Engine Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R G F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2021 1500 Laramie Etorque. I have an engine vibration at 1400 rpm. This only happens when the truck is in "ECO" mode. It is most noticeable at 43mph in 7th gear or 53mph in 8th gear. I can shut off the "ECO" mode and the engine is smooth. Is this normal?? The engine/transmission stumbles (slightly) until the engine warms up. Also, the backup camera has stopped working. I only have a black screen in reverse or when I activate in the APPS. The truck is only 3 months old with 3000 miles.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Oh Wee Oh . To the Dealership We Go

MDS / Eco Mode is the devil

With that few miles on it, has the oil been changed yet? Do you put decent fuel in it?

OP
OP
R

R G F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No oil change yet. I thought it was due at 5000 miles. I run 89 octane.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Strange as it may seem, the ECO light is not connected to the MDS. The MDS can come on and go off regardless of the ECO light. The light just means you are being a good boy with the skinny pedal.

You can turn the MDS off by using the shift +/- button on the steering wheel, Press - once, so the instrument cluster shows 8. This means that 8th gear is the highest gear the transmission will go to, but when in 'manual
mode' the MDS will not kick in. If you lose the vibration when the 8 is showing, it could be MDS.

As for the backup camera, my guess is that it is unrelated.

OP
OP
R

R G F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have done this and the engine is smooth at any rpm in 8-. My understanding is that MDS disables 4 of the cylinders. I was wondering if this unbalanced the engine or if there was another problem.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Strange as it may seem, the ECO light is not connected to the MDS. The MDS can come on and go off regardless of the ECO light. The light just means you are being a good boy with the skinny pedal.

You can turn the MDS off by using the shift +/- button on the steering wheel, Press - once, so the instrument cluster shows 8. This means that 8th gear is the highest gear the transmission will go to, but when in 'manual
mode' the MDS will not kick in. If you lose the vibration when the 8 is showing, it could be MDS.

As for the backup camera, my guess is that it is unrelated.

Ah, I was under the impression that MDS and Eco Mode were tied together. I thought when you see Eco light on the dash that meant MDS was active. I have turned that mess off every time I drive the truck.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have to say I can't really tell when MDS is on. Maybe I am just not sensitive to it, but I don't notice.

I have seen posts here where people who have modified the exhaust find it annoying, mine is stock.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to say I can't really tell when MDS is on. Maybe I am just not sensitive to it, but I don't notice.

I have seen posts here where people who have modified the exhaust find it annoying, mine is stock.

I could especially tell on the 3 4th gens I had with muffler swaps, and I can still tell on my stock 21. Certainly not as blatant (especially sounding) but I can very clearly feel it, like previous trucks I disable it around town and usually let it go on the highway for longer trips.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Normal operation ,drive on .