Engine Trouble assist? - Temp Sensor code P0117

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CZSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Had trouble yesterday with engine temp sensor, engine stalling and steam/coolant blow-out just after engine stalled.
Rig: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 - 5.7 Hemi - Auto/2WD - 200k Mileage

Events Yesterday:
- Driving noticed analog temp gauge reading zero and CEL light on.
- Drilling thru Digital Menu for temp readings showed 'No Reading' at all; just the "---" lines; rest of temps such as oil & trans we're fine.
- No heat when HVAC set to full hot/heat.
- Was running fine.
- Presumed just had a bad sensor; continued for a few miles until exit.
- Upon stopping at light the engine stuttered and died; tried re-starting to get to side of road, starter was very sluggish as if hot.
- A brief moment later steam pouring out from under hood.
- Didn't open hood until steam stopped; not certain of where blowing from but appears to be from underside of radiator cap from blow pattern and water signs - did not see any signs of steam coming from the block/heads thus hoping not a blown head-gasket issue.
- After setting for 30-45 minutes tried to start with thought of moving to side a side road to unblock intersection lane; truck started fine and sounded & idled fine - moved over to side road ASAP and shut off for two truck / brought home.

Now:
- Engine still starts fine and idles & sounds fine; not running for longer than 30-seconds.
- Reading Code P0117 (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Low).
- No sign of damage to radiator, hose, filler-neck, cap etc... with exception of overflow reservoir cap missing but presuming it was blown off if assumption is correct that steam was blowing from below radiator cap as the reservoir cap is next to and below.
- Also, Digital water-temp is now showing an actual number as opposed to the "---" dash lines; granted number is 100F as not running long enough to build heat.

I'm confused as to why their was apparently a build-up of pressure under the radiator cap and cause for engine to stutter and die.
Obviously PRAYING nothing catastrophic to the engine from heat.

At this stage I figure I'd change out the following:
- Thermostat
- Temp Sensor
- Radiator Cap
- Coolant change

Thoughts as to why the steam blowout?
Assuming/Hoping it was only temp sensor failure and/or thermostat?

Thought just now: Thermostat was stuck closed while driving and for some reason it released/opened when I stopped and flooded radiator with a blast/overload of hot coolant? Thus over-whelming the radiator and causing blow-by at the cap?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve