not have to remove anything to access the heater element.

Cord was ran down to the negative battery cable, ran along there with electrical tape, then adhesive mount zip tied to the chassis and ran into the air intake area just behind the license plate.

Engine block heater cord 1.jpg Engine block heater cord 2.jpg Engine block heater cord 3.jpg Engine block heater cord 4.jpg

I considered installing a mounted receptacle like this guy but I couldn't bring myself to drill the hole in the bumper.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's none of my business, but where in California are you that you need an engine block heater? Nice job by the way, do you hire out?

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
Need is always a relative term. What does anyone truly need? I didn't need the truck but I got it anyway. ;)

I live in northern CA and I don't need to use the heater where I live*. But I got the truck to pull my trailer. This includes pulling it to the mountains for skiing so installing the cord made sense considering that the heater was already installed.

This is also why I needed to know how much power it draws since I'll be running it off battery power through my inverter off my camper batteries.

*That brings up a question that I'd like to know the answer: At what temperature is it advisable to plug in the block heater? My local temperature gets down to 30 in the winter, rarely to the 20s.

No, I don't hire out these twiggy arms. :33:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The need to plug in is starting below 0°F but using it when it's warmer speeds the engine getting up to operation temperatures. I'm sure there's a few that will chime in their CTD(and even the EcoDiesel) will fire up without the block heater when the temps are in the -20°F(s).
I have mine plugged into smart plug, it turns on a couple of hours before I'm going to leave and the outside temp is about freezing (35°F).

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious why a diesel or any engine would have a block heater but not have the cord. Seems half-assed to me. Gee, we can save even more money building these trucks if we put power seats in them with no controls.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm curious why a diesel or any engine would have a block heater but not have the cord. Seems half-assed to me. Gee, we can save even more money building these trucks if we put power seats in them with no controls.

They've been doing that for years. Annoying for sure. My ecodiesel has a block heater but no cord. I can see the plug on my driverside of the block jus tlike the Cummins.

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
So do you just leave the cord "dangle" through the bumper opening. I have to get this installed on my truck soon.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So do you just leave the cord "dangle" through the bumper opening.
I have mine zip tied to my tow hook just long enough I can tuck it into the bumper when it's not in use yet is easily pulled back out.
I also took a three prong ground adapter and cut the prongs and ground tab off, then packed it with dielectric grease to protect the plug when not in use.

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
I thought it would stay tucked into that air intake area on its own but it doesn't. It's not long enough to flop into the ground while driving. I plan to attach a velcro mount inside and put a bit of velcro on the cord. That ought to keep it right.

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Will my 2020 1500 5.7 E-torque have the heating element installed already as well or is that just a 2500 thing?

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
Good question. Not sure where to look on your engine. There was a black rubber sleeve over the threaded connector on my heater element. Look for that somewhere. Good luck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Will my 2020 1500 5.7 E-torque have the heating element installed already as well or is that just a 2500 thing?
The included immersion block heater is a diesel thing. Gassers use a different style that is inserted into the block itself (not the glycol jacket) and is not included if it wasn't optioned from the factory. If I remember correctly on the 5.7 Hemi the OEM block heater is on the driver's side of the motor near the firewall.

You may want to look at Kat's block heaters if your interested in adding one.
https://katsblockheater.com/

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
Update: after 1 year the cable mount adhesive failed at it's connection to the plastic mount. The adhesive stayed on the truck. Fortunately, the cord only dangled a bit but the Velcro in the air intake held the end of it from falling out onto the ground or from getting pulled under the tire. I re-secured the plastic mounts to the frame with VHB tape. We'll see if that holds better. What I really need to do is drill some holes in the frame and install some clips.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
tape , glue, drilling holes in the frame? what the hell. just use a few zipties

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Black zip ties last forever. White zip ties, maybe 3 month. I only ever plug them in when it’s going to be below -15C. The Cummins and Hemi will both start without them at -37C (tested the hard way).

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My 1996 and 2021 are setup exactly the same. You can see the cord wrapped on the holder on the winch bumper. Last picture is the extension cord holder, can be mounted to grill, bumper etc. Cost maybe 10 bucks. You never have to go looking for the extension cord nor is the heater plug flapping around. I also have my in car warmer plugged in to the same extension.

The extension cord holder requires no drilling. It is a clamp arrangement.

yunnust.jpg

YPoIyU4.jpg

UcMOW9H.jpg

1640670441672.png

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
tape , glue, drilling holes in the frame? what the hell. just use a few zipties
Thanks, Jerry. In fact, I did use zip ties but there weren't good places to wrap the ties around, hence the mounts.