Engine noise cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hvytrkmech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check alternator and AC compressor. I have a stethoscope and thermal imager I use to diagnose bearing issues. Also, always change the belt when changing anything driven by it. A worn belt can also create noises similar to what you’re experiencing. Go with a quality belt like Gates HD.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We see that there's some great advice fin this thread! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Check alternator and AC compressor. I have a stethoscope and thermal imager I use to diagnose bearing issues. Also, always change the belt when changing anything driven by it. A worn belt can also create noises similar to what you’re experiencing. Go with a quality belt like Gates HD.
This Past weekend the belt was making a lot of squeaking noise. This morning I sprayed belt conditioner and the squeaking went away allowing me to hear the actual noise that has been bothering me. I will buy a new belt, but here is how it sounds today. I am thinking it might be alternator bearing? it was hot to the touch after running for a while. And if so, can I replace that, or will need new complete alternator? Thank you all!

Last edited: