ETHANOL FREE ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I have been considering switching to ethanol free gas.I have always used 89 octane E-10 which is currently $4.19 gal..I found a station nearby that offers 90 octane ethanol free for $3.26 gal..Other than it being .93 cents cheaper,what would be the pros and cons of switching to E-FREE.I was shocked at the price difference because I always heard it would cost more(if I could find it).I am not looking to pinch pennies,I just want to do what is best for my truck.

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I have read some old threads here and looked on the internet a bit but I am getting conflicting results.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you use real gasoline in any modern vehicle

the only bad thing that will happen, will be corn billionaires won't make as much money

By the way, your MPG will increase to what the manufactures claim
( you will see in the ads, your vehicle gets X amount of MPG, that MPG is with 89 octane petroleum gas ), not corn gas

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
So, almost a dollar per gallon cheaper and more mpg.Sounds good to me as I currently only get about 11 mpg(all city),but I also drive like a cowboy.I read somewhere that it will give a slight boost in power and also read that it does not burn as clean causing carbon,is there any truth to that?It just seems like there has to be a reason why everybody would not use it if it was available.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ethanol free would be great if it was 93 but tuned is another world that not everyone understands.Very few stations around here have 93 but ethanol plants are all over so it’s even harder to understand.

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Really weird that it is so much cheaper, usually ethanol free gas is much more expensive. If you can buy it that cheap, run it.
Yes, the fact that it is so much cheaper is what has me skeptical.Usually when something sounds too good to be true,it is.Anyhow, I will put some in my mower and check it out.I will probably ck. some other e free prices in the area and compare.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My Grand Mothers Brother used to drink Cow Corn Squeazin's, he tapped the bottom of the Corn silo, i think he drank it after the corn had frozen a couple of times, so he had cheap alcohol
( i never tried to set it on fire ) maybe that is why there is 15% gasoline in Ethanol Gas, needed something to start it burning

This was the type of silos that we had, one for cow corn & one for grasses, like Wheat , Oats , etc.

This silo is in bad shape, but it was the style that we had
495269742_30411550ab_b.jpg

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your mileage should go up .

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Run it if you want and it ain't going to hurt anything.

I'm also wondering why it's priced less than ethenol gas ... that's an unexpected bonus for you ... better fuel for less $$.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that. I'm a few hours South of the OP and the corn-free gas (91 octane) is roughly .60c more expensive.
Had BOIRD scratching his "beak""> 1st time heard ethanol free was cheaper.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never seen it, but boy howdy I'd like to.... LOL
One station in town, an Exxon says they have. I have not bothered to stop and check, because I know which gas stations in town take care of their fuel tanks and service their pumps regular like, and this station is not one of them.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've never seen it, but boy howdy I'd like to.... LOL
I've saw that happen one time at the CFN station I drive by every day. A few years ago I noticed the ethanol free 91 octane was more than a dollar cheaper than the 87 octane e10 right next to it. I filled up all three of my vehicles that day LOL. They quickly remedied that though. Normally it's at least 60 cents per gallon more than the 87 ethanol there.