Engine slow to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bed1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello, I am new to this as I haven't had any big issues with my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. My truck has 175,000 miles and was running as good as the day I drove her off the lot until about 6 -9 months ago. I changed the fuel filter in about March 2012 and ever since then I have been having a slow start. Normally it would only take about one, maybe two on a cold day, turns to turnover. After the fuel filter it would take about 4 seconds to turn over but it was always the same about of time every time. Well like an idiot I didn't take it to a mechanic (Mostly because I like to do all of my maintenance) Well the other day here in Tucson, AZ it finally got down to low 50's - High 40's it would not turnover. I tried until my battery got too low to turn it over strong. Well Later that day when it warmed up it started. I didn't have time to take it anywhere so I left it and now its been cold all day and a lot more at night. I don't know what could be wrong. Anyone have any help?? I live too far to have someone look at it and I can't afford to have a mechanic work on it this time of year anyways... Please help....

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The temperatures you mentioned are high enough that you shouldn't have to wait for the grid heater but can you hear it clicking when you turn the key to the on position

Most of the signs point to the battery being at the end of its life cycle, I and another member with an 05 cummins both replaced our batteries last winter but it doesn't make sense that a fuel filter would really change anything

Do happen to remember what kind of filter it was and how many miles have you put on it sense?

OP
OP
B

bed1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes battery's were both purchased in Jan/Feb 2012 and even when the weather warmed up it still took the 4sec to start even with a low battery or a strong battery. Its got me puzzled. I just wish it would warm up just enough to turn over to at least get it down and diagnosed. I did read the other posts that your refering to but I know it can't be the batterys. I know it's strange that it would happen right after the fuel filter change, I'm wondering if maybe I didn't change it right or some grim/dirt fell off and clogged the fuel pump but why would that matter what the temperature is outside. IDK!!!!

OP
OP
B

bed1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Not sure what the filter was.. Should I try and change that? someone else I talked to said to maybe bleed the fuel line? I'm not sure how to do that though.

OP
OP
B

bed1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think so... It screws all the way down tight.