Engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigovasquez88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 03 Dodge Ram 1500 w/ the 4.7L engine has developed a tick on the passenger side . Seems to be coming from the valve cover. Lifter/lash adjusters? Tell me what you think.

This truck has been babied since purchasing in 03. Oil changes every 3k, maintenance, tune ups..etc..The tick developed recently after a trip out of town to Monterey,Ca.

Currently using Mobile 1 full synthetic high mileage 5w-30 and stp oil filter.

I have video of it at the link below.

Last edited:

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Hard to tell... Exhaust manifold gasket or crack. Is it louder at cold start?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rigovasquez88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greg - On a cold start it is barely noticeable at first and gets progressively louder and faster as the engine warms up. Sometimes if I don't start the engine for like a week the tick is gone for about 5 minutes after startup. Its weird.

OP
OP
R

rigovasquez88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RonJon - I used a stethoscope to pin point the noise to the passenger side valve cover. I opened it up but everything looks ok in there. No play on any of the rocker arms or lash adjusters that I could tell and the timing chain and guides looked good from what I could see. I guess I was hoping someone could identify it by the sound because it seem like a pretty distinct sound.

Last edited: